Southern Utah 2014

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Southern Utah 2014

Postby Forrest747 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:24 pm

Well we took some time and did a four day three night camping trip of Southern Utah. This included Goblin Valley, Capitol Reef National Park, Escalante petrified forest state park and a quick drive through Bryce Canyon and Zions.
Goblin state park was awesome and a great campsite. Due to storms in the area we couldnt do any slot canyons that are close to there. the facilities are great with showers and a covered pavilion that keeps the sun off the table. Water was close by, no cell service or power at the sites. The views are incredible and the goblins were fun to run around.
Capitol Reef was our next stop and lots of rain/wind. The sun shelter next to us blew over wasnt fun. the new metal awning poles held up much better with some guide lines, although the awning pooled alot of water. we enjoyed the time there just relaxed. Campsites have tons of shade and deer. water was near the restrooms and no power or cell service. cost was 10 dollars a night so a deal for sure.
122648 122650
We hiked down to the upper calf creek falls cause the hike is shorter than its famous lower calf creek falls. a nice 2 mile round trip vs 6 miles. still alot of sand but the first and last quarter mile is almost straight up sandstone. takes lots of water on this hike. we got lost and went to above the falls that had some awesome pools that were just right although no shade.
Escalante state park was not bad, had showers that were very welcomed. right next to a resivior lots of things to do. be careful in selecting campsites cause some do not have alot of room to park (ie pad 4).
wanting to get to st. george we made just quick trips to see Bryce Canyon and Zions. THe road from escalante to Bryce is amazing. we stopped for lunch in orderville at a german bakery Backerei Forscher, prices were not bad. Zions was a quick drive through the park. 25 dollars to drive through both parks. almost a 1000 miles and we had fun
Last edited by Forrest747 on Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All the success on the trail can not compensate for having square headlights"

"I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!"
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=37701 Build Journal
Forrest747
Cowbell Donating Member

Re: Southern Utah 2014

Postby KCStudly » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:42 pm

Nice! Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup: :applause:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby teamredjeep » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:56 pm

Very cool! :)
teamredjeep
Donating Member

Postby citylights » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:54 pm

Looks like a great trip. I want to do that one!
citylights
500 Club

Postby jbdaniels » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:57 pm

Hey Forrest. Joe here. That was me in the teardrop next to you in Capitol Reef. And yes, that was my sunshade the blew over while I was away. Thanks again for stowing it for me. :)

Glad you had a good trip. By the way, just sent in my deposit check for a Camp-Inn 550 Ultra! woohoo. :)
Safe Travels,

Joe
jbdaniels
Teardrop Builder

Postby Forrest747 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:39 am

jbdaniels wrote:Hey Forrest. Joe here. That was me in the teardrop next to you in Capitol Reef. And yes, that was my sunshade the blew over while I was away. Thanks again for stowing it for me. :)

Glad you had a good trip. By the way, just sent in my deposit check for a Camp-Inn 550 Ultra! woohoo. :)

Have fun with the Camp-Inn. Here is your trailer during one of the down pours. Your welcome on putting your shelter away I hope its survived other than the broken stake.

"All the success on the trail can not compensate for having square headlights"

"I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!"
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=37701 Build Journal
Forrest747
Cowbell Donating Member

Postby mkitchen » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:44 pm

How often do you get to meet your campground neighbor through a forum? Pretty darn neat!
Sounds like a great time in a state that has so much to offer. I am going up to spend a week in the Henry mountains in August and another week in October touring through Canyonlands. both will be back country, so sadly, the teardrop will not be coming, but we are really looking forward to seeing the country. If I didn't love Arizona as much as I do, I would be living in Utah.
Mikey
mkitchen
Teardrop Master

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales