Trip to Yellowstone

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Trip to Yellowstone

Postby mustangcats » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:08 pm

Just got back from a trip to Yellowstone. Spent a week in the Yellowstone area but I did not take my trailer into the park. I camped at the 3 Mile Campground in the Shoshone National Forest...3 miles east of the east entrance to Yellowstone. It did make for extra driving each day to visit Yellowstone, but I didn't have reservations for the campgrounds in the park and I didn't want to fight the crowds for the 1st come 1st served spaces. The campground I stayed at was very nice with nicely spaced campsites...and best of all it was very, very quiet. It didn't have any hookups, but generators are allowed 6am to 10pm. The campground host was very nice and helpful...and she even showed me pictures of her 1957 teardrop that she restored. I drove through the other Shoshone NFS campgrounds, and I would recommend any of them. The only problem I had during the trip was when I ran into a terrible wind, rain and hail storm just east of Interstate 25 on US Highway 26. It came up so quickly and I had no place to seek shelter. I was able to get off the road just in time, because then the very, very strong winds along with torrential rain and pea to marble size hail began. It lasted about 15 minutes and my truck and trailer shook the whole time. There was nothing I could do but hope the hail wouldn't knock out the windows or the wind wouldn't blow the trailer over. When it finally stopped I drove about 1/4 mile and then the highway was completely covered with about 2" of hail and it was hard to drive through. The front and left side of the trailer are dented as is the hood and top of my pickup. I had read about nasty storms in Wyoming...and now I believe it! The rest of the trip was without any problems and I really enjoyed all the sights of Yellowstone (it was my first time there). I wonder where my next trip will take me?
mustangcats
Silver Donating Member

Re: Trip to Yellowstone

Postby tony.latham » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:28 am

I've camped with my tear at Mammoth, Slough Creek, Pebble Creek, and the USFS Soda Butte campground just outside the park east of Cooke City. Without a doubt, Slough Creek is my favorite, but you'd better be there by 10:00 am to be lucky enough for a slot. Pebble is a close second. Slough's a great place to collect enough buffalo "chips" to BBQ a flank steak for dinner! I woke up one May morning thinking I had a mouse in the teardrop at Mammoth only to look out the window and see an elk's butt that was having a breakfast of newly greened-up grass. Mammoth is a likeable campground in May –it's the only thing open early. This year we had an elk drop a calf about fifty yards below our campsite. Mom was one grouchy neighbor.

TL
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales