first time camping trip in Storm Warning

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

first time camping trip in Storm Warning

Postby rowerwet » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:26 pm

while I spent many nights in the td at work last year, we never camped in it together until our 13th anniversary, we drove to see my in laws, left the kids with them and took off for two nights camping at Dingmans Ferry, PA in the Delaware National Recreation area.
Even with a list of stuff we needed to bring we still left a lot of things we needed or wanted at home, but it worked out anyway. After our first night in the TD we got up had breakfast and then it started to pour, we walked up to the camp store to find out we had very carefully picked the the only spot (Eastern, PA) in the US currently targeted for a pop up storm. there was a perfect bulls eye of red orange and yellow headed for us, but clearing was predicted for the afternoon, so we headed off to wallyworld to pick up what we forgot.
Sure enough it did clear up and the sun even came out in time for us to launch our boats for a trip on the river, it also reminded us we left all of our hats and sun glasses in the van, down stream at the pull out....
We had a nice evening, but late in the night a thunder storm passed over, other than pulling the awning over the td to keep the noise of the rain down inside the td we slept fine. woke up the next morning to find the awning over the picnic table collapsed in the heavy rain, the other one over the td was fine.
spent the morning visiting Dingmans falls, :thumbsup: worth the visit!!, then headed back to pick up the kids.
Plenty of pics here :pictures: gallery/album.php?album_id=2672
and even more here http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 0101d83097
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Re: first time camping trip in Storm Warning

Postby tearhead » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:46 pm

Sounds like it was a fun trip! It's amazing what you can get along without, when you forget something!

I just had to chime in because the sound of rain on the teardrop is one of my favorite sounds! It makes me feel like I'm getting away with something, having been a tent camper for so long! Inside and dry!
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales