Bay of Fundy, NB Canada

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Bay of Fundy, NB Canada

Postby Crabapple » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:13 pm

We did a side trip to Bay of Fundy ~10 yrs ago on our way to vacationing in Newfoundland. We really liked this area of New Brunswick and I've always wanted to come back. This summer we did it, exploring the St. Martin's area, as well as Alma and Fundy National Park. Bay of Fundy has the highest tides in the world, with typical depth change ranging from 35-45 ft, with highest recorded being 55 ft. Also was my first distance road trip with my Prolite Suite, which we just loved. What a perfect little camper for us!!!

Crabapple
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Bay of Fundy, NB Canada

Postby KCStudly » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:09 pm

Nice! Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup: :applause:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Bay of Fundy, NB Canada

Postby inthewoods » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:55 pm

11 years ago my wife and I made virtually the same trip! We loved it. The Bay of Fundy area was a great treat to see. I have some photos that were taken the exact same spots as some you shared. Thanks for sharing. It brought back some great memories of our trip and the tent camping we did.
inthewoods
Teardrop Master

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:51 am

Thanks for sharing, now we will add it to our to do camp list.
How do you like the Crosstrek for towing and is the the CVT or Manual?
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Crabapple » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:31 am

Shadow Catcher wrote:Thanks for sharing, now we will add it to our to do camp list.
How do you like the Crosstrek for towing and is the the CVT or Manual?

I really like the Crosstrek, and it tows my Suite just fine. I like rowing my own gears so do have the MT, can't comment on the CVT.
The Suite is very light, factory spec on it empty (without battery etc) is ~ 550 lb. Its also same width as car so that helps. The Crosstrek is rated for 1000 lb unbraked or 1500 lb for braked trailer.
Along south shore through Quebec it is pretty flat and I was getting 9.3 L/100K consistently doing between 102-108 KPH. If I drove like grampa I could probably get down between 8-9 with this setup. In New Brunswick which is very hilly and speed limit is higher I was beween 11-12 L/100K doing 113-118 KPH. If I was really honking it (125+) it would go up to 13 L/100K. As you see I also had 2 mtbikes up on the roof.

btw...I drove for 14 hrs one day coming home and I was perfectly comfy all day in the Crosstrek. I can't say that about some vehicles I have owned, I had a Honda once in which 3 hrs was my absolute limit and after that I would walk away screaming!!!
Crabapple
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jonnyo » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:48 pm

very nice!!!! i love that little prolite suite!!! and so light!!!!

i also use my crosstrek but here in BC. I did a 2000km trip into the rockies mountain and it pulls amazingly. I would say the CVT might be even easier as you always have the perfect gear/torque to tow. my teardrop #1 is 750lbs loaded so i can drive 100-120 easily even in mountain and if you stick to 100km/h, i do get milage in the same range as you....

i m almost done my second trailer and cant wait to give it a shot. it will be in the limit of the crosstrek near 1200lbs perhaps. I also have a subaru forester manual so that as more power if needed!
jonnyo
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:24 pm

Beautiful pictures! You two are quite active; and, as such, will thoroughly enjoy the teardropping experience.
Thanks for sharing! :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Crabapple » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:52 pm

S. Heisley wrote:Beautiful pictures! You two are quite active; and, as such, will thoroughly enjoy the teardropping experience.
Thanks for sharing! :applause:

Thanks Sharon! We come from a lifetime of canoe tripping/backcountry camping whereby everything required is paddled and portaged...so TD & TT camping is luxury for us! BTW, one mtbike ride out from Wolfe Point to Goose River Cove had multiple elevation changes of 280 meters per my GPS (...that's almost 1000 ft) up and down each time and 13.5 K return. But we knew that going in because we did the same ride 10 yrs ago. Reason for redoing is there is a cove at the end that we think is just magical...even spiritual feeling that just doesn't really come across in photos. I'm 62 and Bonnie is 60 and it nearly killed us but fun non-the-less. I told Bonnie to enjoy to the fullest because we won't be back in another 10 to repeat!!!...LOL!
Crabapple
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales