Be Aware of Connecticut Parkways

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Be Aware of Connecticut Parkways

Postby Dusty Mark » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:15 pm

As we were (allegedly/hypothetically) driving down the Merritt Parkway in Connecticut, I realized we were the only vehicle towing a trailer...oops! I had Mary Google it and we hastily departed at the next exit. No trailers are allowed on this historic parkway. That explains why there was nowhere to park a trailer at the service plaza. I'm hoping we don't get a ticket in the mail... :oops:
Dusty Mark
Teardrop Master

Re: Be Aware of Connecticut Parkways

Postby John61CT » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:53 pm

Yes no big trucks or even small commercial vehicles either, intended for private passenger vehicles only.

I-95 or 84 usually has better throughput anyway, just not as scenic, love those WPA bridges.

I think was one of the first restricted access highways in the U.S., long before Eisenhower's tank-moving brainstorm. . .
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby featherliteCT1 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:38 pm

Dusty Mark wrote:As we were (allegedly/hypothetically) driving down the Merritt Parkway in Connecticut, I realized we were the only vehicle towing a trailer...oops! I had Mary Google it and we hastily departed at the next exit. No trailers are allowed on this historic parkway. That explains why there was nowhere to park a trailer at the service plaza. I'm hoping we don't get a ticket in the mail... :oops:

Thanks for the warning. I will be pulling a trailer from Indiana through Connecticut next week.
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:35 am

Same applies in NY (...and probably other states?). Parkways are for passenger cars only. Highways, Thruways and Turnpikes are for commercial vehicles.

Some, like the NJ Turnpike near the city, have divided sections (essentially two highways running next to each other) where one set of lanes is intended for cars only, and the other is anything goes.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:38 am

One more thing, double deck bridges, like the GW (George Washington) on I95, only allow vehicles with propane tanks to travel on the upper deck. There will be signs, but pay attention because in heavy traffic (almost always) it can be hard to maneuver in time.

I think the reason they want propane tanks to travel on the upper deck is because in case of an explosion, or fire, there would be less chance of damage to the bridge and other vehicles.
Last edited by KCStudly on Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Dusty Mark » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:55 am

I was lucky on the GW Bridge restriction since I (not purposefully) ended up on the upper deck with my propane tanks.

The northeast certainly was beautiful, but the heavy traffic makes it a "one-time" visit for me. If I visit Maine again, it will be by way of Canada.

We're not guaranteed our next breath. However, Lord willing, our long-range plans include:
2018 = Alaska
2019 = Lots of regional trips (MN, WI, MI, Ontario)
2020 = Northwest
2021 = Alaska
Dusty Mark
Teardrop Master

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:41 pm

Funny you mention the Merrit. A few years ago (2012 i believe) I towed my teardrop from South-Central PA to the TearJerkers Ross Hill gathering in Lisbon, CT. Just followed the good ole GPS. Noticed things were a little "tight" on the Merrit, and traffic really did cruise through the sweeping curves. Made it to the gathering with no problems. Once I got there, I was talking with some people about the drive up, and they asked which route I took.

When I mentioned the Merrit their jaws dropped, and they asked why I would come up that way since trailers aren't allowed. Well, nobody told me trailers weren't allowed and I swear I didn't see any signs.

I guess ignorance really is bliss. :?

I did go another way home. And thinking back, it would have been terrible to get a flat tire, as there really was no place to pull over. Live and learn.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Dusty Mark » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:15 pm

At least it wasn't an education that involved blue lights!
Dusty Mark
Teardrop Master

Postby John61CT » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:21 pm

Yes heavy commuting times the regulars all really cruise, only a few feet between bumpers, as you get toward the Hutchison it's Jersey barriers one foot to your left one foot from the next lane on your right, tight curves at 75-80, really very stressful if you're not used to it.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales