Lake Superior Provincial Park trip

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Lake Superior Provincial Park trip

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:23 pm

We returned from our stay in Lake Superior Provincial Park Tuesday. This is what I designed Compass Rose for serious on the beach relaxation 8)
Wha with one thing and another we did not get off real early the previous Monday. The canoe has to go on last to be able to load the refrigerator and ice chest (staying for a week with no close stores) required both. Traveling from near Toledo up through Michigan we averaged about 17 MPG with a very full load out.

I was fearful there would be a problem with the camp site (listed for tent) but the only problem was trees which limited being able to turn the TV. LOTS of back and forth to shoe horn it in.

There is a bit of a story here, I sent our rear tarp back into Pahaque Design to have mosquito netting added and they misunderstood when I wanted it, So they were working on it and it did not make our date for leaving, they did however get it mostly done and shipped it to our daughter and son in-law who came up Wednesday for a couple of days, (Jamie grew up going to LSPP and wanted to again). It was a help because we were in bug hell, heavy rain lead to LOTS of the most voracious mosquitoes I have ever seen, on top of the black flies. We ultimately Had to get more repellent, three cans used, and still have hundreds of bites. OK you might ask, why did we not go later in the year when they are mostly gone, we have grand son number one due in a couple of weeks!
Before tarp
With tarp, and laundry.

Why LSPP
On the beach

The birds are two loons, just off shore from our camp site.
The yellow in the water is tree pollen

Everything worked well. I wanted to find out how the solar panel would work and have an additional 144W panel I can put out when needed (but did not). the camp site was surrounded by trees and the full 185W panel on top of CR maybe got one hour of full sun the rest of the time it was partially or fully shaded. The high voltage panel however supplied usable current from dawn to dusk. Loads, the refrigerator was on 24/7, lights for reading at night, radio and XM receiver, fans and one night we watched a movie. We lost ground each day the battery not being brought up to 100% SOC, but after 7 days we were down to 62% SOC the morning we left. it was 100% by the time we got home.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Re: Lake Superior Provincial Park trip

Postby glenpinpat » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:12 pm

Nice pictures! Never camped there but have had lunch on the shore several times. So what season did you hit-blackfly or mosquito?
glenpinpat
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:02 pm

It looks like you had a relaxing time and a lot of fun! Thanks for sharing! :applause: :thumbsup:
I do hope that you will post a picture of your revised Pahaque shelter with the netting, when you get it, as I'd be interested in seeing it.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:49 pm

glen
This was June 24th on
Sharon we did have the modified tarp , just not complete yet and mods needing to be made. I will add two of the other images.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:08 pm

Oh! That's a lot different from what you had been using. It looks bigger, too. Thanks :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:52 pm

It is the same tarp, with screens. the dimensions are 14' long 14' wide at the widest and 6' wide at the tear
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales