Governor Dodge State Park, WI tornado

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Governor Dodge State Park, WI tornado

Postby Backroads4me » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:21 pm

Anyone camped at Governor Dodge SP (Dodgeville, WI), or driven through the area since the tornado whacked it June 30th? :cry: The park website has some info:

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/name/govdodge/

Damage to farms and homes on the outskirts of the park, considerable downed timber in and around it, luckily no one was injured. While the campgrounds are all open, somewhere I read the group campground, while open, "is no longer pretty". Didn't elaborate on what that meant, I can just imagine :NC Some trails and areas of the park will be closed until September (at the very least) for timber clean up. Wonder if the old barn near the northern horse trail parking lot is still standing.

Bob and I love this park, it's one of our favorite camping venues. After we set up camp, or at least the next day, we usually take a drive around the area, which is very lovely. Don't know what to expect now. Again, I'm happy no one was hurt, but feel bad that farm and home owners suffered damage.
Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Re: Governor Dodge State Park, WI tornado

Postby GerryS » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:42 pm

That's too bad. Dodge was our first night in serenity....it is a beautiful park :(. Or it was...
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Governor Dodge State Park, WI tornado (UPDATED)

Postby Backroads4me » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:37 am

We camped at Governor Dodge on the 29th, 30th, 31st of July, had a great time as usual. Found that the more severe tornado damage was in the outer edges of the park and trail areas. The group camp sites contained many down or broken trees, but not as many as we feared. Unfortunately, many farm folks lost entire woodlots, barns and outbuildings just outside the northern edge of the park on County Z and County ZZ. Luckily, the homes on most of these farms remain. Between the park and Dodgeville, there were a few damaged buildings and broken trees. Arial photos from the County Z areas are here:

http://dodgevillechronicle.smugmug.com/ ... &k=bvqWZML

We took a day trip drive west to Prairie Du Chein, and Wayalusing State Park----noticed tornado damage where apparently the tornado(s) moved in a hit or miss way. The Black Hawk Recreation Area's ranger station, as well as the wooded portion of their campground was a broken, uprooted tree filled mess. Last we heard, the outermost trails at Governor Dodge may be closed until next spring. Lots of logging trucks coming and going through the entire area now.
Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Re: Governor Dodge State Park, WI tornado

Postby GerryS » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:48 am

Thanks for the update. I live in tornado territory, I've lived through 1 which when it past me, I was in the most shroud set the base....it's amazing how one structure can be totally destroyed and the one right next to it repaired (ha) ok....left with almost no damage.

I have no plans on going to dodge....it's seriously out of my way, and I know I won't be up there any time soon. But it is an awesome park, and anyone who gets a chance needs to add it to their list of options.
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales