Bryce and Zion

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Bryce and Zion

Postby rappar » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:55 pm

I want to spend the month of May out in the areas around Bryce and Zion. I have checked online and found some campsite but some seem to be rather costly, in the order of $40+ a night. Can someone suggest some campgrounds in those two areas where I could stay? I'd like to spend a week or so at each location so if I was able to get water and electric at the site, that would be a plus.
Thanks,
Ron
rappar
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Bryce and Zion

Postby mdk » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:35 pm

rappar wrote:I want to spend the month of May out in the areas around Bryce and Zion. I have checked online and found some campsite but some seem to be rather costly, in the order of $40+ a night. Can someone suggest some campgrounds in those two areas where I could stay? I'd like to spend a week or so at each location so if I was able to get water and electric at the site, that would be a plus.
Thanks,
Ron

http://www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvisit/c ... n-zion.htm

http://www.nps.gov/brca/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm

http://www.utah.com/database/campgrounds/?id=242

http://www.go-utah.com/Camping/

Hope those provide some help. There's a LOT more to visit, as well. Bryce has some incredible scenery, as does Zion, but you didn't mention if you intend to do a lot of hiking. Both are for hikers, for long term exploring, as the roads and campgrounds are very limited inside the park.

Don't forget Grand Staircase - Escalante, which has some desert scenery, as well. It's a grand monument to enviromentalists, though. It's not very "unique".

If you'd like to stray a ways, there's Glen Canyon recreation area, Capitol Reef. Natural Bridges (highly recommended). Even Kodachrome Basin, though I've never managed to get there.

Gas is expensive away from the interstate, stations are a bit far apart, and services a little scarce. But May should be a great variety of weather, from incredible rains to crystal blue skies and warm sunny days to wind enough to make you walk sideways. I almost forgot... I LIVED at Monument Valley. Worth some time as well.

Almost forgot. The north rim of the Grand Canyon is not far, but at that time of year, it will be snowed in, inaccessible.
5 out of 4 people are bad at math.
mdk
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Gage » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:19 pm

rappar wrote:I want to spend the month of May out in the areas around Bryce and Zion. I have checked online and found some campsite but some seem to be rather costly, in the order of $40+ a night. Can someone suggest some campgrounds in those two areas where I could stay? I'd like to spend a week or so at each location so if I was able to get water and electric at the site, that would be a plus.
Thanks,
Ron

Well both Zion and Bryce have campgrounds within the parks. We stayed at the campground at the lower entrance to Zion. The first pic is the campground in Zion and the second is that of the campground in Bryce.

Image Image
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby wingnut » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:00 pm

HI Ron,
A few years back we spent 2 weeks or so in the south of Utah. We stayed in Kanab, Utah at the Hicth-N-Post RV Park. It was very nice. I just looked at their web site and the price hasn't gone up much. They have sites with electric/water for $25 a night. We liked it for the shower every night, it gets pretty warm down there in May. Having a place to wash clothes close by was a plus also. PLus all the things one kind find if needed in good size nice town. We were there in mid April and the weather was prefect. Hope you have a wonderful trip.

Jim
wingnut
Teardrop Master

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales