Different reactions

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Different reactions

Postby Dave S » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:22 pm

Towing the little 1947 Cub behind my 1955 Ford Wagon usually gets thumbs up, smiles and stares on the road, long conversations at rest stops and admiring glances at gas fills. I have put many a mile on the pair over the past several years, with my twice annual trips to the Nascar races in P-Nix Arizona sandwiched in between many local and semi-local gatherings and I have always had the same reactions from folks. Recently I added to the travel stable with a 1955 PleasureCraft 12' canned ham. She is in really nice.......as found after 30+ years in a Montana field.......usable condition. Knocked the mud off, got new tires and bearings, outfitted with my best travel gear and headed for my 3000 mile+ round trip to P-Nix a few weeks ago. I noticed that the amused crowds with the Teardrop have turned to totally dis-interested people who seem to view me now as genuine "Trailer Trash"..........just an old beater "hunting trailer" and an old truck (had to temporarily pull with a little Dodge Dakota). What a change. Seems that only the highly enlightened are aware of what they are passing or seeing. Really says a lot about our little Tears and the instant recognition we get. The trailer is really nice, a good fit between my little Tear and the giant (26') 1973 GMC Motorhome, and each has a special spot........ with the Tear still being my favorite.........along with the great people. LSFG (aka Dave)
Dave S
Teardrop Builder

Re: Different reactions

Postby Wimperdink » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:21 pm

I got more attention with the tear but a higher ratio of positive with the canned ham. People had mixed feelings on the teardrop as to whether I was sleeping in a coffin or it was really cool. With the canned ham, the negative attitudes don't visit whereas the positive attitudes are always ready with the thumbs up.
Image You know a man is on the level if his bubble is in the middle.
Wimperdink
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby emiller » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:05 pm

I took my little bread loaf to Goodguys car show in Scottsdale this month and it had a line to see it all weekend. Took mt teardrop a couple of times before and did not get the same looks. I don't think the two teardrops near me got the same looks as my little bread loaf but it is one of a kind. On route 66 cruise the tears get a lot of attention I think because of so many together at one time.
emiller
Donating Member

Postby Dave S » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:05 pm

I agree, once parked and set up, the "Ham" gets a lot of positive "I could do that" responses.........whereas the Tear gets the curious "do you sleep in that". Both are a big hit once set up. As a matter of fact the couple recently parked next to me in a very large Class A MH kept saying they wanted one. His comment every day was "thats all ya need, and it keeps a smile on the face". On the road, I find it a totally different response betwen the Tear ansd the Ham. No matter, since I am the one I have to please, its working.....I'm happy with both. LSFG (aka Dave)
Dave S
Teardrop Builder

Postby canned o minimum » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:07 am

First "I" hafta say that I miss my teardrop.. A LOT ! I got lotsa looks and thumbs up while towing or staionary. Now that I have my TTT(standie) I git as many looks and thumbs up... but then..

I tow with my 1965 VW Beetle ! The combination of a trailer and bein towed by a"punch buggy" really gets em lookin ! But then...

For all who have ever seen my rig.. what's NOT to look at ! For me it is all about havin FUN and makin the MOST of it all.
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales