First Major Trip finished

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

First Major Trip finished

Postby jss06 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:22 am

Just got back form the first serious trip with the trailer. It was quite litterally it's shakedown cruise. 243 miles of mostly unpaved ranch road from Marble Falls, TX to Caverns of Sonora outside of Sonora, TX. Approximately 170 miles were on the ranch roads. This included 2 nights of the best sleep I have ever had while camping.

Something about cattle guards and trailers result in some interesting physics. I know of 5 seperate occasions when the trailer came completely off the ground. It always managed to land back on its wheels. The trailer survived with out any damage. I wish I could say the same for the container that holds most of my spices and cookware. I don't have the galley finished yet and everything was stacked neatly. At least it ws when I started. I am going to have to replace some containers now. :lol:

The trip ened up at the Caverns of Sonora. This is by far the most beautiful cave I have ever been in. If you are in the area you need to make a point to stop in and take the tour. It is a living cave which means the formations are still growing. :thumbsup:

On the trail early morning of Day 2.

Definately need to get mud flaps for the Jeep. And no that is not all mud. I did mention we were on ranch roads right? Several of which literally ran through open range.

Setting up camp at the Caverns. So nice to be able to drive up, park and be done in a matter of 10 minutes. Used to take 30 minutes or more to set up camp.

The rest of my pics can be found here.
http://www.hudsonhawk.net/hc2011/index.html

The liquid roof product I used for the top coat performed great. When I got home it took 20 minutes with a garden hose and a cloth to wash all the stuff off the trailer. I did not even have to use any kind of soap.
jss06
Palladium Donating Member

Postby jss06 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:34 am

I just realized I posted this in the wrong place. Can the mods please move it to the trips/pics discussion.
jss06

Postby jerry101jlh » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:48 am

Great trip, great photos! Have you been to the Longhorn Caverns over towards Inx Lake? Beautiful as well and history from the Indians, to the Texas Rangers, to the Depression, to the CCC digging all the mud out by hand.
jerry101jlh
Teardrop Master

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:52 am

jss06 wrote:I just realized I posted this in the wrong place. Can the mods please move it to the trips/pics discussion.

done.

what a great trip, thanks for sharing.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby jss06 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:01 pm

jerry101jlh wrote:Great trip, great photos! Have you been to the Longhorn Caverns over towards Inx Lake? Beautiful as well and history from the Indians, to the Texas Rangers, to the Depression, to the CCC digging all the mud out by hand.

No I have not been there. I think I am going to make it a point to visit as many Texas caves as possible. They seem to be everywehre.
jss06

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:20 pm

Glad you had a good time on your trip! Looks great behind the Wrangler!
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby jerry101jlh » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:05 pm

jss06 wrote:
jerry101jlh wrote:Great trip, great photos! Have you been to the Longhorn Caverns over towards Inx Lake? Beautiful as well and history from the Indians, to the Texas Rangers, to the Depression, to the CCC digging all the mud out by hand.

No I have not been there. I think I am going to make it a point to visit as many Texas caves as possible. They seem to be everywehre.

One out towards New Brunsfel, state has leased out the running of it. We were very disappointed. Guides said little to nothing about the caves or their history, plus a high admission price. Longhorn though worth every bit of the admission charge, plus some CCC handiwork not found in any other area.

We want to hit the caves as well, but after this last one might pass on any the state has leased out.
jerry101jlh
Teardrop Master

Postby jss06 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:41 pm

This is where we camped the first night. Its a gravel bar in the middle of the Llano River south of Mason, TX.

And one of the many stream/river crossings encountered on the trip.

jss06

Postby jdarkoregon » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:47 pm

Looks like a fantastic time,

So, did you convert anybody to being a teardropper

Thanks for the pics, I envy your weather now, we are just plain old WET

John
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Postby bc toys » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:47 am

would love to do a trip like that with jeep and camper [and DO of course ] just hitting the trails and having fun seeing all the back road sites
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby bc toys » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:47 am

would love to do a trip like that with jeep and camper [and DO of course ] just hitting the trails and having fun seeing all the back road sites
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:23 am

I think you bumped up against the problem with a rubber torsion axle. Reportedly they don't like washboard and a cattle guard sort of comes under that heading, bounce wise.
Your experience means I need to get back to working on the air shock add on for ours.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby jss06 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:38 am

jdarkoregon wrote:Looks like a fantastic time,

So, did you convert anybody to being a teardropper

Thanks for the pics, I envy your weather now, we are just plain old WET

John

No converts that I know of. But, just about everywhere I stopped in civilization, there was someone asking about the trailer. I spent 45 minutes in Marble Falls talking to a couple who were already planning on building one of their own.
jss06

Postby jdarkoregon » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:12 pm

jss06 wrote:[

No converts that I know of. But, just about everywhere I stopped in civilization, there was someone asking about the trailer. I spent 45 minutes . . . .

Most of us have experienced that. Many times!! I have been in a hurry and wouldn't open the hatch after buying something from the store, I knew if I opened it, I would be there for at least 45 minutes.

We aren't always on teardrop time.

John :thumbsup:
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Postby chorizon » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:39 pm

That looks awesome.

We blasted through there last week while going to the folks' place way out in Terlingua.

I grew up on the Llano around Kingsland and know it pretty well around there.

I hope to be able to take the time to see the caverns in Sonora one of these days.

I think I have some pics on here somewhere of our stay in Junction last year.

I'm really intrigued by the route you took.
Can you share some more info on how you got from Marble Falls all the way to Sonora? :D
chorizon
Platinum Donating Member

Next

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales