Winter Camping

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Winter Camping

Postby jfocallag » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:38 pm

Since I store my camper, at least once during the winter, I have to bring it home to charge the battery. The weather forecast said that the weekend was going to be sunny, highs in the mid 40s and lows down to mid 30s, so I decided to give 'winter' camping a try. There is a state park with electrical hookups about 45 minutes from my home.

Now let me say something about Oregon weather, it is what it is when it is. I know this.

I arrived on Saturday. It was overcast and chilly. Not to worry. I set up my campsite:

And Bailey and I settled in for a nice cozy afternoon listening to music and reading. Note the cube heater on the shelf:

The next morning I made myself eggs, bacon and toast in 30 degree weather. I know this sounds strange but it was delicious. Here comes the sun:

I spent the day sitting in my zero gravity chair in my sleeping bag reading my book in the sun or taking walks with Bailey.

The next day, I had to go back into town for a doctor appointment. I awoke to frost which was ok. When I returned, there was 1 1/2 inches of snow on the ground with more falling. I wish I had taken the picture before I cleared the snow of off the shelter:

Picture from inside the camper as the snow fell:

Now, I am originally from WI, so driving in the snow does not bother me. On the other hand, I have never towed in the snow. I was also a little disconcerted when everyone else (yes, there are other crazy people in the world) began to bug out. I looked at the forecast (yes, I know) for the next day and decided that it would get warm enough with the sun shinning by the time I left that the roads should be clear. And that is what happened:

I would like to take this opportunity to give a great big thank you to Camp Inn. For someone who has neither the time nor the skills to build something like this, I am glad I found this camper. I have to say that in my 50 odd years, this in one of the best things I have purchased. The people at Camp Inn have been great to work with and stand behind their product.

In the last year, I have had many great adventures and met some really wonderful people in the teardrop community. I am looking forward to 2013 and what it will bring.

I have to say that I had a great weekend. I wish everyone a Happy and Healthy New Year.
jfocallag
Teardrop Builder

Re: Winter Camping

Postby Woodbutcher » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:51 pm

Thanks for the post and the pictures. You are braver then I am. I draw the line at snow. Your Raindrop is the way to travel, that is first class. Cheers!
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:57 pm

Thank you for sharing with us.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby cherokeegeorge » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:27 pm

I love to winter camp, in fact the only weather i wont camp in is high winds. bad weather camping is just a matter of being prepared. and it sure keeps the crowds down. a little adversity makes for a memorable adventure. glad you had a good time and thanks for the pics. :thumbsup:
George

For info on hitch covers
Teardrophitchcovers.com
cherokeegeorge
A Merkin Indian

Postby vaddisonme » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:25 pm

Beautiful camper and beautiful trip!
The Marshmallow pulling our Sweet Potato.
vaddisonme
Teardrop Advisor

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:41 pm

I looked at that camper and thought, "That looks like Joan's set-up!" Then, as I read on and saw that your pet's name is Bailey and then saw his picture, I knew it was you!!!! What an adventurous soul you are! It's great to see a posting from you! Beautiful pictures and a very entertaining story!
Glad you had fun. I look forward to seeing you and the pooch in the spring. Meanwhile, stay warm, dry, and safe! Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup: :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:50 pm

Joan, what is the logic behind having the two discard-able propane bottles as well as the larger, refillable tank? It looks like you have a mounting system set-up for the discard-able ones, too? Can you show us a better picture of that and an explanation of why and how it works? Thanks!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Maureenm » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:33 pm

Love it! The snow is much more fun than rain. The picture from inside looking out is wonderful! I know exactly where you were camping. Check out the new Towline, lots of gatherings coming up in our area!
Maureen
Maureenm
Donating Member

Postby jfocallag » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:53 pm

S. Heisley wrote:Joan, what is the logic behind having the two discard-able propane bottles as well as the larger, refillable tank? It looks like you have a mounting system set-up for the discard-able ones, too? Can you show us a better picture of that and an explanation of why and how it works? Thanks!

Sharon,

My bigger propane tank is empty. I haven't gotten it refilled yet. I have an adapter for the propane hose that allows me to connect 1 pound bottles. The one on the ground is empty. The connected bottle is just sitting on the frame of the trailer.

Joan
jfocallag
Teardrop Builder

Postby jfocallag » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:57 pm

Maureenm wrote:Love it! The snow is much more fun than rain. The picture from inside looking out is wonderful! I know exactly where you were camping. Check out the new Towline, lots of gatherings coming up in our area!
Maureen

Maureen,

I have several trips planned this year. One is a return to this park the first weekend of June. Are you going to that as well?

Joan
jfocallag
Teardrop Builder

Postby Maureenm » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:45 pm

Yes, I wasn't sure if you had secured a site after the initial discussion by email. I seem to be the contact for our little group of Teardroppers, so I will include you in the loop when I get another email from the gal organizing the activities.. Are you coming to the Gorge over Memorial Day? It's a nice gathering.
Maureenm
Donating Member

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales