2nd tear trip: Shenandoah National Park

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

2nd tear trip: Shenandoah National Park

Postby BillZ » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:40 am

Julia and I decided last minute to take a short weekend trip in the Tear. We stayed in Mathews Arm campground at Shenandoah Nat Park. For those of you not familiar, Shenandoah park is comprised of a group of low lying mountains in North Central Virginia. They range from about 2,500 - 3,500 ft elevation. Along the top of the range is a long scenic route, Skyline Drive. The park is only about two hours from DC and it is a convenient place for us to go when we only have a couple of days.

Other than discovering the campground had no shower facilities, the trip was great. We showed off the tear to admirers at least a dozen times. I tried to mention this forum to anyone who was interested in learning more.

Skyline Drive

Camp Site

Big Meadow

We picked wild blueberries. They were delicious!

Last edited by BillZ on Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
BillZ
The 300 Club

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:04 am

one of my favorite places to camp. although i have never been to matthews. i have stayed at loft mountains and big meadows. i haven't camped there this year, but did drive thru.

i have had electric all this year, kind of spoiled now. if i only lived 2 hours from there i would be there more often.

enjoyed your pics, thanks for sharing. you have a real nice looking tear.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby hiker chick » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:58 pm

Gorgeous tear! Perhaps we'll run into you all sometime at Big Meadows -- our usual haunt (showers).

If you have time for a 4-day or more, our favorite place within a few hours of DC is Virginia's Douthat State Park -- especally if you like fishing or boating.

Hot Stuff Today, Dog Stuff Tomorrow

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Alleged User » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:27 pm

Love the pictures, BillZ. And thank you both for the heads-up on the shower facilities...good to know! That's a must for us. Hopefully will be camping at Shenandoah this fall. We need a go-to campground that's not too far for weekend getaways.
Kelly & Duke
2011 ZZ Drop
Perhaps they are not stars, but rather openings in heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know they are happy. - Eskimo proverb
Alleged User
Donating Member

Location: Northern Virginia...not to be confused with Virginia.

Postby Ratkity » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:47 pm

Alleged User wrote:Love the pictures, BillZ. And thank you both for the heads-up on the shower facilities...good to know! That's a must for us. Hopefully will be camping at Shenandoah this fall. We need a go-to campground that's not too far for weekend getaways.

Bring quarters for the showers. They work like the old college washers. I think you get 5 min for $1, but those might have changed.

I love Shenandoah! I haven't been this year up to Big Meadows.

Great to see you and Gidg again, Hikerchick!

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby BillZ » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:04 pm

hiker chick wrote:Gorgeous tear! Perhaps we'll run into you all sometime at Big Meadows -- our usual haunt (showers).

If you have time for a 4-day or more, our favorite place within a few hours of DC is Virginia's Douthat State Park -- especally if you like fishing or boating.

Thanks for the tip on Douthat. The pics look very interesting! I remember the name but we haven't camped much out that way yet. Currently, Our favorite campground in the DC area is New Germany State Park way out in the western end of Maryland. If you haven't been there you should check it out.

alleged user wrote:Love the pictures, BillZ. And thank you both for the heads-up on the shower facilities...good to know! That's a must for us. Hopefully will be camping at Shenandoah this fall. We need a go-to campground that's not too far for weekend getaways.

alleged,
there are a few campgrounds along skyline drive and the only one I know that has showers is Big Meadow. We had to drive there from Mathews Arm. It takes close to an hour if you go the 35mph limit. Ratkitty is right, it takes 4 quarters for a 5 minute shower.
BillZ
The 300 Club

Postby hiker chick » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:44 am

Also check out Virginia's Shenandoah River State Park where a new campground and cabins opened last summer. A beautiful destination, especially during the fall.

http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/and.shtml

The campground is brand new so most of the trees are also new and not providing much shade yet. Also has showers.

This park is near Front Royal.

:)
Hot Stuff Today, Dog Stuff Tomorrow

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RSEAGLE » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:48 pm

Loft Mountain is my favorite campground on the Skyline Drive. I usually go on the Columbus Day holiday weekend to enjoy the cooler temperatures and beautiful autumn colors.
RSEAGLE
Teardrop Inspector

Postby wingnut » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:02 pm

Big meadow looks a lot greener than it was when we were there the first week of April 2011.
wingnut
Teardrop Master

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales