6k miles

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

6k miles

Postby hpuckett4 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:07 am

Hey guys, I just finished my trailer build this spring and am taking it on its first long trip- an ambitious trip from Des Moines to the Grand Canyon, San Diego, then all the way up the PCH to Seattle and back to Des Moines.

Basically just crossing my fingers that my car doesn't break down, and we will be figuring out most of our camping accommodations on the fly.

My brother lives in LA, so he will be with us for that area, but if anyone that sees this has camping suggestions, tips, or things we need to see along the highway, they would be appreciated.

Again, fingers crossed that nothing goes wrong, but I'm planning that something definitely will. We leave Des Moines this Tuesday, and need to be back by July 18. That's really the only parameter.

Most importantly, I am putting my trailer up for sale after this trip. However, if there is anyone on the west coast or along the general route that would be interested in taking a peek and maybe placing a bid, I could let it go while we are out there and just camp in tents on the way back. My build journal is on this site, and I can post a link so you can see more.

But wish me luck, and I'll try to post every now and then while we're on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hpuckett4
Teardrop Builder

Re: 6k miles

Postby Old Rookie » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:41 pm

WOW! That's some kind of maiden trip. Safe travels and have a great time. Oh yeah, take lots of :pictures:
Ken & Ruth
Okies from Muskogee
Old Rookie
Donating Member

Postby troubleScottie » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:49 pm

Definitely a time crunch. You have at least 7 to 9 days of hard driving (over 10 hours per day) just to cover the route. More if you take the scenic route eg PCH.

Remember the PCH is beautiful if you are the lead car. But following a 36' motor home, you might as well be in downtown Chicago.

Seattle is quite pretty right now. Lots of green, less rainy, dusk is around 9 PM, hopefully the mountains will be out ie Ranier, Baker and St Helens. Unfortunately the main north-south road (I-5) is far from the coast and not really close to the mountains or national forests. IMHO your west-east leg (most likely I-90) will be a bit more scenic.

Good luck on the journey.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby hpuckett4 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:29 pm

Thanks everyone! I'm at the Grand Canyon right now. On the first day, I pushed it over 900 miles, and ended the day when the engine started smoking in the desert of southern Colorado. Just camped in a rest stop.

The next day we took it easier, stopped frequently to let the engine cool down, but the high temperatures in the desert were cooking us in the car. We made it to a great campsite at a lake in western New Mexico, blue water state park. We camped on the beach and it was much better than the rest stop, there was also tons of crawfish to catch.

Yesterday we drove to the Grand Canyon and camped at ten-x. It was quiet, cool, and one of the only places we could have a fire. The sunset at the canyon included a passing rain storm, a rainbow, and a sky of orange.

Today we are going halfway to LA, then sleeping at a truck stop. But first, we are grabbing a huge meal at a cafe.

So far everything is going amazing! Lots of cool people commenting on the trailer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hpuckett4
Teardrop Builder

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales