Hatch! the Chili Festival is coming

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Hatch! the Chili Festival is coming

Postby noseoil » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:33 am

First weekend in September is the Hatch Chili Festival for anyone in west Texas, New Mexico, Colorado or Arizona. We're planning on going, but don't have an area staked out yet for camping. Looks like there's a fair amount of sites in the area, but we need to check on it. I've wanted to go now for a few years, so this should be a fun trip for us. It's just a few hours east from Tucson on I-10. Will report back & post a few pictures when we go.

These are the peqin peppers we grow here. They're good, but about 40X hotter than a Jalapeno, so a bit warm to eat for me. Great for cooking & in fresh guacamole. Our neighbor brought us the seeds from Mexico where they live (Guadalajara).

http://www.hatchchilefest.com/
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Hatch! the Chili Festival is coming

Postby noseoil » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:14 am

Got a reservation at the Arrey RV Park, about 20 miles north of Hatch. Their number is 866-267-1049. Should be a fun weekend coming up with lots of burn & plenty to see & do.
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby pohukai » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:49 pm

Yum... CANDY!

I love HOT HOT HOT!
pohukai
Teardrop Master

Postby noseoil » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:14 am

OK, back safely from the long weekend & had a great time. Logged another 800 miles on the truck & camper, so a good trip with plenty to see. The festival takes a small rural town of about 1,000 people & turns the fair grounds into a visitor's destination of about 30,000 people over the weekend. Better to go early & get out before the traffic, parking & roads are completely locked down & gridlocked.

Here's the 2016 Chili Festival queen. A candidate is chosen from the local high school each year to preside over the festivities.

Our first meal was at Sparkys restaurant on Friday afternoon. It was their 1/2# chili cheese burger with fries for me. It's the best burger I have ever eaten, so if you go to Hatch, get in line & try it, unbelievably good food & very rerasonable! About $8.00 for the burger & fries, a steal of a deal considering the portion size & quality.

Blurry burger picture, but you get the idea. We couldn't find a meal that wasn't excellent & fairly priced.

Woman giving a demonstration on making the chili ristras

Face painting for the children

A few ristras in one booth, beautiful colors

A local cowgirl

Rides at the carnival

We went home via the Mimbres river valley & stopped at the hot springs by the Gila Cliff Dwellings again, lots of rain this year & there were wild flowers blooming along the road everywhere we went.

We stayed in the Arrey RV Park for the Chili Festival (20 miles north of Hatch), not a great place, sub-standard bath & shower, full hookups & cheap at $14 a night, but not recommended. Try something different...

In the Gila Hot springs area, the RV park just above the hot springs & across the road is very good at $20 a night. Nice, clean & there's both hot & cold water at each site, thanks to the geo-thermal area, never had that before at a camp site! New Mexico is a great place to travel.

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:26 am

Great pics! (as usual) :thumbsup:

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:21 pm

tony.latham wrote:Great pics! (as usual) :thumbsup:

+1. Very nice, indeed. You really captured some great cameos. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby minstrel » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:45 pm

Great pictures! There is a whole green chili cheeseburger trail in New Mexico. Haven't tried it, but sounds fun. Just search for "green chili cheeseburger trail" and you can get a map off of the website. We have a salsa trail here in AZ that I've done. Lot's of great Mexican food! :R
Liz
minstrel
Teardrop Advisor

Postby noseoil » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:20 am

Still sorting through a few pictures, just a couple more of the FOOD!

Huevos Rancheros

No, we didn't eat them, but they looked very nice

Patty Melt

More burgers!

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales