Sleepin Around New Zealand: First Trip and More!

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Re: Sleepin Around New Zealand: First Trip and More!

Postby mrwall1 » Sun May 10, 2015 9:37 pm

Wow! all I can say is amazing! no wonder my wife wants to go so bad!!
my Old Teardrop build journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=59792
My New 7x16 Continental V Nose Build
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=67734
My Photobucket Link to 7x16 V nose build
http://s20.photobucket.com/user/mrwall/ ... %20Trailer
Mike
mrwall1
Teardrop Master

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon May 11, 2015 5:41 am

Again, thanks for sharing your country and camping experiences.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Sheddie » Mon May 11, 2015 6:07 am

Hi guys. Thanks for looking in, I am glad to hear you are enjoying my travel reports. :thumbsup: I have been enjoying putting them together.
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Sheddie » Sat May 16, 2015 11:39 pm

ANZAC Weekend Tour, Coromandel Peninsular.
With the Classic and Sports Car Club Northland. 24th - 27th April 2015. (Day 2). 

It was grey and overcast this morning as we headed off around the bottom of the Firth of Thames for our first stop at Matatoki Cheese Barn, for morning tea.
The owner, who is also cheese maker, told us all about the their cheeses and the other related products.
Les was excited as he thought he had found a spare wheel for the A30.
We had a selection of their organic cheeses to sample with our cuppa :coffee:
ImageImage
We then had a look around the old crap, oops! I mean the memorabilia decorating the place, I liked the drill press and the old saw, I think I saw KC using a saw like this recently.
We checked out the live stock, then headed off to Thames and on up the peninsular.
The Coromandel Peninsular is a mountainous area, with a large amount of it covered in forrest.
Looking north there was rain all around, but fortunately the front was moving ahead of us and we were just getting the remaining showers, although some were quite heavy. :rainy:
The road follows along the shoreline most of the way and is quite narrow as it twists in and around the rocky coast between the water and the mountains.
Any areas where there was enough space baches had been built, often stuck to the sides of the hills.
There were a lot of people perched on the rocky outcrops fishing and large numbers of boats out fishing in the gulf. Many of them fishing around the mussel farms.
The narrow twisty road is bad enough now, but when I think back almost 50 years when my dad drove us up there in his 1954 Humber Super Snipe with the 15 ft caravan and the 13 ft boat behind that.
The road was gravel back then and the car had no niceties like power steering or auto transmission. Dad always said it was the nicest tractor he had driven. Note the colour scheme on the car and caravan, Dad had the car painted to match the caravan.

When we reached Tapu, we headed inland a few kms to visit a garden full of sculptures.
(Sorry Dale, we didn't get any photos of your old family bach as it was raining again as we went through there, and by the time we came back out again the camera battery was flat. I couldn't see the old tram car out the back as there are lots of trees all around. I had seen what looked like the tram on google maps).
We reached the driveway in to the gardens, :shock: steep and narrow as it wound through the bush.
The rain stayed away while we went off for a walk through the bush tracks. There are sculptures all over the place along side the track
ImageImage
Then it opens out to a lawn with more sculptures placed around. (More photos in my gallery).
When it was time to leave, one of the other cars went down the drive first to make sure no one else was coming up. It would have been a problem if we met up with someone else, as we headed down with the camper in tow.
The road back go the main road was only one lane in places, so had to keep a good eye out for approaching traffic.
We headed on to Coromandel township, where the information centre had set aside an area in the main street for us to display the cars, while we went to have lunch.
Last edited by Sheddie on Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby pchast » Sun May 17, 2015 9:28 pm

Verrry nice! :D

Thanks for the pictures Frank.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Sheddie » Mon May 18, 2015 5:37 am

You are most welcome Pete.
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Mon May 18, 2015 6:31 am

Lovely trip. That saw looks like it may still work just fine! :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Sheddie » Mon May 18, 2015 2:05 pm

And it would save you having to go to the gym ;)
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Sheddie » Thu May 21, 2015 6:00 pm

ANZAC Weekend Tour, Coromandel Peninsular.
With the Classic and Sports Car Club Northland. 24th - 27th April 2015. (Day 2, continued).

After lunch we took the TD over the hill to leave it at the Shelly Beach motor camp, then back to meet up with the rest of our group at the Driving Creek Railway.
What a fascinating place! Rather than me trying to explain all about it, check their website. http://www.drivingcreekrailway.co.nz/
But the short explication of its creation is, artist Barry Brickell was wanting a way to get the suitable clay for his pottery down from the hills. His method was to build a narrow gauge rail track, then his bank manager said you need to start taking people for a ride on that thing (something to do with overdraft reduction), and it all grew from there.

This is the station at the bottom. From here the two trains climb the hill, through tunnels and over bridges changing direction over the switch backs to the end of the line at the "Eyefull Tower".
Here we have just gone through one of the switch backs as the second train approaches it.
The driver has just switched the points and swaps ends of the train for driving.
Beautiful glass eel.
The view from the Eyefull Tower is spectacular.
On the way back down, this is one of the platforms that the train drives out onto for the switch backs.
This is a wall of wine bottles. Not easy to get a photo of. They must have had some pretty good parties when they were building this place. :tipsy:
The tracks go back over the same bridge as you change direction on the switch backs.
The trains back in the station. With 16 wheel drive, it gives them the ability to climb the steeper parts that most trains would not have traction on :thumbsup:
Day Three
The rest of our group were going to the Water Works this morning. As we had been there in February we were able to have a more relaxed morning before packing up to travel across the peninsular to Whitianga and Cooks Beach.
These people thought they had the smallest caravan in the camp, but then we arrived. They were quite amazed at what can fit in such a small package.
There was a good selection of small and collapsible caravans in the camp.
We took the dogs for a walk around the camp and down to the beach. Unfortunately the tide was out.
A group of baches sitting on the waters edge on the other side of the bay. What an ideal spot for a holiday.
Pohutukawa trees will grow anywhere.
All packed and ready to move on. This is a really nice camp with top facilities.
We caught up with one of our group at Buffalo beach, then headed in to Whitianga for lunch.
No more photos for the rest of the trip. We spent the night at the Cooks beach camp ground. Another really nicely set up camp, with hedges between a lot of the camp sites which gave us good shelter from the storm that came up through the night. The next morning we packed up between drizzly showers and caught up with the rest of the group at Hahei. The plan was to travel through the Hunua Ranges to avoid the traffic on the main roads, and stop for lunch at the Hunua Falls. By the time we got to Hunua township the rain was torrential so we gave up on that idea and headed for home. Despite the rain it was a nice drive through a road I have not been. Another fantastic weekend in our Tear Drop with our classic cars, enjoying our great little country. :vroom:
Last edited by Sheddie on Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Thu May 21, 2015 7:33 pm

A virtual paradise. I want to ride on the little train! :D
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Sheddie » Sat May 23, 2015 12:29 am

KCStudly wrote:A virtual paradise. I want to ride on the little train! :D

With your engineering mind you would love the train and all the work that went in to constructing the track with its bridges and tunnels. The bush and scenery are outstanding. They are putting a lot of work in to regeneration of the native bush and encouraging the bird life to repopulate. When Barry dies he has picked out a plot on the property to be buried and the property will be gifted to the nation.
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Sat May 23, 2015 7:54 pm

After checking out the website, I firmly believe that it will be a national treasure. :thumbsup:

Wish it had been up and running when I was there in '82.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Sheddie » Sun May 24, 2015 3:52 am

You will have to take a trip down here again. :D
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sun May 24, 2015 9:35 am

Sheddie:

Fascinating touring. But your driving on the wrong side of the road scares me. Scares me bad. :?

You ever see other teardrops over there?

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Sheddie » Tue May 26, 2015 6:12 am

tony.latham wrote:Sheddie:
Fascinating touring. But your driving on the wrong side of the road scares me. Scares me bad. :? Tony

That's strange, I have never had a problem with it my self. :)
tony.latham wrote:Sheddie:You ever see other teardrops over there?Tony

We don't see them very often. We have caught up with Bantam a couple of times. Twice, when driving from Whangarei to Auckland with ours in tow we have passed one going the other way. We have seen a couple of others travelling around Whangarei. There are at least 4 in this area, one being trailtroll who has a build journal going.
I have found around thirty registered on this site, but not many of them are active.
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales