cold wet tornados

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

cold wet tornados

Postby Tx River Rat » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:26 pm

If there was ever a trip that let me test the limits of my SD the last three weeks would be it.
Started below Waco ,first night Tyler state park great weather just windy ,Miss the next night as we pulled of the highway going to the campground I heard a siren,thought it was a cop pulling me over but no cop. We got to the campground found out a tornado was within 2 miles of us then the bottom fell out ,several inches of rain and high winds.
Drove up the trace to Nashville windy spitting snow and sleet ,temps dropped into the single didits,temps below freezing all week,we pulled out for TX the morning of another bad storm but rain through it and stayed ahead of it back home .
TEXAS never looked any better to me!!!!

The Casita preformed great ,no leaks boondocked a couple niight in the teens and a buddy heater kept us warm and snug, single didits we had hookups and a small ceramic heater kept us toasty,another night we used the heat strips and they kept us snug ( little trick that works for a fast warm up with the heat strips) turn on your stove top burners for a few minutes ,this circulates through the heat strips and has the trailer toasty in no time.
Had 2 problems , freezer froze some food and one window wouldn,t stay locked rolling down the road
The Casita to a licking but kept on ticking
Ron
Tx River Rat
2nd Teardrop Club

Re: cold wet tornados

Postby Vkkesu » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:52 pm

You were very lucky . I highly suggest getting a cb radio/weather radio. (Or just handheld weather radio). It has saved us a few times down South. Many times we listened to weather reports and changes directions on vacation to hit the pretty weather.

Nice to know what your tear drop can handle, and glad you didn't get a lot of hail damage being that close to the tornado !
Vkkesu
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales