Gumby @ Yorktown

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Gumby @ Yorktown

Postby trailtrekerNJ » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:39 pm

I am a little late posting this report, we have returned home. Friday was a change of weather, 43 degrees when we woke up, topping off at 63 degrees and dropping quick at night. No fun sitting outside the TD, after the sun set and not to comfortable inside typing on a laptop.

Yorktown Battlefield was a disappointment after having visited Valley Forge and even Jockey Hollow. Would have thought there would have been a few monuments, however only wooden posted signs described areas or events of the area. The only monument was the one dedicated to the fifty unknown French Soldiers buried at the site.

The area is beautiful for bicycle riding or walking, this time of year. I could imagine the parking lot affect in the summer with all the drivers traversing the route. It would behoove the NPS to personally conduct tours via open / natural gas busses such as those in Yellowstone.

After the Americans captured Redoubts #9, they set up the Great American Battery to bombard Yorktown.

While the Americans bombarded from land and the French from the sea, citizens of Yorktown sought shelter in caves built into the shoreline bluffs.

Upon surrender the British and German armies marched from Yorktown 2 miles to surrender field.

Along the ramp leading up the Surrender Field Pavilion captured armament is displayed. Each piece is engraved with “Surrendered By The Capitulation Of Yorktown Oct. 19, 1781â€
trailtrekerNJ
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:17 pm

:applause: :thumbsup: Looks great to me! Very nice pictures too. ;)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales