Yosemite and the Eastern Sierras

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Yosemite and the Eastern Sierras

Postby cdfnchico » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:07 pm

Took an anniversary trip to Yosemite and the Eastern Sierras a couple weeks back...had a great time!! We've been trying to pull off a trip like this for a couple years; rain, snow or conflicting schedules kept getting in our way, but this year we pulled it off! We caught some peak fall colors along 395, visited Bodie (a Gold Rush ghost town), Mono Lake, and hit Yosemite coming and going.

Yosemite is 5 1/2-6hrs from us...we drove part way after work on Weds and stayed at a Walmart in Manteca. Used an app on my phone to find out where camping was ok. First time we've done that, made for a quick trip into the valley the next morning. We'll probably do it again, if we're traveling by ourselves and want a headstart. (Note: traffic was a tad noisy; earplugs would help)

Spent the first night in Yosemite, then headed over Tioga Rd to Lee Vining.

Mono Lake was spectacular

shot some star trails...

Nearby Forest Svc campgrounds closed mid-October...so made reservations at Pine Cliff Resort on June Lake. Nice little Campground/ RV park. Nice facilities. We were one of 3 or 4 campers as this was their last open week for the season. When we arrived, the owner told us there used to a group of teardrops who took over one area of the campground every year. Sounds like a "lost" gathering!

The fall colors along Tioga Road and Hwy 395 were incredible.

In anticipation of the high elevation at Lee Vining, we installed a direct-wire Roadmaster 300 watt 12-volt heater. We were pleased with the results. We spent two separate nights boon docking and ran heater for an hour or so with no battery issues. Raised the temp to a comfortable level that was easily maintained by our body heat for the duration even with vent open. Charged the battery using the t-v on the road the next day. Wouldn't say it cooked you out but our tear is not insulated on the sides and it got down to mid 30's and we were comfy.

Might be our last trip for the year...had a great time!
Last edited by cdfnchico on Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cathy
Build thread - Just Chillin'
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=25151

cdfnchico
Donating Member

Postby TheBizMan » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:37 pm

Great pictures. Some of them look like paintings.
Lee - TheBizMan sez
Teardrops make for happy camping
ImageImage
TheBizMan
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:55 pm

just beautiful!
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Re: Yosemite and the Esatern Sierras

Postby Gage » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:03 pm

cdfnchico wrote:When we arrived, the owner told us there used to a group of teardrops who took over one area of the campground every year. Sound like a "lost" gathering!

You sure it wasn't Pine Cliff Resort? :thinking: I think I just might know who that group was. ;) We did what we called 'The Mother Load Tour'. We'd go up hwy 49 on the western side and cross over thru Yosemite to the eastern side and down to Bishop for the Fall Colors Car Show and show off out trailers. We would stop over one night at Pine Cliff and like that, take over one whole area. Did that for about 4 years. :thumbsup:

Image Image
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Re: Yosemite and the Esatern Sierras

Postby cdfnchico » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:20 pm

Gage wrote:You sure it wasn't Pine Cliff Resort? :thinking:

You're right, Gage...it was the Pine Cliff Resort. Fixed my original post. Sounds like that may be the group she was talking about. She was tickled to see us...seems like she missed y'all!
Cathy

cdfnchico
Donating Member

Postby Gage » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:38 pm

The group was the Southern California Touring Tears, AKA SCTT. We did that run for about 4 years then some lost interest so it kind of ended. We would camp at different Fair Grounds along hwy 49. Dave Locke and I were talking last year that it just might be time to do it again. :thinking:
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby cdfnchico » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:13 pm

Gage wrote:..... just might be time to do it again.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Cathy

cdfnchico
Donating Member

Postby wired » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:16 pm

Beautiful Pictures! Yosemite will be our first big trip in the TD when it is finished. It will be early June and I can't wait to go back. Thanks for the extra motivation via your pics!
wired
The 300 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:26 am

I worked one summer at the resort on Saddlebag lake (Tioga pass) the highest lake you can drive to in the US I understand. We spent our Honeymoon in the Sierras so many fond memories. In all likelihood we will be headed west with Compass Rose next summer and that area and Yosemite is on the list. Thanks for the great pictures.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby cuyeda » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:15 am

Wow! Fabulous photos! Somebody has a knack for photography! I really like this shot, and hope to be able to accomplish it given the right scene subject for shooting stars at night.

Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Larry C » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:28 pm

Tioga Road :shock: For this Easterner who's used to having guard rails if there's 2' deep ditch, found Tioga Road "white knuckle" driving with the 2000 foot drop off's, no shoulder or guard rails!!
Driving an unfamiliar rental car didn't help matters any. Yosemite is by far one of the most beautiful destinations anyone could ever imagine. Everyone should get there before you check out permanently.

Larry C
"If its worth doing it's worth doing Light"

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=35852
Larry C
500 Club

Postby Maureenm » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:43 pm

Phenomenal pics! I love Yosemite, but haven't been there in quite awhile. Thanks for the photo visit.
Maureenm
Donating Member

Postby myoung » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:30 pm

I love the Eastern Sierras, a place that few visit. I've never seen it look better than in your pictures!!

Cathy, please tell us something about your camera equipment. You've obviously got the talent, but there must be some cool glass through which it shines.
Mike Young
build thread: viewtopic.php?t=40459
myoung
500 Club

Postby TheOtherSean » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:06 pm

Your pictures are splendid. It looks and sounds like you had a great trip.
TheOtherSean
The 300 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:03 pm

Very nice photos. Thanks for sharing. Once Jane retires we will be going to Yosemite in the off seasons too. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Next

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales