Launching Earth Shuttle Columbia

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Re: Launching Earth Shuttle Columbia

Postby Travels with Yoly » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:04 pm

We haven't camped in Georgia actually, but my favorite State Park is about 30 minutes from our house .... Amicalola State park. There is camping there but I've never seen the campground. We take out of town visitors there to see the Falls, one of the tallest (736 feet) in the Southeast. It's particularly beautiful in the fall .... see link from our travel channel .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjMMZTI_AR8
There are lots of hiking trails as well as trails and viewing points to see the falls from various levels. At the top of the falls, you can actually look right over the top of the falls. There is a really nice lodge at the top with a spectacular view and nice restaurant also. All the footage in the video was shot in the park.

If you want to see what the falls look like in the summer and what nearby Lake Lanier looks like, you can view another video made when some friends visited back in 2011 ..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOmQy5F1HcE

There are also lots of Corps of Engineer campgrounds around Lake Lanier that look nice from the lake, but again, we've never actually camped there. There are lots of campgrounds with beautiful natural surroundings spread all throughout the north Georgia Mountains. The beginning of the Appalachian Trail is found in this area also.

Let us know if you ever plan to get down this way ;)
Travels with Yoly
Teardrop Builder

Postby rowerwet » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:20 pm

so was your big New England trip the first camping with the tear?
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby Travels with Yoly » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:05 am

rowerwet wrote:so was your big New England trip the first camping with the tear?

Yes it was ... hence the "Launching of Columbia" moniker :lol:

Heading down to Marathon Key next month, then a T@B Rally in NC at the end of April, then up to Indianapolis for an Indy car race in May and then in July, off to the west coast and the Pacific Northwest (Olympic National Park) via the southern route into Southern California, then another T@B Rally in Idaho and another one in Ohio before heading home. Film at 11

:pictures:
Travels with Yoly
Teardrop Builder

Postby Esteban » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:16 am

Thanks for sharing your travel adventures. When you come to California you might consider coming to the IRG 5.0 teardrop gathering near Eureka, CA. I've been once. Had a wonderful time camping in the redwoods and making new friends. pamplingrove.com July 2-6, 2014. You'd be in the running to win an award for the longest distance traveled.
:) :thinking:
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby Travels with Yoly » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:33 pm

Esteban wrote:Thanks for sharing your travel adventures. When you come to California you might consider coming to the IRG 5.0 teardrop gathering near Eureka, CA. I've been once. Had a wonderful time camping in the redwoods and making new friends. pamplingrove.com July 2-6, 2014. You'd be in the running to win an award for the longest distance traveled.
:) :thinking:

I was told that invitations to this event were limited to Teardrops and Homebuilts and that our T@B may not be considered an authentic Teardrop due to its size. We were originally planning to attend.
Travels with Yoly
Teardrop Builder

Postby Esteban » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:16 pm

I went in 2008, slept in a tent, and was pretty chilly camping under the redwoods. One of the best experiences of my life. It was mostly teardrops (maybe 90+% when I attended) and some tiny trailers. No big RVs. If you are not sure PM Joanie, aka "Teardrop Nanny". It always sells out so best decide soon. Hope to see you there. There is an IRG thread in the SouthWest forum that Joanie is participating in.
:)

I've invited friends to join me who have an interest in teardrops. Good friends who I want to introduce to teardrop trailers, teardrop gatherings, and good food and cheer under the redwoods.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby Travels with Yoly » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:42 pm

Thank you Steve for the good advice. We were originally told that the gathering takes place in mid July (not quite accurate) and so it seemed to fit our schedule since we will be traveling north up the coast from Southern Calif to Washington on our way ultimately to attend the LG Western Rally in Ponderosa State Park in McCall, Idaho starting August 3rd. and then the LG Rolling Home Rally the following week in Ohio, on our way back to Georgia. With this new information, I've tried to configure a route and schedule that would allow this event, but it would add weeks to our original plan and unfortunately, is beyond our strict budget for this trip. Thank you so much for your kind consideration and advice .... hope to run into you another time hopefully.
:)
Travels with Yoly
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales