Our First Teardrop Trip/Wife's First Camping Trip

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Our First Teardrop Trip/Wife's First Camping Trip

Postby MIKE & CATHY » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:50 pm

Our trip 10/9/10-10/16/10. Mt. View-Auburn-Clear Lake-Garberville-Russian River-Placerville-Auburn-Mt.View

Objectives and answers.
1. Is the teardrop "right" for our needs.
a. Not really. Something like a tent trailer with a dinette table, more floor space, stand up height, & heater, would be better for us & our dogs. However, a teardrop would be better in the wind and rain.
2. How will the dogs do traveling for more the a couple of days and in tourist stops. (Bradley 40# Keeshond, Coco 65# Chocolate Lab)
a. Dogs did great. Traveled well. Visited well. Seemed to have a good time.
3.Condition of campgrounds.
a. Bad. State and private campgrounds appeared to be rundown, poorly maintained. Bathrooms and showers ranged from poor to awful.
4.October camping.
a. Marginal. Heater needed near coast. Weather unpredictable. Lots of road construction delays. Our great "Indian Summer" seemed to only last about a week this year.
5. How would my truck do. "98 Toyota T100 V6 Automatic 2WD.
a. OK, even up steep grades. A full sized truck with a V8 would be better for pulling a trailer much over 1000#.
6. How would Cathy do.
a. Marginal. Long time spent traveling wore her down. Dirty public bathrooms and showers and dusty dry campgrounds ruined it for her.
7. How would I do.
a. Marginal. short tempered and disappointed.

We were hoping to get better answers to our objectives and to start planning our next trips.
Pictures may follow, if we can get our Photoshop working again.
We welcome your comments.
Mike & Cathy
MIKE & CATHY
Teardrop Inspector

Postby High Desert » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:05 am

don't pronouce the dream dead yet Mike.

Try in better weather, it can make it a completely different experience. And check into a side tent like many folks use. A great addition and it allows for that whole standing up thing. You can also take along a porta potti easy that way. Best of luck to you both.
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby madjack » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:28 am

...don't give up the ship yet...the first thing is an Easy-Up (or Screen room) type of shelters...they are almost a must have...the addition of that "living room" space is invaluable...add a side kit as needed(or wanted) and they can be heated pretty easily...a shower/changing/potty tent with the addition of a porta pottie can alleviate the distant, dirty bathroom problems...made a big difference for my wife(aka the poor girl)...

...can't comment much on camp ground problems you had...most of our state parks are pretty nice as are the Corp of Eng campgrounds...might look at other types of campgrounds...and by all means...ATTEND A GATHERING :thumbsup:
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby ERV » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:37 am

We take a Newf. 165 pounds of love and slobber We have a pickup too and that is where he sleeps. He does come in the tear to see us tho. But not long, ha.
Last edited by ERV on Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
ERV & JAN
Medina, Ohio
ERV
Silver Donating Member

Postby ERV » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:40 am

I think you did a little to much for your first time out. Sounds like you didn't have time to even sit around the fire and relax. It was suppost to be a get-away for the two of you. Our first trip was to a small State park fairly close to home.
We did a lot of camping when we were young though, and in a tent. We knew to take a tarp for extra room. And we planed on doing just camping and relaxing. The tear was 100 % better than a tent, 90 % better than a pop-up trailer. When we get home now from camping, we can just go in the house and do other things. No drying out of tents, no pulling the camping stuff out of the car.
Janny and I are outside people though. We come home from work and start a camp fire and sit outside, away from all the modern world. And we do that year round. Heck, our back yard looks like a camp ground, ha.
When we go camping we take a lot of stuff though. It is nice to be comfortable. Look in some of our albums here. You will get and idea of what it is you need. :thumbsup:
ERV & JAN
Medina, Ohio
ERV
Silver Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:46 am

There are different designs of teardrop, ours is a grasshopper, that has more room inside 6'X11' and uses an aluminum frame so it is lighter than many smaller tears.
What you have inside and outside is limited only by your imagination and some physical constraints. I would be willing to bet you were in a 4X8', far too small, and with a couple of good sized dogs way too small.
A number of members have mocked up layout using cardboard.
Come to a Tearjerkers gathering and see first hand what folks have done.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:19 pm

An outing should be measured in smiles NOT miles.

We have over reached and had terrible outings. The stress of getting there on time and driving in unfamiliar territory all took a toll.

As others have said a first up style tent is a must with us.

It serves as a 10 x 10 livingroom. It can also provide extra food prep space , a refuge from the sun and the rain. A corner can be utilized as a porta potty / shower area with a simple tarp or a smaller pop up potty tent.

A group gathering adds a great deal of fun to any outing. While we go for private get aways we have far more fun when we have our camping posse with us.

You are in the 4-5 outing school of hard knocks. Our 1st we damn near froze to death. Our second we forgot matches. Our 3rd we melted in 100 degree pounding sunshine. Our 4th we almost drown. They have smoothed out now and we have learned the tricks and what to bring and what to leave home.

A wine and cheese party saved by a pop up !

The kitchen extention and conversation nook

The living/recreation room

Our kitchen extention dining room

The covered kitchen during the rainy spring gathering
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby MIKE & CATHY » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:51 pm

Thanks for the feed back. That's what I was hoping to get.

Are there any campgrounds, Federal, KOA, or others, that consistanly do a better job keeping their bathrooms cleaner?

I had a tent trailer and did alot of camping when my daughters were pre-teens, but that was 30 years ago.

We hadn't planned on traveling as much as we did, but closed and partially closed and crummy campgrounds kept us moving looking for a place to stay a few days.

We had rented/reserved a 5x8 American Teardrop for our trial run, but it had a wiring short, so they gave us a 5x10 teardrop instead. I really think the extra 2' was of minimal value to us. The 5x8 would have been fine.
I really have to say something about American Teardrop Sales and Rental in Auburn, CA. The three guys we delt with there were great. Helpful, honest, low pressure. If I was, or do get, in the market to buy a teardrop, I'd definitely buy from them.

There are a few things I'd modify if I bought an American Teardrop and people that have them or similar teardrops might consider these ideas.
1. The bottom of the galley door when opened on level ground was 5'7"high, with sharp corners. I'd file the corners blunt and raise the hatch at least 6" higher (or wear a hard hat all the time).
2. I'd put rubber gromets in the frame holes where the wiring passes through it to keep the wiring from chafing and shorting out.
3. I'd put a 2x4 just inside the side door opening as a ledge so that you could sit there.
4. I'd relocate the tongue pivot wheel (?) back 8"-12" so that I could open the tailgate of my truck with the trailer still attached.
5. I'd reinforce the interior panel between the galley and the sleeping area. It kept getting knocked loose from stuff in the galley pushing on it.
6. Better suspension would be helpfull. I've had other small trailers that bounced much less. I broke stuff in the galley.

One more thing. I've traveled through Northern California a lot in the past, but it was mostly over 30 years ago. I was shocked by the poverty we saw this time. Run down towns, homeless people living in parks, people living in tumbled down houses and mobile homes. I guess it's an unfortunate sign of the times we are living in.

Mike
MIKE & CATHY
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Oasis Maker » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:15 pm

Hey Mike, you're just getting your camping IQ back. IMHO I would ditch the expectations for public showers and bathrooms. It's too unpredictable no matter where you're at. Have an impeccably clean bathroom and then one guy with poor aim uses it before you - guess what - it's an instant dump now.

Having your own private shower, porta potti, and changing room can be really simple, quick, and easy with a pop up. I use the Outback Porta Privy. I shower using a Zodi Extreme. And I use a Luggable Loo with Wag Bags.

There are solutions to every "perceived" problem on your list. It's just having the right equipment to match your needs, developing an efficient system for set up and take down, and learning the best spots to get away to. Bliss is just beyond the learning curve - I guarantee it.

Scott

Jeeping, Teardropping, and Cycling!......Where To Next?
Jeep Wave>> :peace: <<Jeep Wave
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Oasis Maker » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:36 pm

Another thing. You're traveling with your lovely lady and there are a ton of ways to make your outings very romantic, thus changing her skepticism. (And if Mama is happy...)

As others have said, having a little offshoot living area is awesome. I actually bring a portable lightweight, and very quick to put up hammock with me. I put the hammock in a screen room with candles and sometimes incense burning at a camping spot right on the ocean. You watch the sunset over the ocean with your woman, hear the waves crashing, and sip some wine... I think you'll be heading towards her giving this whole thing a BIG thumbs up.

This is the setup in my backyard.

This is my regular campsite in Carlsbad.

Have a week or weekend experience like this with your wife and let's see what your list looks like when you get back. ;)

Scott
Jeeping, Teardropping, and Cycling!......Where To Next?
Jeep Wave>> :peace: <<Jeep Wave
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:15 pm

:( Sorry your trip was a bummer... Everything above is true. Extend your territory or be a fair weather camper...A pop up won't be that much bigger and it is still a tent...

Can't be beat and your still outside. I am waiting for them to make clear sides...

“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby tearhead » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:07 pm

I hope Cathy will be up for another try. I'm wondering with the budget situation in California if the campgrounds aren't being kept up as they normally would be. We have lots of California members, so maybe you'd want to identify the area you're intending to visit and then check in with people in the region regarding campground recommendations. The niceness of the campground does make a difference, I think. But really, how much time do you spend in the bathroom? If you find one with hot water and flush toilets, that's super.

I'd echo the comments of those who recommended a canopy. If it's cold weather, it's nice to have one with sides. This makes a huge difference in the "keeping warm" department. Our Coleman lantern is almost enough to heat the canopy with the sides on, but we're thinking of bringing a little ceramic heater along next time. Also, an electric mattress pad is nice.

I'd also echo the advice to attend a gathering. And bring Cathy! And enlist the aid of some of the women who are going, who might take Cathy under their wing.

We're former tent campers who had gotten used to hotels and then got hooked. We LOVE teardrop camping. LOVE LOVE LOVE. It's so comfortable to sleep in that when I can't fall asleep at home, I visualize being in the teardrop.
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Postby trailtrekerNJ » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:03 pm

Pat and I share some of the same concerns and triumps.
1 - Too many straight days in a TD do take its toll.
1a - Pat and I agreed to spend 2 or 3 days in TD and then 1 or 2 days @
a hotel.
2 - Bathrooms @ state parks are lacking for Pat.
Weekenders do tend to trash the bathrooms. Shame on them!!!
During the week is better.
Kudos to the staff for maintaining them as well as they do.
2a - Pat prefers and we frequent KOA Kampgrounds when traveling
together.
When I travel alone I use State campgrounds. Six years in the
service and they are not that bad.
3 - Our dog is small, Cocker Spaniel.
3a - No problem he loves to travel and meet people.
4 - As to the size of a TD.
4a - It's a glorified tent meant to keep sleeping off ground.
It provides security to camper and personal belongings.
If we continue to tow we will look into a small trailer such as Silver
Stream Bambi or a Casita.
5 - Non condusive weather....kind of tough to spend long periods
cramped / sitting inside.
5a - Pahqua add on tent (tough to set up in rain), EZ up shelter with add
on screens or panels. Buddy Heater in add on tent.
trailtrekerNJ
Teardrop Advisor

Postby nevadatear » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:09 pm

I would echo previous posts. We camp mostly in Ca and NV. There is no one "type" fed, state, KOA that does better than others. The best bathrooms I have ever seen were in a state campground in NV. Another state campground in NV holds the title for the worst I've seen as well. Some of the worst have also been commercial campgrounds that we paid big bucks for. If they have showers period, I consider myself lucky. I do think it is a matter of expectations, as mentioned before. If this is a high point item for ya'all, and it sounds like it is, then bring your own. I do the same, outback shower shelter and homemade hot water heater, I have a shower no matter where we go, and potty too, If I want. It is camping, so it is not like home. National parks are no better, and often worse, than state or county parks, in my experience, plus they are more crowded.

I think the huge budget crunch in CA has made a big difference in upkeep in the parks, and I expect it to get worse before it gets better.

One point to address--Before deciding a 10 ft doesn't have advantages over a 8ft, I would suggest you try they 8ft as well. For us the extra 2 feet is a huge amount of storage space that we would otherwise be storing in the car. You might be surprised. But maybe the big difference is we own ours, so everything stays stored in the tear, and that two feet lets us add food and clothes and we are gone for the weekend.
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby CAJUN LADY » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:13 pm

You know Mike, not everyone loves a Teardrop but the ones who do, really love them. For one thing, it's much better than a tent. You get to socialize more since you have no choice but to cook outside. Setting up an EZ Up extends your living area so you won't feel so closed in and you can sit under it if it begins to rain.

I had a 5x10 and just loved it! I liked the fact that I could handle it alone and could pull over where ever and get in and sleep if I had to. I enjoyed it for 2 years and decided I wanted something a little bigger - a standie. I love my Serro Scotty but I sure do miss my Tear.

As far as campground bathrooms, I've also seen some great ones and horrible ones. Two of the nicest I've seen are Ft. Clich SP in Fernandina Beach, FL and Lake Monroe SP right outside of Orlando. Lake Monroe was a very small campground, maybe 26 campsites but the bathhouse was wonderful! There were 8 individual, private bathhouses under one roof. You walk in the door and it's all yours - one large shower, toilet and sink. That was awesome! :thumbsup:

Ft. Clinch SP has a very, very nice bathhouse. It was all new, large and air conditioned. They also had electric outlets so you could use hair dryers. There were also benches to sit on, which almost came in handy when my A/C quit working in my Teardrop and it was hot and humid. I was tempted to go sleep in that bathroom! ;)

Whatever you decide to buy I hope you get as much enjoyment as everyone on this forum does with their trailers. And please try and attend a gathering . . . the people you will meet are the best! :)
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Next

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales