Amicalola Falls State Park/GA

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Amicalola Falls State Park/GA

Postby Grizzz » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:04 am

On Monday I had a rare two days off in a row so I figured I would take the Cozy Cruiser out for the night. It was also perfect because I had a free night to camp and today was the last day I had to use it before it expired. Even though the weather was not looking to be great I was going. My first choice of campgrounds was going to be Red Top Mountain State Park because it is only about a half hour drive and a beautiful campground right on Lake Allatoona. I arrived at the visitors center to find out the park is closed for the next two days because they are having a Quota Hunt. Many years ago the deer herd had gotten so large that they were literally starving to death. So they instituted limited hunting to keep the numbers in check.

So plan B was initiated. Amicalola Falls State Park only has twenty-five spots and I called to make sure I could get in. Didn't think there would be a problem during the week but just wanted to make sure before I started the journey. Matter of fact, there was only one other camper here. When I checked in they let me know that there is a 25% grade to get to the campground. I said no problem, after all I am pulling a teardrop. They warned me once I started up the hill, don't stop. Well I got to say, I don't think I have ever driven up a 25% grade before and I don't think my 4 cylinder RAV4 liked it much but we made it to the top. Now I am sitting here in a foggy, misty night, trying out my new REI Alcove, drinking some fine Bourbon, listening to Eric Clapton and cooking dinner. Life can really be difficult at times. ;)
Attachments
IMG_0646.jpg
IMG_0646.jpg (206.69 KiB) Viewed 1209 times
Grizzz
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Amicalola Falls State Park/GA

Postby Gunguy05 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:37 am

Ha ha! I have been to Amicalola Falls before. That is quite the grade. Glad you made it up there safe and have a good time. Happy camping
Brian

Checkout my buildThe Regal Eagle Bow front for 4
Also my teardrop updates from blog on Dad Rambles
Gunguy05
The 300 Club

Postby KCStudly » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:59 pm

Grizzz wrote:Now I am sitting here in a foggy, misty night, trying out my new REI Alcove, drinking some fine Bourbon, listening to Eric Clapton and cooking dinner. Life can really be difficult at times. ;)

Yeah it's rough sometimes when everything just sort of slows down like that and you are forced to relax, sit back and contemplate what ever thoughts your mind wanders off to, enjoying the wonder of nature... enhanced by that fine Bourbon... must be rough. :lol:

Never mind the weather, you had all that you needed to zone out in your own little frame of mind. Nice. :thumbsup:
Last edited by KCStudly on Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby lrrowe » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:22 am

I am envious. I want to get my CT to the point that on a whim, I can go off and do what you did. There are times when doing things like this alone are priceless.

Thanks for sharing such a simple but rewarding trip.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Grizzz » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:32 pm

That is one of the reasons I love my TD. Tent camping most of the time was not something I would do on short notice. To much of a problem to set up, then take down and let air out to dry. Shoot, I don't even have to go unhook for the night. Just looking forward to my next two days off in a row.
Grizzz
Teardrop Inspector

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:55 pm

Thanks for sharing your experience and pictures. Your teardrop is a beauty! :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales