Grand Canyon

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Grand Canyon

Postby ssrjim » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:21 pm

Went north for the weekend. A couple days at Lake Mary near Flagstaff. Didn't see them but the insects sure ate the heck out of us and the dogs.

Then we headed to the Grand Canyon South Rim for a couple days:

Photos here: http://gallery.me.com/ramjim#100988
ssrjim
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Grand Canyon

Postby vaddisonme » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:52 pm

I'd like to hear all about your trip, because we are planning one for next spring. Unfortunately, when I try to follow your link it the pictures, it says that "MobileMe" is
closed! :cry: So, no pictures.,,,, or info...
The Marshmallow pulling our Sweet Potato.
vaddisonme
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ssrjim » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:18 pm

http://500px.com/SSRJim/sets/grand_canyon_2012

I moved to 500px since the death of mobile me? What would you like to know, the Grand Canyon is a somewhat local trip for me.
ssrjim
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby vaddisonme » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:40 pm

We would be taking our car-go lite (kind of like a weekender shape) pulled by our Honda CRV. It pulled great on our 1500 mile trip home after we picked it up in Michigan, and we didn't have any problems on the arkansas and Kentucky hills. But I am wondering about huge hills and switchbacks and such ... are there any of those to get to the North side? Have you camped in the Mather campground, or do you stay outside the park? North rim? Is end of April too cold to go? We have a little ceramic heater, but would need electricity, I think, to run it.... and I don't think the campgrounds have electricity. (Maybe there would be way to run the heater off the battery???)
Hmmm. anyway.. suggestions for where to stay and any "don't miss" would be good. We are untouristyy types. and like to hike.... Thanks for any tips about handling the crowds would be great!
vaddisonme
Teardrop Advisor

Postby vaddisonme » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:43 pm

I just looked at. your photographs. WOW!!! Absolutely beautiful!!!
vaddisonme
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ssrjim » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:58 am

vaddisonme wrote:We would be taking our car-go lite (kind of like a weekender shape) pulled by our Honda CRV. It pulled great on our 1500 mile trip home after we picked it up in Michigan, and we didn't have any problems on the arkansas and Kentucky hills. But I am wondering about huge hills and switchbacks and such ... are there any of those to get to the North side? Have you camped in the Mather campground, or do you stay outside the park? North rim? Is end of April too cold to go? We have a little ceramic heater, but would need electricity, I think, to run it.... and I don't think the campgrounds have electricity. (Maybe there would be way to run the heater off the battery???)
Hmmm. anyway.. suggestions for where to stay and any "don't miss" would be good. We are untouristyy types. and like to hike.... Thanks for any tips about handling the crowds would be great!

There are no real hills getting to the canyon and the road is stait and kind of boring. Then you are there. The north rim is more forest but a pretty strait shot, I have photo somewhere, I'll see if I can track them down. The north rim is a long way around from the south side, very long.

The crowds are much smaller at the north rim because it is so far around. The north rim is closed until Mid-May and is colder than the south rim.

At the south rim there are only a couple campgrounds, Mather and Desert View. If you want Mather, which is a fine campground in the middle of everything, you will need an reservation. It is always full. Desert View is the first come first serve campgound. No plugs. There are a couple campgounds just outside the park. Depends on how much you want to drive each day or ride the bus.

The only time you feel really crowded is at the village, avoid that and you will avoid the crowds.
ssrjim
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby vaddisonme » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:10 pm

Thanks for the info. As soon as we choose our dates, I will try to get a reservation at Mather. Did you have to stay in the sites marked for "RV" or did they let you stay in the tent sites? I see that many of the online spots say tent only..... I don't want to be next to a big rig with a generator running for hours and ion ours!!! :thumbdown:
vaddisonme
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ssrjim » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:01 am

It was a trailer site.
ssrjim
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales