A Tale of a Camp Site in Ontario

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

A Tale of a Camp Site in Ontario

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:20 pm

The process of reserving a camp site at Lake Superior Provincial Park Agawa bay has been a bit frustrating to put it mildly :?
We are planing on 8 days starting June 24th. I designed many of the systems in Compass Rose for this sort of experience, solar...
I anticipated the same sort of mad scramble to get a reservation that I had for Yosemite, 3 seconds after it opens up they are ALL gone. Not the case. :roll:
A Prime site, shore line is roughly $43 a day and here was the kicker, three attempts to reserve and I finally call and find out they do not take Debit cards, we gave up credit cards more than ten years ago. The do however take prepaid credit cards so $10 more to get one of those.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Re: A Tale of a Camp Site in Ontario

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:53 pm

...Interesting. Who knew?!!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby eamarquardt » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:42 pm

If you can resist spending money you don't have credit cards are a good deal. 1-3% back on some purchases, enhanced warranties, help resolution, loss insurance, and probably more.

I work on any number of "special thingys" and purchase weird parts and supplies all the time. W/O a credit card it would be considerably more difficult to spend Suzy's money.

You may want to reconsider your "no credit card" policy.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:24 am

Gus
Up to this point I have not had a problem with any one accepting a debit card including over seas purchases. I have two, one has only enough in the account to cover a specific purchase. The reason we do not have credit cards is that we got into trouble, after credit counseling and letting the agency negotiate lower rates and handling the payments (the reason they can get the lower rates) we gave them up. It started us on the road to being debt free which we have achieved.
Tom
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Gage » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:26 pm

I understand your position but like that I have 1 credit card for that reason. I don't care about the interest because I don't run a balance that I can't pay off monthly. By doing that, no interest is charged. ;)
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:16 pm

It used to be that way at Agawa Bay. When we first went 20+ years ago, but that was when they had only had outhouses and if you wanted to get clean you soaped up and ran in, and out of lake Superior quickly, there are now showers and flush toilets. LSPP is truly our favorite park and much of that is because of the canoeing. Most of the park you can not get to any other way.
LSPP is not near any large population center and yet it is very popular. Camp sites are spacious and on the beach listening to the lake, waking to common loons cruising by, doesn't get any better than that.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales