Our Maiden Voyage - Mystic CT

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Our Maiden Voyage - Mystic CT

Postby Oldragbaggers » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:25 pm

Disclaimer: This post is a little long-winded. I wanted it to be not only a trip report, but also maybe give some hints and tips that might be useful to anyone still in the planning or outfitting stages, as well as a campground and gear review and a recommendation for an area to visit. I hope it serves this purpose.

I am delighted to report that the Sagwagon has been on her maiden voyage and it was a huge success. The teardrop is everything we had hoped and my only regret is that I didn't know about them years ago. We have both been wanting to go to the Wooden Boat Show at the Mystic Seaport for years. Since it was scheduled to occur shortly after the completion of the Sagwagon it seemed like the perfect destination for our first trip.

Enough duffel bags to hold everything we needed for a long weekend (or longer) fit very neatly on the shelf in the cabin. We could have fit in one more bag with no problem. The fan was wedged in between the bags to keep it secure in transit. The small cabinets held little things like ditty bags, Kindle, First Aid kit and other necessities and there was a LOT of room left. We hung rip stop fabric bags on the hooks next to the shelf to hold our shoes at night. That worked out very well and shoes were always clean dry and handy when we needed them. The super simple electrical worked well and the fan kept the cabin very comfortable at night. (I was glad I remembered my 30 amp adapter from WalMart. We would have been heck out of luck without it!!)

The galley was adequate for everything we needed, which we just organized in simple plastic bins. The extention table rode on the counter top with some non skid shelf liner underneath it. The little box with the paper towels has a pole in the middle for the towels and spice and condiment containers fit around the towels. I saw one at a seafood restaurant and just had to build one. It has little rubber non skid pads on the bottom. It didn't move an inch during the trip.

Like a proud mama.

We did make the mistake of following the GPS straight up the I-95 which put us in rush hour traffic outside NYC. Not fun. What should have been a 5 hour trip turned into a 10 hour trip by the time it was all said and done.

We stayed in East Lyme, CT at the Aces High RV Park. A little more pricey than the average state park (they give a 10% discount to Good Sam members), but compared to what we used to pay for hotel rooms it was a downright bargain. We had a lovely site right next to a running brook. It was very pleasant. The bath facilities were clean, there is electric, water, (and sewer at every site except ours), fire rings, a pool, dump station, small campstore, and a very nice staff (especially Felix the maintenance man, who took pics of the tear and sent them to his wife, possibly a future teardrop owner???). The drive to the Seaport took around 15 minutes. I would definitely stay there again.

Due to our traffic issues, we arrived quite late and it started getting dark soon after we pulled in. We were racing the quickly approaching darkness, had gear all over the ground, Lance was putting chemicals and water in the porta potty, the teardrop was still locked up and I had no idea where my keys were at the moment when our first visitors showed up wanting to see the teardrop!! As bad as I felt about it, I politely declined and told them I would be more than happy to show them around after we got unlocked and organized a bit. By the time that happened it was much too dark for anyone to see anything anyway.

Saturday morning we were only up and out for a few minutes when three more people showed up wanting to look around and take pictures. I was still in my pajamas. (My advice to newbies....get dressed and make your bed right away, just in case.) Holy cow. I wasn't quite prepared for THIS much attention. In all we gave 4 tours while at the campground. Everyone there was super nice.

Our first camp breakfast, home fries, homemade Goetta, eggs and coffee.

A truly "happy camper."

After breakfast we headed into Mystic for the boat show. It was everything we had imagined and so much more. Mystic itself is just lovely, the harbor was postcard perfect, and I have never seen so many drop-dead gorgeous boats in one place in my life. I was absolutely wide-eyed and crazed all day long, trying so hard to see everything. (Impossible to do in one day. I wish we had planned to be there the whole three days of the show.)

Lance is in his glory whenever boats are involved.

This one was my favorite.

Saturday night we were exhausted from a long day of walking so dinner was steaks cooked over the camp fire. So relaxing.

Sunday we took a different route home. We went a long, long way out of our way to avoid coming anywhere near New York City. It took 8 hours instead of 10. (I'm still wondering where the 5 hour route is that MapQuest kept telling us about.....) We will definitely save trips of this distance for when we have at least 5 days. We had planned to meet up with Dean in CT and KCStudly, but due to the expectedly long travel times did not get the opportunity to do so.

The teardrop towed like a dream. Lance kept track of the gas mileage and our mpg only dropped by one mile to the gallon towing the tear. I'm really happy we took this short trip prior to our 10 day trip to KY and the CRA on the 20th. It gave me a little opportunity to evaluate things and figure out what I need to add, subtract or change.

Things I will change:

The extension table is being moved from the galley to the outside of the teardrop. (I have already started this.) I found I was not comfortable leaving my hatch open at night for fear the food might attract critters, which meant the table had to be removed every night in order to put the hatch down, and if I wanted to store it on the counter everything had to be cleared off and packed away. Very inconvenient. Even though I have been resistant to the idea of mounting things on the outside of the tear, in the end form needs to follow function.

I will leave one of the Coleman lanterns at home and use its storage space for the Coleman 502 single burner stove. We found we barely used the lantern as they are too bright and are a huge bug draw. The light of the campfire and the yellow light on the electrical pedestal was enough once we were familiar with our surroundings. We will bring some Citronella candles on the next trip and they can provide additional outside light. We figured out the first night it's best to leave the light off inside the trailer until after you're inside too. We were catching and throwing out beetles for an hour that had been attracted by the light and were waiting by the door to fly in the minute we opened it.

I need to install a couple of drink holders near the head of the bed so we can keep bottles of water handy during the night.

We wished we had brought an axe to chop up some of the dry wood we foraged for the campfire. There is one in our tonguebox now.

Our Rubbermaid cooler that fits my sliding drawer doesn't hold ice for crap. It seemed like every time we turned around we were throwing in another bag of ice. We will be using our Frigid Rigid in the future, which will hold ice for a solid week but will not fit in the teardrop. I will use the sliding drawer for a plastic bin(s) to hold dry foods and the cooler will ride in the truck.

And I packed way too many refrigerated foods in the first place. In the future I will bring the dry staples from home and shop for fresh meats, veggies, milk and such along the way.

The Coleman camping cookset is crap. The bottom of the pan scorched and the nonstick started scratching off with the first use, even though I used plastic utensils. It's being replaced by quality pots and pans. If they take up more room, so be it, another bin in the truck. I broke down and bought a Lodge 12" cast iron skillet today. (Debbie, Nevadatear, I'll be needing that recipe for pork chops and apples.)

Our Terminix man gave us an electric Mosquito Sentry which was supposed to repel and kill mosquitos in the campsite. It holds a liquid and I think it was supposed to be vaporized into the air. As far as I can tell all it did was leak all the liquid onto the ground and all over our stuff. Thank God it was a freebie. If you are ever offered the opportunity to part with $100 for one of these gizmos, don't. We'll use Citronella candles in the future.

We had purchased as Texsport Hilo Hut to use as a porta potty tent. What a mess that was. We returned it an bought the Cabela's Trekker pop up privy tent and we love it. Easy and fast to put up and take down, it is very roomy, and has a nice floor that detaches for easy cleaning. I had to watch the video and practice closing it up twice but after that it was a piece of cake and I recommend it highly.

Lance installed a tonneau cover and tailgate lock on the truck this week, which is good because the amount of gear that will be riding in the truck seems to increase by the day. Next thing is to get a better receiver tube welded on the back of the teardrop for our bike racks as we have decided against putting racks on the truck. In 18 days we are off again!!
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Re: Our Maiden Voyage - Mystic CT

Postby Roo Dog » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:01 pm

Becky,

Your post was a real good read.
I shall read it again a few more times over the next few day so as to digest it all.
Your favorite boat looks like something I would choose. Love traditional sail boats.
Great stuff.

Take it easy.

RD
Lets do a three sixty and get out of here !
Roo Dog
Silver Donating Member

Postby bart » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:09 pm

Great report, thanks for taking the time to prepare it.
bart
Teardrop Builder

Postby citylights » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:13 pm

"I need to install a couple of drink holders near the head of the bed so we can keep bottles of water handy during the night.

We wished we had brought an axe to chop up some of the dry wood we foraged for the campfire. There is one in our tonguebox now."

Sweet! Thanks for the tips. Cup holders! What a concept.
citylights
500 Club

Postby PKCSPT » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:53 am

Cup holders! great idea I am going to steal :thumbsup:
thanks for that idea
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby Verna » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:22 am

Wonderful description of your maiden voyage, Becky. I'm so glad it worked out.

I put drink holders in my 4-wide and it was a great thing. They were already in my Silver Shadow. Unbelievable how much they come in handy, not only for drinks, but for tape measures, dog leashes, keys, etc.

I'll be trying a bike rack on the rear of the Silver Shadow this week. My Swagman worked between the 4-wide and the Escape, but it won't fit with the Silver Shadow--the jack handle is different and there's not enough "jack knife" room between the vehicles.

Looking forward to meeting you guys and seeing your pride and joy!
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Postby Jdw2717 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:41 pm

Sounds like it was a great trip. I have only been to Mystic once but would love to go back for the wooden boat show.

I have done one overnight in mine and plan on doing one next week with the TN tearjerkers if the weather holds up. I am sure I will find several things to change/delete/add to my set up also. Keep us posted on any new changes after your next run. :thumbsup:
"Twenty years form now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines... Explore. Dream. Discover" Mark Twain

John & Tatanya
Jdw2717
Teardrop Master

Postby PSBreen » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:04 pm

Becky and Lance,

Congratulations on your first big trip. Except for the extended drive, it sounds like you had a great time. Here's to many, many more great adventures in the "Sagwagon".
Steve & Cynthia
PSBreen
Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:47 pm

Congrats Becky on your first trip!
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Oldragbaggers » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:58 pm

Thanks everyone. Leaving for the CRA in 17 days!!
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:24 pm

Good review, Becky. Glad you had a successful trip. And, now, you still have time to make your maiden voyage adjustments so that you are ready to enjoy CRA!!! Good planning. :applause: :thumbsup: :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby nevadatear » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:20 pm

Becky, what a great trip! I was pretty sure you would discover exactly what you did with the extension table. I almost built one that was a fold out flip up, then realized the same thing about closing the hatch. Every trip we make some little change. As for pork chops and apples, I actually use a nifty short cut. It is a mcCormick prepackaged spice package with the recipe card attached.

http://www.mccormick.com/Spices-and-Flavors/Herbs-and-Spices/Recipe-Inspirations/Apple-and-Sage-Pork-Chops

We are headed out to hopefully find a cool area to camp for the weekend. 104 today down from 108 yesterday.
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby CliffinGA » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:41 pm

Becky,

Congrats on your first outing and like I said before all your first several trips you find stuff you want to change! Cup holders check your local RV center or order from Amazon and get a couple of these cup holders
http://www.amazon.com/American-Technolo ... cup+holder

Instead of citronella candles you might get a couple of the cheap $8 lanterns at Walmart and fill with Tiki oil with citronella in it. They give off a soft light and keep the pest away!

I was going to copy your table but I think now I'm going to build one that goes on the bottom and cover the lower cabinets instead of doors.

Thanks for sharing girl and see you in 18 days and happy 4th!

Cliff :thumbsup:
In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:50 pm

Glad you had a successful first trip, and sorry we didn't find the time to get together.

The brook that runs down thru that campground is Latimer Brook. The campground has been revamped in recent years. There used to be a steak restaurant there that served the best prime rib in CT, "The Chopping Block".

I'm looking forward to your next trip report! :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby AlgoDan » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:47 am

Congrats on your maiden voyage, What a feeling and all the hard work payed off. Enjoy your trailer and your travels. :beer:
Here now but Camping later.............Dan

Build Journal
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54681
102535 103199 105576
From .................Paper...........................To.......................... Pavement............................
AlgoDan
The 300 Club

Next

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales