A 3 Week, 9 State Bucket-List Trip

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Re: A 3 Week, 9 State Bucket-List Trip

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:23 am

Sharon,

Tom shared your blog with me. Great trip! It brought back memories our trip earlier this summer. However, you made several stops that we didn't. I'm impressed you did it on your own. I'm not sure I would be brave enough to attempt it without Tom. It makes me want to plan another trip out west. Thanks for sharing.

Nancy
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:11 am

Droid: It'll probably be a while before I go to Alaska and my first trip might be a short cruise. This is because certain areas can only be reached by boat. However, I am told that the best way to see most everything is by tow vehicle & trailer.

Crttaz: KOA prices vary, depending on where your are, what you are near, and whether you get full hook-ups, no hook-ups, etc. The best thing to do is to check on-line when you get ready to plan your trip. All prices are listed. Also, if you are going to visit enough to make it worthwhile, you can get a membership that allows for a discounted price and special benefits. Where I could, I availed myself of the national and state parks for camping; but, when traveling, park campgrounds aren't always in the place where you are ready to stop for the night.

Nancy: ...Glad you liked it. I thought your write-up was wonderful! Because of recent events, I kept family pictures out of mine. As far as traveling alone goes, if you limit yourself because of that, life would be very dull and possibly miserable. If you want to do something, you can usually find a way.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby High Desert » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:47 am

Bravo Sharon!
Thanks for sharing your trip. You listed both places I've seen and ones I still want to. And as for the Wendover KOA, sounds like it hasnt changed since I was there in 2000 lol.
I also noticed the longer you were on the road the fewer "side" trips you took. But I didn't count lol.
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Verna » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:06 am

Great blog, Sharon!!!! It's a great thing that you aren't limiting traveling just because you travel alone. You had fun, you had adventure and you enjoyed yourself!! Three reasons to continue doing it.
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:56 pm

High Desert wrote:Bravo Sharon!
Thanks for sharing your trip. You listed both places I've seen and ones I still want to. And as for the Wendover KOA, sounds like it hasnt changed since I was there in 2000 lol.
I also noticed the longer you were on the road the fewer "side" trips you took. But I didn't count lol.

I think the Wendover KOA is probably worse than when you were there, Shaun. Even the dog hated it. There were so many prickly seed heads from the sandbur weeds that he was constantly hurting his paws. He didn't even want to go out to do his business and couldn't wait to leave. Yes, after leaving Nebraska, the trip home only had a few side trips and photo-ops: Flaming Gorge, Dinosaurland, and a quick look at the Great Salt Lake and the Salt Flats and a stop to rest and regroup at the KOA and Cabellas in Reno. By the time we got home, we were thankful to be there.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:59 pm

Verna wrote:Great blog, Sharon!!!! It's a great thing that you aren't limiting traveling just because you travel alone. You had fun, you had adventure and you enjoyed yourself!! Three reasons to continue doing it.

Thanks, Verna. Yes, I've gotta come up with some new camping trips for next year! This may be addictive. :lol:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby crttaz » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:31 am

Thanks Sharon. I plan mostly no hook-ups or power only, hope the showers are decent, but also plan on staying in parks or public lands.

My idea once I've camped locally a few times is to just wonder around this great country of ours. I have enough internet friends from other forums that stated I could drop in for a day or two as well. I trade my Honda car skills for a shower/couch/meal.

Just go wandering around, getting lost (but not stuck!) can be a good thing.
crttaz
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:36 pm

slowcowboy wrote:sharon, you do walk the wind again next year if I can get the campground reserved in time this fall? I will amit i am on hold a bit as I am dealing with some tec problems at the moment.

slow

Slow, I have some things in limbo that keep me from being able to commit to much for next year until next year is here and maybe half over.
I don't know how 2013 is going to play out....Gotta wait and see.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Previous

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales