First trip - Albuquerque to Jemez Mountains, New Mexico

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

First trip - Albuquerque to Jemez Mountains, New Mexico

Postby ChasCABQ » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:16 am

After lots of procrastination and an aborted trip in August, I finally took my teardrop on the road. With a friend following (he was worried I'd break down), I drove from Albuquerque into the nearby Jemez Mountains, home to the Valles Caldera, third largest supervolcano in North America.

My 4-cylinder Subaru Outback easily pulled the trailer which handled like a dream due its sub 900 pound weight. No trouble keeping up with traffic on US 550 at 70 mph and the climb into the mountains was a breeze. We stopped at Soda Dam, a travertine dam across the Jemez River formed by adjacent hot springs.
IMG_20160929_123830685_HDR.jpg
Trailer at Soda Dam
IMG_20160929_123830685_HDR.jpg (203.48 KiB) Viewed 1686 times

After a short drive to the top of Fenton Hill, we took a forest road north until we found a nice secluded campsite. We set up camp and enjoyed a campfire and a starry night before turning in to bed. My friend elected to sleep in the bed of his pickup but didn't sleep well because he forgot a sleeping bag thinking that a couple of blankets would be enough for a cold, Autumn night at 8,000 ft. I was toasty in my teardrop under a down comforted on an 8-inch thick foam mattress. Now that's the way to camp!
IMG_20160930_073651199.jpg
Enjoying a campfire in the mountains
IMG_20160930_073651199.jpg (142.59 KiB) Viewed 1686 times

The next morning I was up at dawn and started a campfire while my friend got in the cab of his truck with the engine and heater running to warm up. After he warmed up, we hung out for awhile before heading back to town.
IMG_20160930_093049878_HDR.jpg
Ready to head home after a great night out
IMG_20160930_093049878_HDR.jpg (225.54 KiB) Viewed 1686 times

Only issue of note was some scratches on the trailer sidewalls where the fenders rubbed, likely due to larger tires that may have pushed the fenders up on the bumpy dirt road from pavement to our camp. After I patch the divots, I'll put a rub plate on and raise the fenders to prevent trouble in the future. I'm looking forward to more adventures with my teardrop.

BTW I started building the trailer almost two years ago in October 2014 while I was performing at-home kidney dialysis. Since I received a kidney transplant in January 2016 my wife admitted she no longer wants to go camping (she is 60 years old and entitled to comfort I agree). I hope my children can also use and enjoy this trailer in the future.
Build journal: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=61303
In 2016, I received a kidney transplant, finished my teardrop, and took it on the road! In 2017 I sold it and am back to car camping.
Thanks to all forum members who provided advice about my build and posted info to help me get started.
ChasCABQ
Donating Member

Re: First trip - Albuquerque to Jemez Mountains, New Mexico

Postby bam1028 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:27 am

Thats inspiring. And an awesome trip. Congrats. My best friend who is 36 is on the kidney transplant list and i will send him the link to this for some inspiration.
bam1028
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ChasCABQ » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:49 am

bam1028 wrote:Thats inspiring. And an awesome trip. Congrats. My best friend who is 36 is on the kidney transplant list and i will send him the link to this for some inspiration.

Good luck to him. I was on the list for four years and did at home peritoneal dialysis for three-and-a-half years. I had many years advance warning due to slow progressing kidney disease. The essentials to my getting and staying on the list were: 1) follow doctor's orders, 2) take prescribed meds, 3) eat the right foods, and 4) exercise! I'm 59 this month and hiked throughout my dialysis period and hike three or more times a week now interspersed with half hour strength training twice a week. I was fortunate to be able to retire at 55 with 30 years service and ample retirement funds socked away due to early diagnosis of my disease (IGA nephropathy) twenty years ago. Most kidney disease sufferers are not so lucky.
Build journal: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=61303
In 2016, I received a kidney transplant, finished my teardrop, and took it on the road! In 2017 I sold it and am back to car camping.
Thanks to all forum members who provided advice about my build and posted info to help me get started.
ChasCABQ
Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:31 pm

Looks like a nice place to go camping. I started my conversion (cargo trailer), not a build in November of 14. Just started using mine to. I had / have health issues but not a kidney transplant. But my cousin has one of her daughters, kidneys. She has had it for about 5 (?) years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby noseoil » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:16 am

Nice write-up about the trailer. Mine took 2 years as well, but as you said, it's worth the effort. We really enjoy travelling through & staying in New Mexico. Lots to see & do there, nice people & great food.

Glad you're back to full renal function. Have a friend in the same boat. He's still good after 14 years & counting on the transplant. Stay hydrated!
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales