Made a mistake this weekend

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Made a mistake this weekend

Postby JOMO » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:17 pm

Well I'm new at this trailer stuff so I go close to home and practice. I went to unhook the jeep from the teardrop and forgot to undo the chains. At this time my TD sets on a block, we don't have a wheel yet for the tongue and I pulled it off the block. I went looking for a man to help and this nice young lady said we don't have any men camping with us but let me see what I can do. She was able to pick up the trailer while I repositioned the block. I promised her I wouldn't make that mistake again. I got a pull thru site but I wanted to practice backing in. So I tried and man was I glad I had a pull thru I couldn't even get the TD to go anywhere near that site. I finally just pulled in. I think I need someone there to guide me next time I try. My grand-daughter and I had a great time and I did learn something so all in all good trip.
JOMO
Teardrop Builder

Re: Made a mistake this weekend

Postby citylights » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:45 pm

Practice backing up in a big empty parking lot. It takes some time to get a feel for it. Start with the car and trailer straight, front tires straight. Back up real slow. Turn the swearing wheel a small amount while backing. See what that does. Pull forward to get straight again. Back and turn the wheel the other way. Over and over until it comes more natural.

I find that I have to make really small movements with the steering wheel, otherwise it gets crazy fast! Also, of something goes wrong, you can always pull up and start over.

Good luck!

Oh, and get a wheeled jack on the front of your teardrop!
citylights
500 Club

Postby JOMO » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:25 pm

Yes citylights I've already told my son I need that wheel up front before I leave the yard again. I'm taking your advice about the parking lot. My thinking was it didn't matter how straight I parked the TD in the camp site so it would be okay, but little did I know that I couldn't even get it off the road in the camp ground with out it turning sideways on me :oops: Live and learn, I'll do better next time.
JOMO
Teardrop Builder

Postby rowerwet » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:21 pm

once you have a tongue jack, you can unhook and push the trailer back for those times you just can't back up
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby PKCSPT » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:06 pm

I started backing up my trailer by putting my hand on the bottom of the steering wheel, move your hand in the direction you want the trailer to go. I still like to practice and my neighbors probably think I am nuts as once or twice a year I back it straight ( sorta kinda anyway ) down our alley and in to our yard.
Sounds like you had a good time good time.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby Tom Kurth » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:30 pm

When I worked for an animal feed business, one of my duties was loading and unloading semis. Had a driver in one time that should never have been allowed on the road--couldn't back up to a dock without direction from me--claimed to be a great straight-ahead-driver. Funny, huh? Point being, to learn to back up a single-axle trailer, figure out a straight line that will put you where you want to be when you back up. Then line up your rig along that line so you can see with your rear-view mirror. At that point you can back up with only slight movements of the steering wheel. Any time you get off line, stop, pull forward a little until you are re-aligned, then try it again. I know, this only helps when you have plenty of room to get in a straight position--that's where the idea of practicing in a big, empty parking lot comes into play. Hope this helps.
Tom Kurth
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:22 pm

Hey, no camping trip is a mistake.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:41 am

Wolffarmer wrote:Hey, no camping trip is a mistake.

Randy

ditto!

:wine:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby P'colaTear » Sat May 10, 2014 9:05 am

I am a solo female camper, pulling my TD for 4 years and have FINALLY mastered backing it into a campsite (most of the time). When all else fails, I just unhitch it and push/pull into place. The great thing about camping is that there is always someone around to help. I struggled many times while trying to back in, but someone always volunteered to back it in for me. Don't be shy about asking for help and it is a great way to make new friends.
:D
P'colaTear
Teardrop Builder

Postby bonnie » Sat May 10, 2014 1:05 pm

eaglesdare wrote:
Wolffarmer wrote:Hey, no camping trip is a mistake.

Randy

ditto!

:wine:

Double Ditto!
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby tonyj » Sat May 10, 2014 10:45 pm

As I have said many times, successfully backing a trailer of any type is a black art that can only be accomplished by the Dark Lords of the Universe (but it is that skill which enables us to spot and identify those Dark Lords!).

Back very slowly. Make small corrections. Stop. Pull forward. Try again, slowly. Slow, minor corrections allow you to see what the trailer is doing, and make it do the opposite.

Don't feel intimidated even though everyone is watching you back up. You will screw up. Everyone does. There is no better afternoon entertainment than grabbing a cold one (or several) and going to a camp site or boat ramp to watch people back trailers--or try to. Almost as much fun as watching people parallel park.

Get a tongue jack with wheel, and enjoy your camping trips.

Oh, and the trailer chains--been there, done that, wear the t-shirt. Haven't ripped out the trailer wiring. Yet.
Still graced with two eyes and ten fingers (due in no small part to luck!).

Just when you think a problem is solved, an uglier result replaces it.

tony
tonyj
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sat May 10, 2014 10:53 pm

One thing I have learned about backing up is that every time you make a correction. It will need to be countered corrected and probably before you realize it. No shame in pulling forward and trying again.
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby SmokeyBear12 » Sat May 10, 2014 11:07 pm

Well, JOMO, I feel your angst about backing up. My biggest frustration is the right hand mirror is one of those convex(?) things and I get all dis-oriented. It's really hard with just one mirror to work with. So much so that I hardly bother any more. Like somebody said, get a tongue wheel. Mine has saved my bacon more times than I wish to remember.
SmokeyBear12
Teardrop Advisor

Postby d120 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:38 pm

I like PKCSPT's idea,also remember its easier backing up looking at the drivers side,than the passenger side,you can see much better,hopefuly that makes sense
d120
Teardrop Builder

Postby mikerueve » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:43 am

We're getting better at the backing up stuff. Never feel bad about pulling forward. A short wheelbase trailer is the one of the hardest thing to position properly. I agree with the others that suggest small turns and corrections. We store ours in one side of our garage and the first attempts at backing it in were abysmal at best. After our latest two-week trip, I've gotten a lot better. It's just practice, and at one point, I guarantee that the light bulb will suddenly go off in your head and you'll be a pro from then on.
mikerueve
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales