Back from a two month national parks tour

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Back from a two month national parks tour

Postby deceiver » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:53 pm

Today the wife and I got back from a tour of some of the national parks around the country. We traveled over two months, nearly 11,000 miles in our little guy 6 wide.
All went well. We saw some amazing, amazing stuff. We started in Maine, followed the northern US/Canadian border, traveled down the west coast then through the colorado plateau and all the canyons. Glacier, Yosemite, Olympic, Death Valley, Devils tower, Badlands, Redwoods, Crater, Grand canyon, bryce, zion, etc.. etc.. etc..
A very long trip indeed and we're glad we're home. Only issue was a new fuel pump in Buffalo Wyoming.

Issues with the Little Guy? Well the inside treads wore out much faster than the outside edge of the tires. I backed into a post... small crack. and the walls separated a bit on the sides from the frame. None of these things caused any issues but annoying that they happened.

I have an extensive blog with a link to it below.
http://web.me.com/deceiver6/windrose/Blog/Blog.html
Click 'archives' at the bottom of any page to see the earlier ones. Each blog has numerous pictures. The latest are at the top btw.
Last edited by deceiver on Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conform and be dull.
deceiver
The 300 Club

Postby Ratkity » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:39 am

I really enjoyed your blog and spent a lot of time reading and reliving areas that I've visited in the past. In the summer of 1986, I took a trip with 30 other students across the US and down into Mexico. The best parts were the National Parks you hit and blogged about. Wonderful areas!

Just as an aside, do you think that the post backup incident contributed to the wall separation issue? Just curious. I have a LG reverse TD. I've had it since May (I thought March, but saw the paperwork recently). I've only put 1/10th the mileage on it so far!! One day I'd like take that trip across the US again, just like you two did!

Thanks again for such great pictures and memories,
Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:27 am

:applause: :thumbsup: Great Blog....You have some wonderful pictures in there. Thanks for sharing them with us!
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Nathan N » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:25 pm

Enjoyed reading about your adventure. Thanks for sharing!

Nathan
Nathan N
Lifetime member

Travel

Postby Mrs Rayvillian » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:10 pm

Thanks for sharing your trip. Gary and I are dreaming of the day when we can take off for a couple of months .... you have given us hope that it can really happen ... particularly since you did it in a little guy. :applause: Trudy
Mrs Rayvillian
Teardrop Master

Postby deceiver » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:46 pm

The wall separation is on both sides and from about a foot in front of the behind the wheels. I'm going to remove the wheels and bolt some metal plate along the bottom edge of both sides behind the wheels after I use some good sealer. I can actually see the road between the floor and wall inside. I'm okay with modifications so I'm not too worried about it. The crack that is pretty much the length of the back bulge from top to bottom side of on of the backup lights lasted 10,000 miles with black duct tape. It looks like a racing stripe, lol. The wall is thin fiberglass so I don't know what I'll be doing with it. I could order another from little guy.
I may simply keep patching it. I figure when I'm done with this trailer I'll eventually be selling it for a good price to someone who wants a trailer with lots and lots of miles on it. This trip was what many people do in 10 years. The trailer was purchased used. It was a 2006. I've had it for under a year now. I did a lot of mods but I will have gotten what I payed for it in use and then some. All during the trip on those long roads in the midwest, I thought of what I could do with my 10 foot utility trailer sitting at home.....I'm getting itchy.

Ratkity wrote:I really enjoyed your blog and spent a lot of time reading and reliving areas that I've visited in the past. In the summer of 1986, I took a trip with 30 other students across the US and down into Mexico. The best parts were the National Parks you hit and blogged about. Wonderful areas!

Just as an aside, do you think that the post backup incident contributed to the wall separation issue? Just curious. I have a LG reverse TD. I've had it since May (I thought March, but saw the paperwork recently). I've only put 1/10th the mileage on it so far!! One day I'd like take that trip across the US again, just like you two did!

Thanks again for such great pictures and memories,
Hugs,
Ratkity
Conform and be dull.
deceiver
The 300 Club

Postby Wild Bill » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Great journey, I am sure a lot of us want to take that or a similar trip someday. Did you do any Boondocking along the way? Good that your truck and trailer problems did not cut your trip short. Bill
Beavers are Naughty!
Wild Bill
The 300 Club

Postby deceiver » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:51 pm

Wild Bill wrote:Great journey, I am sure a lot of us want to take that or a similar trip someday. Did you do any Boondocking along the way? Good that your truck and trailer problems did not cut your trip short. Bill

Amazingly we didn't have to. We did get shut out of the grand canyon though as it was full. A ranger gave us a tip of a wild area on a 3 mile dirt road. It was at 9000 feet and overlooking the canyon. We stayed two days there. It was the best camping spot of all.
Conform and be dull.
deceiver
The 300 Club

Postby 2KIRKS » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:51 pm

Your trip looks awesome. Do you mind me asking how much you spent on gas?
nites camped 2012 - 1
nites camped 2011 - 0
nites camped 2010 - 21
nites camped 2009 - 35
2KIRKS
Teardrop Master

Postby deceiver » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:19 am

2KIRKS wrote:Your trip looks awesome. Do you mind me asking how much you spent on gas?

Actually we started keeping track then gave up. The tahoe does about 17 mpg with the camper and we went nearly 12,000 miles. That works out to roughly $2000

I can say, even though it's a generalization, that in the north central and west the gas was about 2.89-2.99/gallon. In the south central/south east it was about 2.48-2.58/gallon an in the northeast it was about 2.69-2.75/gallon.
At the time and like I said a rough region/gas price observation in Aug/Sept 2010.
Conform and be dull.
deceiver
The 300 Club

Postby 2bits » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:08 pm

I loved reading the blog and seeing all the great photos from your incredible journey! I loved Yellowstone the most I think! Can you even choose!!!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby hiker chick » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:58 pm

Bravo! Congrats on the fantastic trip and thanks for sharing your experiences.

:thumbsup:
Hot Stuff Today, Dog Stuff Tomorrow

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:49 am

thanks so much for sharing! loved all the pics.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales