Black Hills 2015 ...

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Black Hills 2015 ...

Postby Bobcape » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:04 am

Black Hills National Forest is my backyard essentially. In the spring I'm usually itching for the snow to melt so I can start camping again. We don't have much snow left this year. I got out the first weekend in April. Heading out again this weekend.

Sunrise. 31 degrees and no wind.

Found a nice "fixer-upper".

Bob
Bobcape
Teardrop Builder

Re: Black Hills 2015 ...

Postby lrrowe » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:05 am

Fantastic backyard!
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Bobcape » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:06 am

For some reason this site crops my photos I post from photobucket. Sorry

Bob
Bobcape
Teardrop Builder

Postby Bobcape » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:15 am

The elk are showing up in their normal places. I hope to find a bunch this weekend.

Bob
Bobcape
Teardrop Builder

Postby KCStudly » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:58 pm

Nice! Thanks for posting. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Black Hills 2015 ...

Postby funengineer » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:08 pm

The Black Hills were one of, if not the best camping vacations we ever had. Thanks for the beautiful pictures. Rafter-J-Bar campground served as our home base.
funengineer
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Greg Barrick » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:51 pm

Love your "back yard"! Great pics. Really cool camper, too. :
Greg Barrick
Teardrop Advisor

Postby 39Ratrod » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:54 am

AWESOME!! Glad to see I'm not the only one willing to brave the chilly spring temps. Looks like a great spot you have there. The Black Hills are beautiful. Finally made it to Devils Tower last summer, lived in Wyoming since '78 or '79, that place is very cool.
The biggest difference between a dreamer and a doer is the follow through.
39Ratrod
Teardrop Master

Postby minstrel » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:58 pm

Love the pictures! I lived in the Black Hills for 7 years and have reservations for July at Stockade Lake in Custer State Park. Wonderful place....just want to get in and out before the Sturgis Rally starts. It's the 75th year and they are expecting 1,000,000 people this year instead of the usual 600,000 to 800,000! Crazy!! :?
Liz
minstrel
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bart » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:04 pm

Minstrel, it's never to get a black leather halter top and go to the rally :D
The rally really does put a demand on services all around that area.
bart
Teardrop Builder

Postby minstrel » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:40 pm

I don't know .....some of those girls don't get the leather halter tops...they just have them painted on and pretend they are wearing something!! :lol:
Liz
minstrel
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Kevin & Sandy » Tue May 12, 2015 3:12 pm

We plan on heading there for the Crazy Horse VolksMarch June 6th and see what that is all about.

How necessary is it to get reservations to camp in the Custer State Park and surrounding areas that time of year?
Kevin & Sandy
The 300 Club

Postby minstrel » Tue May 12, 2015 10:56 pm

I've not done a lot of camping in the Hills, but here is what I know (or think I know!) June is not as busy of a month as July....it can be quite cool and rainy in June. Saying that, we found weekends were usually pretty full. If you are going on a week day you will have better luck just slipping in. If you know your dates, I'd go ahead and book. The Crazy Horse Volksmarch is very popular.....but I think a lot of the people who go are local.
Have fun.....stop by the Prairie Berry Winery in Hill City....fun wines and interesting paninis.
Liz
minstrel
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GerryS » Thu May 14, 2015 5:20 am

We were just there last year....what a great destination! Custer park is fantastic!

We stayed at the campground right by the lodge, 300 feet from the beginning of needles highway. Their camping locations are quite small compared to the ones I'm accustomed too....but there are more of them. The grounds, the sites (pad?) was about the same. We might have 150 sites in one spot. The camping area there had 25 sites. So, I definitely would recommend reservations. If the one you want is filled, you may have a considerable drive only to find it too is filled.

See Rushmore first....then crazy horse. Rushmore is quite impressive, don't get me wrong, but Rushmore will fit in the hair of crazy horse. Crazy horse is magnitudes larger, and left me in a state of amazement and awe. Had I seen it first, Rushmore would have been anticlimactic. Also remember that even today, crazy horse is 100% privately funded....no tax dollars have been spent on it...not a penny. The restaurant and gift shop is quite reasonably priced and good as well.

In Custer (20 minute from the campground we were at) is a cute town. 1 grocery store. Prices weren't terrible, surprisingly, When we were in mackinaw Michigan the prices were 20% to 50% higher...like shopping at a 7/11...not the case in Custer.

If you are coming from the east, you must stop at Wall Drug. You might have a hard time finding it, they don't have many signs :). The restaurant inside is was surprisingly good. Biscuits and gravy ... Best I've had. Donuts, they spoiled me. The ice water is still free :). For the record, I can't find a cake donut near me anywhere near as good as theirs. Damn, now I want one.

If you plan (and you should) to visit badlands park, go through the park, but just before the exit there is a back road. It has a magic to it as well. Look up the wild horse bands on the Internet....then see if you can find them while you are there. My wife has been following 1 mare and the band she is with....amazingly we found her, 30 feet off the road. Very cool.

Sturgis is a waste of gasoline except for one local diner...nostalgic, cheap and tasty. Again, can't remember the name. We just stumbled on it. Is 1 block off the Main Street, the business district downtown. Cash only as I remember.

Devils tower is a couple hours away, but also a must see. We made it the last stop before we came home. We stayed at a small private campground in Sundance. Wasn't bad. But remember the town rolls up the sidewalks at 5. Don't expect much there, it's a sleepy town. But look for the Longhorn Saloon...best burger I've had Ina long time. I'd go there again if I pass through the area! If I go to Devils tower again, , and we will, I'd definitely stay at the KOA which is literally next to the park. Take a copy of close encounters with you.

We spent 6 days in the badlands and surrounding area....and loved every day of it. Elevations are much higher than we are used too (we are at 670, most of the places were at 5000. We had no problems but I wasn't taking a bike or running anywhere either. What an Amazing destination!
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Kevin & Sandy » Fri May 15, 2015 7:35 am

THANKS for the info GerryS and Liz !!

I better do some planning !!

I have been there many years ago, we did not have a teardrop at the time, so we were at the mercy of overpriced hotels that were mostly full.

I guess I did find one interesting thing in Sturgis, the Motorcycle Museum had a 1916 Harley, just like the one my Granddad had when he was a young man.
He used to talk about how glad he was he learned to ride, because when he went to basic training during WW1, he got in the Motorcycle Corps, he thought
it wasnt nearly as dangerous duty as what some of the guys went through.

I will put Devils Tower on the list of Must See's.
Kevin & Sandy
The 300 Club

Next

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales