1947 Desert Teardrop

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

1947 Desert Teardrop

Postby Desert Teardrop » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:16 pm

Leaving Alaska 1974 and drove it down the ALCAN Highway, crossing the Rocky Mountains 3 times enroute to Virginia. I have repainted it and replaced the rusted trailer hitch, but it is still as original as possible.
Desert Teardrop
Teardrop Inspector

Re: 1947 Desert Teardrop

Postby doug hodder » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:42 pm

Having done the Alcan 5 times, first in '64 last time in '75, that is a real testimony to the trailer. People have no idea of just how much gravel there is unless they've driven it. And to think, people get all antsy on 25 miles of gravel or so nowadays....try at least a hundred miles without any services, then figure in maybe DAYS of travel and no pavement. Don't know how much is paved now...but it really used to be an adventure. Congratulations....Alcan trips make for good stories! Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Re: 1947 Desert Teardrop

Postby Desert Teardrop » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:22 pm

Hi Doug. Thanks! 5 Alcan Trips? Amazing. I never had a flat on the Teardrop or the Land Cruiser. I'm sure my Teardrop was manufactured in California circa 1947. It was vintage when I bought it in Anchorage in 1974. I am ready to sell it now. Maybe it can return to California to a new owner? The research I've done looks like it will be valued at $10K. My philosophy has been to keep it as original as possible. The undercarriage is primo original and solid, as is the bedroom and the much of the kitchen. I had to replace the trailer hitch due to rust. My Jeep is for sell as well. They would make someone a nice rig. Keep in touch and thanks for the share. My blog has more details and photos. Chico Harkrader.
http://desertteardrop.wordpress.com/
http://desertteardrop.blogspot.com/
Desert Teardrop
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales