Route 66 Run Fun with PICTURES

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Route 66 Run Fun with PICTURES

Postby emiller » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:55 pm

Here are a couple of pictures of the trip this week. Calico camp ground
Peggy Sue Diner
Roy's Cafe in Amboy
Hackberry, AZ
Last edited by emiller on Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
emiller
Donating Member

Postby emiller » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:00 pm

Here are a couple more
Cliff's trailer in Seligman, AZ
emiller
Donating Member

Postby alffink » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:41 pm

A couple from the road

alffink
Donating Member

Postby martha24 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:45 pm

Eddie & Al, great pictures! Here are a few more.
From the back of the pack on the road.

3 teardrops heading back to Calif and camping at Dome Rock, Az.

Martha ;)

martha24
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby myoung » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:42 pm

Love the golden glow on the mountains. Isn't the desert terrific and varied?
:)
Mike Young
build thread: viewtopic.php?t=40459
myoung
500 Club

Postby Gage » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:44 pm

Did you all camp at Cool Springs or just have lunch there? Looks like I missed the best part of the trip. :cry: Oh well, next time. :thumbsup:

P.S. Got home Friday safely and didn't lose anything, although stopped three times to hammer things back in place. :lol:
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Gage » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:52 am

Well, not every one has a classic or hotrod type car. And I took the Pilot this time because there were a couple of places on the old route that I wouldn't have been able to get from one gas station to the next. If we had traveled the main hwy, I would have had the station wagon as a tow. You'll also find that those who have them (classic cars/trucks or hotrods) use them to tow with most of the time. :yes:

I went clear back to upstate New York and back last year (7000 miles round trip) with my '59 Ford Station Wagon and Teardrop. But sometimes you just have to leave the classic at home.
:cry:

And to please one admin, I will say no more.
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby martha24 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:02 am

Gage wrote:Did you all camp at Cool Springs or just have lunch there? Looks like I missed the best part of the trip. :cry: Oh well, next time. :thumbsup:

P.S. Got home Friday safely and didn't lose anything, although stopped three times to hammer things back in place. :lol:

Gage,
Glad to hear you got home safe.

That's where we went to after Oatman. Eddie wanted to get there before they closed, which we managed to do with just a little time to spare, so he could ask permission to stay there for the night.

It was windy there too, fortunately the building blocked most of the wind but the flags were flapping all night like mad. We were able to cook dinner right by the building and they have a picnic table and some places to sit right by front door.

I really enjoyed Cool Springs, it is a neat little store with a small museum. Since the owner was kind to let us camp there we could afford to go shopping in the morning. :lol: They sell some very nice things and I would say the nicest of the shops along Route 66 that I stopped at IMHO.

I would enjoy stopping there again some time. :thumbsup:
Martha ;)

martha24
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby cuyeda » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:30 am

Great pictures! Looks like you all had a good time! I hope this Run Fun trip will be repeated again in the future.
Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby emiller » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:23 am

cuyeda wrote:Great pictures! Looks like you all had a good time! I hope this Run Fun trip will be repeated again in the future.

Cliff,
I tell you one thing it won't be on Route 66 in California. that road is pretty bad in some spots. I really enjoyed myself and hangin with friends. I was very happy I did it the way we did. :thumbsup:
emiller
Donating Member

Postby cuyeda » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:40 pm

I was interested in joining you folks, but it wasn't in the cards. Please do describe the difficulties of the road conditions for future reference. I realize the roads are dilapidated, but to what extent?
Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby emiller » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:57 pm

Well Cliff certain parts of the California Route 66 had holes and when I got to Seligman I notice a lot of asphalt pebbles on my front tung shelf and Gage's teardrop in Oatman his fenders looked as though they where sand blasted. Some said our trailers had both wheels come off the ground. I think from Newberry Springs to just past Ludlow was the worst. Other than that it was not that bad.
emiller
Donating Member

Postby alffink » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:37 pm

Eddie/Cliff

The area where everyone was getting airborne, was between Ludlow and Amboy. We had been cruising along about 55 - 60 when we came upon a motor home doing about 50 well as we went around him we were all doing about 70 when we came upon a dip running diagonally accross the roadway, Eddie may have gotten around early enough to avoid the dip at speed, but I know Gage got air borne and he is running shocks not springs, even Johns beast, had both wheels a good 6 inch's clear of the road. :shock: :o

And about fenders getting a bit sand blasted, I'm glad I hadn't painted mine prior to the trip as planed, I think I have more little bare spots in the fiberglass than primer, on the leading face anyway.

But I am ready to go again....it was a blast.

:thumbsup:
alffink
Donating Member

Postby martha24 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:35 pm

For a future trip maybe find a campground closer to Az and then it would be a shorter drive to Cool Springs and the bad road wouldn't be part of the trip. :thinking:

Sounds like a little research or input from knowledgeable campers may be needed to figure out a future trip for other camping spots than Calico as a starting point. Since Cabelas was already planned for that weekend, doesn't mean the next time it couldn't be different. :thinking: :twisted: :lol:

Both Cool Springs and Seligman were great places to spend the night and I would definitely like to camp there again. :thumbsup:
Martha ;)

martha24
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby alffink » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:47 pm

I like the way you think Martha

I know there are several campgrounds around Laughlin - Needles CA and on the AZ side between Topock and Bullhead

I know nothing about any of them, only know they were on my AAA trip-tick for the 66 fun run

It was a fun trip, wasn't it.
alffink
Donating Member

Next

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales