Joshua Tree trip

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Postby alffink » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:20 pm

Bob

With the bug and tear, I would go in the Southern entrance off the 10
the north entrance would mean, going through the Morongo Valley and the climb up and into Yucca Valley, probably the nicer drive, but the climb is daunting with an under powered vehicle.
That's the way to go to the club's dark-sky site and the reason I went from a 4 banger Frontier to an F150, that was over kil, but the drive is so much better.
The campground near the southern entrance is Cotton Wood Springs, quite nice and there is good seperation between camp sites
alffink
Donating Member

Postby canned o minimum » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:46 am

Most likely would be entering off the 10 fwy any how, but this BUG can handle the terrain... VROOOOM ! Izzit any steeper or longer than the "hill" goin up 138 to wrightwood ? Or the "Baker grade" ?

Heck ! I've even been up the "grapevine" all the way to Sacramento towin the TD...

Thanx Al, I appreciate the heads up.

Robert
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby eaglesdare » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:17 am

in that camp pic, it looks like you just stopped and camped right on the road? well on the side of the road?

great pics, thanks for sharing. i have to get out west one day. would love to take a cross crountry trip.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby alffink » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:36 am

Yes! If you drive to Wrightwood.....the climb up and out of Morongo Valley is as long and I think steeper than LonePine canyon
but as you say, it will make it, but how slow will it go? :lol:
And if I ever get you out to a Star-Party in Landers, through Morongo is the way to go.
alffink
Donating Member

Landers CA Wackos

Postby Engineer Guy » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:33 pm

This Riverside CA Native had to post a lil Thread hijack here...

George Van Tassel was a Relative my Grandpa hung out with. 'Van' is Dutch for 'from'. 'Tassel' was the anglicized version of 'Texel'; the Dutch Island N.W. of Amsterdam my 'Clan' was from. See the writeup on George and his 'Integratron' Dome in Landers CA below. As the Family History goes, George became a 'believer' after encountering UFOs while piloting Military Air Craft.

The Integratron has 'something' going on...

Landers Integratron
~Reality proceeds with or without your consensus~
Engineer Guy
The 300 Club

Postby alffink » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:03 pm

Haven't stopped by in several years now, but if you are a Sci-Fi buff or just interested in science oddities the Integratron is a must visit at least once, I don't know if it is even open any longer, but the property was still kept up last summer.
It's only about a mile from our astronomy clubs dark-sky site so if ya plan to stop by, make it on a new moon weekend and join us unders the stars for a great star-party, check it out at www.rivastro.org
alffink
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales