Utah Bound

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Utah Bound

Postby rockinrobin » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:58 pm

I am taking a trip around Sept 2nd, West across New Mexico on I40 to Winslow AZ, then North through Monument Valley, to Moab. Four nights at a commercial campground in Moab. Check out the National Parks there, then over to Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park for a night or two, then down through CO. maybe stop at Durango, then back home to West Texas on the 13th.
Does any one have any must see sights, or cool places to stay along that route they would like to share.
Or if any one would like to join up for all or part of the trip, they are welcome. Ronnie
" It's all good"
rockinrobin
Titanium Donating Member

Re: Utah Bound

Postby daveesl77 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:29 pm

Moki Dugway and Muley Point. Near Bluff, UT. Also, you can spend the night in the Valley of the Gods near Mexican Hat. If you get a spot at Muley Point, the views are amazing. At Valley, it is all amazing. It is also all free! It is BLM land. Remember, take out what you took in. Look up various vids on youtube on all these places.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby rockinrobin » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:43 am

daveesl77 wrote:Moki Dugway and Muley Point. Near Bluff, UT. Also, you can spend the night in the Valley of the Gods near Mexican Hat. If you get a spot at Muley Point, the views are amazing. At Valley, it is all amazing. It is also all free! It is BLM land. Remember, take out what you took in. Look up various vids on youtube on all these places.

dave

Thanks, I will check it out :thumbsup: Ronnie
" It's all good"
rockinrobin
Titanium Donating Member

Postby daveesl77 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:40 am

Now I've paid more attention to your route, so here are a few more ideas. If your camper can do a few days without major hookups, then in SE Utah/SW Colorado border you'll find Hovenweep. The ruins are magnificient. On the Bluff thing, at Bluff, not far off the road are over 2,000 petroglyphs.

Near Moab there are tons of BLM camping areas, but a State park you should at least visit (if not spend a night) is Dead Horse Point.

When coming back, look about 50 miles south of Farmington, NM and you'll find Chaco Nat'l Cultural Park. It is down a 20+ mile long, washboard road. You must bring EVERYTHING you need/want with you as the only thing avail there is 5 gals of water per day. If you forget something, closest convenience store is a 60 mile round trip. There are about 25 campsites. It is one of the most important cultural/historical sites in the world, seldom visited but the campground is often full or close. You'll never regret it.

dave

daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby Redneck Teepee » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:02 am

If you can side track a little off your intended route, the Painted Desert is a site to see for sure. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby rockinrobin » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:30 pm

Awesome! Thanks! I just finished reading a non-fiction called "Dead Run". Amazing story about three guys who stole a water truck in Cortez, killed a Police Officer, then escaped in to the desert in that area around Hovenweep where they had guns, and supply's stashed. Glad they did not finish out their plan to blow up a big dam!
" It's all good"
rockinrobin
Titanium Donating Member

Postby rockinrobin » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:59 pm

daveesl77 wrote:Now I've paid more attention to your route, so here are a few more ideas. If your camper can do a few days without major hookups, then in SE Utah/SW Colorado border you'll find Hovenweep. The ruins are magnificient. On the Bluff thing, at Bluff, not far off the road are over 2,000 petroglyphs.

Near Moab there are tons of BLM camping areas, but a State park you should at least visit (if not spend a night) is Dead Horse Point.

When coming back, look about 50 miles south of Farmington, NM and you'll find Chaco Nat'l Cultural Park. It is down a 20+ mile long, washboard road. You must bring EVERYTHING you need/want with you as the only thing avail there is 5 gals of water per day. If you forget something, closest convenience store is a 60 mile round trip. There are about 25 campsites. It is one of the most important cultural/historical sites in the world, seldom visited but the campground is often full or close. You'll never regret it.

dave
. Thanks for the info! Chaco Canyon has been on my list for a while. :thinking: maybe this trip :thinking:
" It's all good"
rockinrobin
Titanium Donating Member

Postby MtnDon » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:51 pm

Canyon de Chelly National Monument, near Chinle, AZ is worth a stop.

Hwy 95 from Hite to Blanding is a favorite area of mine. Not too many people about. Nice. sort of hidden boondocking spot off north side of highway about 1/4 mile west of the driveway to the old Fry Canyon Store.

Also nice boondocking in the Comb Wash area along Hwy 95. Just west of Comb Ridge.

There are many old, unmarked Indian Ruins in the area. Some googling before leaving should find some directions to locations.

Beef Basin, south of Canyonlands National Park has opportunities for boondock camping. There is a back way into the park from Beef Basin that takes you over the Elephant Hill 4x4 trail and hooks up with the paved road 211 in the park.. Access off road 211 that goes to Canyonlands Needles district. Take 107 into BB. BB does not usually need 4x4 but EH does for certain.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby rockinrobin » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:55 pm

daveesl77 wrote:Moki Dugway and Muley Point. Near Bluff, UT. Also, you can spend the night in the Valley of the Gods near Mexican Hat. If you get a spot at Muley Point, the views are amazing. At Valley, it is all amazing. It is also all free! It is BLM land. Remember, take out what you took in. Look up various vids on youtube on all these places.

dave

Will my 2 W drive Tacoma and 10 foot Silver Shadow be OK on Moki Dugway? Thanks Ronnie :thinking:
" It's all good"
rockinrobin
Titanium Donating Member

Postby capnTelescope » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:22 pm

Meteor Crater is only 20-25 miles west of Winslow. It's worth taking a look over the edge and wondering, "Where'd all the dirt go?" :scratchthinking: I expected to see big boulders strewn all around the crater, but no. You'll kill an hour or two at the most. It's a "see once" kind of thing. Privately owned, admission charge.
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby rockinrobin » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:31 pm

135549. All packed and ready to go! Grab a few hours of sleep, then on the road at 3:30 or 4 in the morning. I40 across New Mexico. Homolovi State Park at Winslow Az tomorrow night then North through Monument Valley. Good Bye work for a few days. Vacation Time!!!
" It's all good"
rockinrobin
Titanium Donating Member

Postby daveesl77 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:44 pm

Rockin, just saw your post and yes a 2wd will do fine on Moki Dugway and up to Muley Point, unless there has been a lot of rain. People do it in sports cars and motorcycles (like Goldwings) and RVs.

If you go to Chaco, be certain everything is secure in your trailer, the washboard road is pretty rough. I've tried it both slow and fast (10mph and 40mph), to be honest, fast worked better for me, but I had literally put everything on the floor before I left and even then lots of stuff still fell. The trick on a washboard is to try to find the "harmonic", the speed where the tire bounce kind of matches the washboard.

dave

daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby rockinrobin » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:22 pm

Arrived at Homolovi State Park about three local time. That is all the driving I want for one day! Nice quiet place. Older but clean facility's . Two other tear drops here tonight. An off road looking Little Guy, and a T@B. Interesting ruins here of a large Indian Pueblo from many years ago. Pottery shards laying every where. You are on the honer system to not pick them up. Thanks for the advice Dave. I may try Moki Dugway tomorrow. I am going to Natural Bridges tomorrow, and Moki is right on the way. It did rain here this afternoon, but not that much. Ronnie
" It's all good"
rockinrobin
Titanium Donating Member

Postby rockinrobin » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:38 pm

Monument Valley. I had seen it from the air. But from the ground one of the most Awesome sights I have ever seen!
Took the short way to Natural Bridges National Monument up Moki Dugway. No Problem. The road was I a bit rough in spots.
Bridges is a really cool place with nice staff, and a nice campground. They do not do reservations. No water or electric at the camp sites. Lots of really nice hiking. Plan on all day if you are going to hike to all the Bridges.

Spent the night last night at a random campground just North of Blanding Utah. Real pretty place. The campground was mostly occupied by off roaders. Apparently it is a jump off place to the back country trails. Nice quiet night.

I am at the KOA in Moab now. Holiday Weekend. A little crowded. Real nice facility's. Tomorrow Canyon Lands National Park.
" It's all good"
rockinrobin
Titanium Donating Member

Postby rockinrobin » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:16 pm

Spent all day at Canyonlands National Park.135633
Every where you look there is spectacular views! Pretty impressive for a boy from the West Texas flatlands! Lots of hiking if you want it.

Four wheeling anyone? There are more Jeeps and off road type vehicles here than any where I have ever been.

I am sure every one knows about the National Parks and Monuments Senior Pass. In case you do not. When you show it they just wave you in. No fee, and half price camping in most parks. If you buy it in person it is a whopping ten bucks! 20 bucks if you do it by mail like I did. And get this, it is for life!!! It has to be one of the best deals around if you are 62 or older! :applause:
" It's all good"
rockinrobin
Titanium Donating Member

Next

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales