To the land of Mordor

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Re: To the land of Mordor

Postby Mukilteo » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:55 pm

Deleated
Last edited by Mukilteo on Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric
Mukilteo
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:43 pm

I don't know how to change photo ratings. But we now both know you gave it a 10. Many thanks

I don't have a GPS so can't help on that. Don't try it to early in the spring. Mud out there can be bottomless. Or try it after a good rain. The Bromus Tectorum grass Usually gets dry early June. Then it is miserable. Gets in your socks. It is good to have high top books with a full gusset tongue. Locally one of the nicer names for it is June grass. Another name questions its parentage as oats. If it is thick range fires can cover over 100,000 acres in about 2 days, or less. But these really are not all that dangerous to people. If you get cornered just run into the fire line. There is so little to burn you will be in burned over area in about 10 feet. Don't try this if you are in thick sagebrush. Winter can be a killer out there also. Break down in a storm and freeze. A gal froze to death back in the mid 90s in a wind/snow/cold. I can't remember the temps for sure but we had 100 mph winds for most of that night. I was chuckin wood in my wood stove all night long.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Mukilteo » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:58 pm

deleated
Last edited by Mukilteo on Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric
Mukilteo
Donating Member

Postby M C Toyer » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:02 pm

Randy -

I've really enjoyed the photos and stories of this trip and your earlier adventures.

Getting back to Idaho is on my bucket list. My father was born and raised in Rupert. His parents moved there about 1910 after living in Soda Springs and before then in Albion. I used to have many relatives all over southern Idaho but those generations have passed on and I never knew the younger ones.

M C
M C Toyer
The 300 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:28 pm

I live about 8 miles north of Rupert, been around this area since 57 when we moved here from Idaho Falls. I am glad you enjoyed the pictures. I need to make another adventure out there this summer, Or to the north west Utah desert.

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby High Desert » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:42 pm

That looks like a great trip Randy. Spectacular country, would like to spend some time up there again someday. Your rig looks right at home in its natural setting. :thumbsup:
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby M C Toyer » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:21 pm

My dad had some old hidden treasure stories abour Owyhee County but we never got a chance to explore there together.

The last time I was in Rupert would have been X-mas 1959. I spent the summer of 1954 in an old shepherd's wagon at my grandfather's. Your trailer kinda reminded me of that - straightforward and functional.

Grand-dad was city and county treasurer for many years going back to the 1930s but had retired by then and was running a second hand store off the square.

I've got a hankering to explore the old Kelton Wagon Road too. My great-grandfather came west with the railroad and settled at Call's Fort for a while then later was in the City of Rocks area. Great-grandmother ran a hotel in Albion and a boarding house in Rupert.

Am planning a lighter and more streamlined trailer for my next build but if I don't get it finished soon enough may just drive up and sleep in car later in the summer when it gets so hot in Texas.

M C
M C Toyer
The 300 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:28 pm

About 2 years ago I went through what is left of Kelton Utah. Just an Iron pipe sticking up and black clinkers and stuff out of the old steam engines. With out getting my maps out I can't place right where the trail went. I do kind of look out for the old trails. Back in the 90s I learned what the old wagon trails look like and once stopped at a Historical Monument east of Boise. I was looking around and there was the old Oregon Trail. I got on it with my VW camper bus and drove ten miles to Boise on the trail. Came in behind the main Micron plant and then got on the city streets.

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales