Sleepin Around New Zealand: First Trip and More!

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Re: Sleepin Around New Zealand: First Trip and More!

Postby dales133 » Tue May 26, 2015 6:26 am

Hey
! We drive on the right side of the road! Isn't that why your cars are called left hand drive :)
Took me a while to not walk out in front of cars on left hand drive roads :)
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Tue May 26, 2015 7:01 pm

dales133 wrote:Took me a while to not walk out in front of cars on left hand drive roads...

So true. You just don't realize how subconscious your awareness of traffic is ingrained until you are nearly hit by a bus.

Think about it. At a very early age (here in the states at least) we are taught to look left, then right, then left again before crossing the street or turning across traffic. There's a reason the near side traffic flow is a priority in or subconscious.

Now stand near the edge of the road with your back to the traffic for a few minutes not really paying too much attention. When that bus comes whizzing by inches from the curb it will get your attention quick how unaware you were that it came from the "wrong" direction.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Sheddie » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:00 am

A couple of weekends back we went for a day trip, with our local car club, up around the Hokianga. This is the area where both our mothers and their families came from. Dale was born and raised in Auckland and did not know a lot about her mothers family. I have always lived in Whangarei and when we first met we did not know of the Hokianga connection.
We met with the rest of the car club members in Kamo, then headed off in convoy travelling up SH1 to Okaihau where we turned off to take the more scenic route.
First stop was at the Horeke Tavern for morning tea and scones with jam and cream. Horeke is a small settlement on the waters edge in the upper reaches of the Hokianga Harbour. The tavern is an old Kauri building with the inside having Kauri panels and large exposed Kauri beams. The walls are decorated with large photos of the early years when the Kauri trees were being cut for milling, ship building and export.
Car park at the Horeke Tavern.
After morning tea, while the others went to visit the Mangungu Mission House,http://www.hokianga.net.nz/hokianga/horeke/mangungu.htm
we made a short detour to the Lawn Cemetery at Umawera, where our Grand Parents are buried. Our Grandfathers are buried about 20 feet apart. Umawrea consists of a primary school and surrounding farms. This is the school that my Mum and her brothers and sisters went to along with Dales uncles and aunts.
Further up SH1, at Mungamuka Bridge, we turned off to head to Kohukohu for lunch at the tavern.
The War Memorial at Kohukohu
From Kohukohu we drove to the ferry landing at The Narrows to catch the car ferry across the Hokianga Harbour to Rawene.
From here we drove through Kaikohe and on to home.
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dales133 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:24 am

Nice trip, great country up there.
My beloved german shepard/Rhodesian ridgeback cross I had for 16 years I got in mungamuka at the local dairy after a 21st at the marae
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:56 am

One of my favorite classes in anthropology was in dialects of English i.e. what do you call it, a sofa, davenport couch... Adding Lawn Cemetery (made for some interesting speculation as our lawn has died a couple of times) was fun. Again thanks for sharing.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Sheddie » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:52 pm

Hi Shadow, yes the English language has a lot of amusing variations. Even in a country as small as New Zealand we get different words used for the same thing. For example in the North Island a seaside holiday home is a "Bach" (pronounced batch), in the South Island it is a "Crib". You may see from the photo that there are no head stones in the cemetery, instead there are bronze plaques set flush on the ground. For one thing it makes it easier for one of the local farmers to bring his tractor in with a mower on it to mow the "Lawn".
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:38 pm

:thumbsup:

"Small world" in an isolated country came to mind when you described the proximity of the family gravestones. To put it into perspective for my fellow Americans, NZ has a landmass similar to Michigan except it is stretched out over two islands with latitude extremes about equal to San Diego, California, to Salem, Oregon if you flipped it up with the crease on the equator.

Thanks again Sheddie for continuing to share your wonderful country and adventures. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby pchast » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:50 pm

Just beautiful. Pieces of history too.
:D
Thanks Frank.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Sheddie » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:52 am

Capri Car Club NZ AGM Hamilton.
Queens Birthday Weekend 29th May - 1st June 2015.

For us in NZ, Queens Birthday Weekend, marks the end of autumn and the beginning of winter. For us personally it means Capri Club NZ AGM. This time in Hamilton, 300kms south from here. :woohoo: Another excuse to hook the TD to the back of one of the Capris and go away for the weekend :D We headed off Friday morning with the first stop that Dale was wanting to make was at Sheep World, just north of Warkworth, to look at sheepskin boots. The five minute stop got stretched out to about half an hour when the old guy that runs the camp ground there came rushing out to check out this little caravan. He was telling me about the boat he had just built and insisted I go take a look. I am glad I did, I've not seen one quite like that before. It is a trailer boat without a trailer.
About 17ft long of his own design. The removable draw bar stuck out the front like the torpedo on a large ship.
Part way down the side, the hull bulged out to house the retractable undercarriage. He cranks them up and down with a cordless drill, although they don't take much cranking up as once it is in the water the wheels float up them selves.