broken down Dodge truck

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

broken down Dodge truck

Postby josephhanson » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:51 am

I had a trip planned, we were going to head into Michigan for three weeks and see what there was to see. I had a little miss in the engine when the truck (2001 Dodge) was cold, so I took the truck to the dealer to see what the problem was. That was the first part of May, they replaced the intake manifold gasket and the truck ran like a new truck. Last week I was driving, running some errands, and the truck suddenly lost all oil pressure. As luck would have it, I was very near the same dealer that did the repairs in May. I stopped in there and told them what had happened, they listened to it and told me it's probably the oil sending unit since it wasn't making any "valve clattering" noises. That was Friday and they said bring it in Monday and they would check it out. I left the dealer, got about a block away and could hear the "clattering starting. I turned around, took it back and got a ride home. The dealer called me the next week and said I needed a new engine. They said there was metal shavings in the oil, and the couldn't warrant any repair they did because of the shavings, and they don't do work they can't warrant. I had the truck towed to a friend's shop. My friend removed the oil pan and found pieces of a shop rag wrapped around "everything", the cam shaft, oil pump, anything that moves. I took pictures, got some pieces of the rag, went back to talk with the Dodge dealer. To my surprise, they didn't argue or deny fault, they said that often times the mechanics use shop rags to keep dirt out of an engine when they have it open (like when they replace intake manifolds) and probably dropped one in the engine. shop foreman said he's seen this happen one other time, many years ago. Now they have the truck back to do whatever it takes to get me rolling again. Michigan will have to wait.
Joe
josephhanson
Donating Member

Re: broken down Dodge truck

Postby Woodbutcher » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:04 am

Sorry for your troubles, but at least they are making it right. I might ask for a different mechanic then the one that left the rag in the last time. Hopefully a new engine will make things better. Michigan will still be there in a few weeks.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:08 am

That is quite the oops, that evidence had to come from a second source before they would do something...
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:37 am

Had a similar issue a long time ago. What I found was that the management trust their people to do the correct procedures. When it doesn't happen and proof can be shown, well, they make it right. Human nature .... :roll:
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby working on it » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:41 pm

Hope they do right by you; surprised that they don't claim it came from the factory like that. (I've had bad experiences with some dealers, back in the day) Recently I had to repair/replace my trailer axle and repair the frame damage caused by overtightening a shackle bolt...probably done by a friend helping out, at another friend's garage (I really don't think I did it). A group of fellow car/dragracing enthusiasts all hung around for years, at the "guru's" shop, working communally on each other's cars and various other projects. Some were better at it than others, but none as good as our leader. If someone made a mistake, then the leader would catch it (or one of the other guys), and correct it. 99% of the time. With so much going on there, and so many levels of expertise, people coming and going (sometimes just helping for a minute), then eventually some errors happened. Some may have been unnoticed, and allowed to escape the shop. My trailer building incident was one. But, in the matter of engine building or overhauls, all were keenly aware of their actions and would take extra care to "do it right". I only know of two problems: (1) where the distributor wouldn't seat, after a carb/manifold upgrade (shop rag was left covering the opened engine, and the manifold was lowered onto it). Fixed immediately.(2) Missing a washer after an engine rebuild (in a hurry, big race the next day). We always kept nuts/bolts/washers to be re-used in coffee cans...no extra parts left was a good thing, not enough parts to finish was a bad thing.... Fortunately, I found the missing washer on the last head-to-engine bolt I had installed (stuck together by surface tension), so I didn't have to remove and re-torque all the head bolts. I knew that it was a head bolt washer, because I used separate cans for different assemblies this time (usually only one can was used for all). There probably were more errors that escaped the shop, over decades, with dozens of enthusiasts pitching in, but none I'm sure of. Mistakes happen, even with professionals doing the work. Glad that this dealer will rectify theirs.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby PKCSPT » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:23 am

Never heard of that happening before, someone made quite an ooopsy.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby coyote » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:31 am

Glad the dealer is taking care of you. I've worked in a Cat. dealer on transmissions for 40 years and have seen similar issues. A good, reputable dealer may cost more, but at times it sure pays off. Like oats, you can get them cheaper, but it's after they've been run through the hoarse. Dave
coyote
Titanium Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:21 pm

Yeah, my buddy Karl put new pipes and air filters on his Kawi; took it to a tuner to have the carbs rejetted on the dyno. The guy had his son working with him and the kid left rags in the top end after lashing the valves; lack of oil returning to the bottom end fried the crankshaft and rods. Ouch. The guy did make it right though. New bike got a new bottom end.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby josephhanson » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:01 pm

The dealer called me this morning, looks like some of the bearings were starved for oil. They are ordering the engine today. I never did get loud or obnoxious with the folks at the dealership, and they are doing the right thing (I did ask some direct questions, but I feel like I was polite when I was doing that) Some times things work out.
Joe
josephhanson
Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:54 am

I have long felt you get more from being civil, glad this has a good outcome for you.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:32 am

Shadow Catcher wrote:I have long felt you get more from being civil, glad this has a good outcome for you.

I second that. As much as you sometimes want to rip their heads off, getting load and angry usually works against you. Glad they are doing the right thing.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby josephhanson » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:06 pm

OK, since my last post, after many back and fourths with the insurance company, it was decided that they would put a used engine in the truck. I wasn't too happy with that but it came with a (one owner) lifetime warranty on the engine and labor. With the warranty, I could live with it. They ordered the used engine, put it in, and it had a lower engine knock, they got another used engine, opened the top and found the oil was gummy. I told them that if a third engine was bad, causing further delays, I would be done talking and would hire someone to talk for me from that point on.(it's been almost two months) I got a phone call last night, the manager told me that they were ordering a rebuilt engine and it would have a 100 thousand mile engine, 60 thousand mile labor warranty, transferable. (I think the third engine they already had must have been bad)
I just might get to go camping yet this year!
Joe
josephhanson
Donating Member

Postby josephhanson » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:58 am

FINALLY..two months after my truck went down, it is resurrected! Runs great, now I can plan a camping trip. Where to go?
Joe
josephhanson
Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:41 am

Good for you. You were certainly patient with them. We have 2 gatherings on the west side of Illinois if you are up for a road trip. Check out the Land Of Lincoln section on Tear Jerkers.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby valiantsailor » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:11 pm

Shadow Catcher wrote:That is quite the oops, that evidence had to come from a second source before they would do something...

This happened to me years ago with my 68 Dodge. Took it in and complained about a noise in the motor. They couldnt find it. Took it home and a week later the crankshaft broke. To their credit, they gave me a brand new engine under the warranty :D
valiantsailor
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales