First camping trip - Lake Charles S P

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Postby Lookfar » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:15 am

It's a nice little park, Becca. Had the loop pretty much to myself, though a few people did drive by, very slowly. Not quite like living in Brandon, but I'll take it...
Butch
Lookfar
Donating Member

Postby CAJUN LADY » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:59 pm

It's much prettier camping where you are than here...believe me! No leaf color changes in this part of the state.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:45 pm

Lookfar wrote:By the way, like your new avitar. Where was it taken?

Butch,

I was going to mention the photo, but then I didn't want to give away another great Arkansas state park.

The photo is a picture of DeGray Lake State Park. We go there about once every other year, but I believe it was last year when the lake was way up.

Big or small, you can't beat Arkansas state parks.

Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby 2bits » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:40 pm

I am so glad to see that this one is within driving distance for me! :twisted:
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby Lookfar » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:55 pm

I hate to admit that you know Arkansas parks better than I do Tom. Even if it's true. But I've only been here about 1 1/2 years.
I hope no one thinks I want to keep Arkansas Parks a secret (but just the forum?). Aside from last week, it has been over 20 years since I camped here and that was at The Narrows at Greers Ferry. I'm just learning about them myself.
Let me know if you decide to go there again. We might be able to get a few people together, between gatherings. Thomas sounds like a possibility.
Butch
Lookfar
Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:03 am

Lookfar wrote:I hate to admit that you know Arkansas parks better than I do Tom. Even if it's true. But I've only been here about 1 1/2 years.
I hope no one thinks I want to keep Arkansas Parks a secret (but just the forum?). Aside from last week, it has been over 20 years since I camped here and that was at The Narrows at Greers Ferry. I'm just learning about them myself.
Let me know if you decide to go there again. We might be able to get a few people together, between gatherings. Thomas sounds like a possibility.

Butch,

I discovered Arkansas through a combination of horse racing, mountain biking (when I was younger and thinner and physically fit), visiting my brother at school in Fayetteville and working in Hot Springs for two years. Each of these is a long-winded story so to keep from boring everyone I'll share them with you around a campfire some time.

DeGray Lake is fun because there is so much to do in close proximity. If you want to kick back and enjoy relaxing camping you can do that. There are numerous hiking and biking trails. You can rent a boat or play golf on the 18-hole golf course in the park. Hot Springs is just a short drive away as well as Lake Catherine and Lake Hamilton.

And, to reveal another incredible secret, Garvan Woodland Gardens is close by to DeGray Lake: http://www.garvangardens.org/. It is beautiful any time of the year, but is especially beautiful in the spring when the azaleas and tulips are in bloom.

I'm up for camping in Arkansas - just need to get my teardrop finished.

Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:51 am

You're a lucky man, Butch. You've build yourself a nice TD and have a bunch of beautiful campgrounds in Arkansas to visit.

Is that a bumper on the back of the TD? What did you use to make it or did you buy it? If you bought it, what did you buy?
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Lookfar » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:51 pm

Tom;
I lived here a number of years ago, but didn't get out and around much. Hope to make up for that.
My brother and I were recently talking about a trip to the Crater of Diamonds S.P. The campgrounds have reopened and should be pretty decent. How many places can you camp and hunt for diamonds? I think someone found a 2+ carat this past week.
Let me know when you want to get together. I think everyone will know when the Beatle is ready...
Butch
Lookfar
Donating Member

Postby Lookfar » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:56 pm

Thank you, Sharon. No doubt about the luck, and I'm a big fan of good luck.
The end of the tear is just that, the end. The end of the floor and the 2x2 bracing underneath, with the bottom piece of angle iron. I am going to put a 2x6 bumper on, but haven't done it yet. I keep forgetting about it, to be honest.
Butch
Lookfar
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales