Berlin Icthasauer

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Berlin Icthasauer

Postby nevadatear » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:34 pm

Just I note that I finally posted pics of our September trip to central NV over on Tearjeaker site.
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:54 pm

I see you've added a Marti D./Doug H. style awning to your teardrop. It looks nice! :thumbsup: :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby nevadatear » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:42 pm

Yup, that was a spring addition. After seeing Doug's over Memorial Day on a trip, I just HADDD to have one, and I am so glad I did. My husband wasn't sure, he didn't want to put he hardware on top to spoil the pretty wood/line of the top, but after we did it, and used it, he is a convert. We may add some sides to make it an enclosed room at some point. And you really can't see the hardware much at all. Also added new cherry drip rails this spring too.
Tried some alum ones, they looked awful, so Randy fabricated these cherry ones. We are very happy with the results! They go with the cherry taillights and the cherry trim on the inside, most of it was from a downed tree off Randy's Grandpa's orchard in Ohio, long since turned into a Giant-Eagle store, so we love the family connection.
At first we really didn't want to spoil the outside smooth wood lines, but we found out the hard way we really need a drip rail/cap, so this was the best of both worlds.
I also learned how to post from my Picasa album today, thus the massive pic posting. My life is so much easier now! Even with half a thumb.
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby bohemian » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:59 pm

Debbie & Randy

The Cherry drip rails look awesome as well as the awning. :thumbsup:
I see a awning like that in my future.
Wayne
bohemian
Donating Member

Postby Lookfar » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:47 pm

I've always liked your tear, and I really like the awning. If you get a chance, do you have a close up of how it attaches to the roof/sides? I picked up an old sewing machine today, and an awning is one of my winter projects.
Don't know if the sewing machine works right or not, but for $10. at a yard sale, it's worth trying. Used to be a sailmaker and have a copy of the "Big Book of Boat Canvas", to help. Just haven't seen how to attach to the tear.
Butch
Lookfar
Donating Member

Postby CAJUN LADY » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:54 pm

Debbie, I think that was a great choice with the drip rails. Along with the classy awning, it seems your beautiful Teardrop is just perfect! :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing those pictures - keep em' coming! ;)

Oh, how did your surgery go?
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:45 pm

Butch, there are two commonly used methods for awning attachment, one, used on the old trailers, is the rope and rail. There is a permanent rail attached to the trailer, and a rope sewn into the awning that is then "slid" into the rail. The second method, which I used, as did Doug Hodder did on his last two trailers. There are several (I used 8, could have used just 6 probably) twist locks attached to the trailer, then a metal eyelet is set into the awning and it is attached by slipping the eyelet over the lock and it is twisted like this: (these are Doug's pics!)
Follow this thread for Doug's better explanation and more pics on how it works. http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=32304&highlight=awning+twist
Becca, surgery went very well. The original, unrelenting pain from the nerves, which were indeed touching my skin, is gone. It looks much better, too, as he reshaped it some. It still hurts, of course, I am only `10 days out from surgery, plus I have been typing a lot today :shock: :? , which serves me right, but that I can deal with as I know it will improve. Another full week off work, then back half time for two weeks. Keep waiting for the day when I wake up and the first though is not "my thumb hurts." should be about 7 weeks away!

Oh, and I got a new outside rug to go under the awning, can't wait for camping season to come back here so we can use it.
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby Lookfar » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:13 am

Thank you Debbie. I knew about the method you used, but it just didn't occur to me. Guess it is more fun to over complicate it. Now I just need to get busy.
Like your rug too...
Butch
Lookfar
Donating Member

Postby DMcCam » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:48 pm

Hi Debbie, Great job on the drip rails and wonderful awning! The drip rails add a nice detail from the interior to the super clean exterior. We can't wait to see the new additions in person.

Best, Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby Gage » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:28 am

This is another one of Marti's side room awnings. It's attached to the tear via an awning rail. She does fantastic work. :thumbsup:

Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:29 pm

That looks great Gage! Got a pic on the lift portion to get it up the 12" or so for the head room? Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby nevadatear » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:27 pm

Great pic of the rail method of attachment Gage!

Dave, we have to plan a spring northern NV gathering I think! Got any ideas? We could probably get Doug and others from that area if we ask nice and promise good food. His favorites (and our new ones) of the ice house and et all area may be a good choice, But many more are out there.
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:36 pm

I'm planning on Ice House for Memorial Day weekend in 2011....this time in the Nomad....It's a beautiful area...and what makes it more so is that it's only 30 min. from home....can't beat that! Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby nevadatear » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:46 pm

'fraid of a 6" of snow are you! well, we may just be there in our tear again. Bring the broom and shovel! :lol:
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:09 pm

I plan on making reservations...maybe we can get together on sites and get a load of them next to each other. I've got like 10+ great campgrounds within an hour or so of the house. I plan on taking advantage of the close to home camping as much as possible in 2011. I'm more into camping than "windshield time" anymore. I've done plenty of long hauls. The Dam may be the longest one for me this next year. There is 1 that is pending however. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales