Photography 101 Photos added

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Photography 101 Photos added

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:03 am

One of the things I love about this forum is the photographs that you all share with us, particularly of areas and countries we are not familiar with. However, there are great frustrations with what is taken and what is not. I spent a couple of years at Brooks Institute of Photography and used that training in commercial photography in a number of jobs that I have held.

What separates a professional photographer and an amateur is that the pro will take ten times as many photographs and throw away nine of them.

Nancy is frustrated because we seldom see pictures of the interior of folks trailers or to a lesser extent with the Teardrops, the galley area.
In taking pictures of people and I would guess of folks trailers there is a cultural barrier. We have a three foot personal distance, about arms length and it is uncomfortable to invade that space (I can give details of why if any one is interested). As a result most photos get taken at a distance and yes we want to see the whole trailer but also get closer and show detail. As a specific example a picture of galley in the some ones sharing of a gathering, the picture was taken at a distance (did not fill the frame) and Nancy was trying to figure how they kept all of the containers on a shelf from falling out when traveling.
Pictures of people. One of the problems my dad had when doing slide shows of his travels was his taking pictures of the tour guide and fellow travelers, they were of significance only to him and not something we wanted to see. Frankly pictures of folk eating is often not flattering. So why not get them with their trailer and at that time ask if you can shoot some of the interior (Nancy gets upset if it is a mess, and she is proud of the quilt she made...) and by all means tell us who they are . Find out what is unique about their trailer and about them, most folks are quite happy to talk about them selves and their trailer.
In sharing about where you have been and what you have done try and show us the area and what it is like, and EDL's every day life shots, how do folks prepare meals what do they do in camp and for the areas you travel through.

I am going to start the examples process with existing pictures some of which will be replaced as I go along. Weather cooperated today so I added a couple of new ones.
One of the goals might be to note unique and copyable ideas (plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery and we love others using them anyway).

The three quarter view. A good overall shot of (CR) Compass Rose and shows the size relationship to the Subaru. You can also note there are a whole bunch of openings in the side and they are gas, shower, power points, water heater, power outlet, busted radio antenna, marine deck plates for the AC and on the galley hatch you can see the two Perko marine latches because the center latch will self open traveling down the highway :thumbdown:

Galley

Galley detail, Progressive Dynamics power center switches for the pump, water heater AC and DC, Morningstar panel and battery meter (reads through the solar controller) Power Pole connectors for the fridge when running on DC.

Interior shot with Sirius receiver, radio, second Solar converter, Vectron battery monitor (the round thingy), reading lights.

Second interior with beat driver cooling off but showing Nancy's quilt nicely.

Front cabinets with lots of storage and the TV/DVD.

Detail of the use of computer case fans.

Camp set up, with tarps flying and really an EDL sort of shot.

Hacked 5,000 Btu AC

Tongue, note the lock on the hitch and the holder to keep the 7 blade plug off, I also went with SS shackles for the safety, the plane steel tended to rust and jam.
Last edited by Shadow Catcher on Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Re: Photography 101

Postby mikeschn » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:52 pm

Do you suppose you could give us an example of the best 6 pictures one could take of their teardrop? Use yours as a guinea pig! :thumbsup:

I for one would love to know the best pics to take of the teardrop, and the best way to capture the teardrop in it's environment.

Mike...

P.S. Hints why certain angles or views are best are greatly appreciated!
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby parnold » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:56 pm

I took 1700+ pictures on my Walk the Winds trip. Paired that down to 300 for myself, and 150 to show others. I have to admit, I'm a little shy when taking pictures of other peoples teardrops.

How's this for a galley pic?

parnold
Donating Member

Postby mezmo » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:40 am

Paul,

Your nice galley shot shows one of those details Shadow Catcher was
talking about --- those nifty TD shaped/design drawer pulls !

I had to look a little closer to realize what they were, but in a shot that
was taken from further away, they wouldn't have really been noticeable
at all.

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:04 am

As suggested I will do a number of pictures of Compass Rose as examples, But Paul's picture illustrate exactly what I was talking about, Only when the frame is filled can you see the detail. One of my thoughts since I am a firm believer in learning from others is that specific detail of how some one solved a problem, often very creative can be helpful after all 'plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery' .
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:19 pm

Shadow Catcher wrote:As suggested I will do a number of pictures of Compass Rose as examples

Looking forward to seeing your examples. As I still have a lot to learn, this should help out quite a bit!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Shadow Catcher » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:49 pm

Slow I do my best to convey meaning and content in the way the audience will get the most out of it, For me that means some semblance of correct grammar and spelling and photos that tell a story. To do otherwise show disrespect for the audience, that you consider them less than deserving of any effort.
There are those on this forum that do put in that effort and do in many cases I am sure do so instinctively tell a story. Bob Henry is a good example, I may give him a hard time but I respect how he makes an effort to tell how he does something and adds pictures that add to that.

I was going to try and shoot pictures today but the weather is NOT cooperating and as much because arthritis despite, meds, are really telling me what I should not have done earlier in life.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:31 pm

Shadow,

We'll wait patiently! :) I know the information you want to share, and I think it would be very beneficial.

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Re: Photography 101 Photos added

Postby Shadow Catcher » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:31 pm

I started the process with existing photos from the Gallery. They are thumbnails or I have no idea how to make them larger.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:49 pm

I assume you mean the two new photos you uploaded yesterday... these two...

Here are the directions for posting pictures to your posts...

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=48764

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:06 pm

Those are ones from our trip that I up loaded last night. I took a couple of photos today that will fill things out Including an unobstructed galley picture.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:34 pm

Okay, so far I see...

1) 3/4 view
2) gallery shot
3) interior headboard shot

shouldn't there be an interior footboard/cabinet shot?
I think you've got the ceiling shot covered with your roof vent
closeups of special details...

What am I missing here?

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:45 pm

Nope that is pretty much it. I will try and redo the pictures to larger size but running out of time. Nancy goes in for cataract surgery on the second eye tomorrow morning EARLY.
Last edited by Shadow Catcher on Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:22 pm

Do you have shot of your cabinets above your feet that you can share ?

Mike..
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:47 pm

Those are the front cabinets. CR has the headboard in the rear not the front
These are the AC inlets and you can see the door and cabinets above
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales