my first cast iron griddle (never had cooked on any before)

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

my first cast iron griddle (never had cooked on any before)

Postby working on it » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:05 pm

• I never quite understood the love, and sometimes obsession, people have for their vintage cast iron, or Coleman stoves & lanterns. I sorta understood the Coleman thing, having loved using my set that Grandma bought for me when I was a Boy Scout. Forty years after I lost my Colemans, I got a new-fangled dual-fuel pair, a stove and a lantern, and like to cook with the white gas stove (after 4 years of having the Northstar lantern, I still haven't put fuel in it yet). But, that's another story for the other guys.
  • Anyway, I had been cooking my Spam and eggs (another obsession, and story) for years using a Ikea Grilla, a square griddle pan with raised ribs, made of aluminum with Teflon coating. I was looking into my camping gear the other day, and saw that my camping grilla was burnt/scorched from letting it sit unattended on my Coleman (trying to boil-away burnt-on residue). I took it inside, to swap out with its' twin (but the wife just tossed it). That left me without a griddle...temporarily; when I was ordering another, I also looked at the cast-iron stuff, on Amazon. I noticed the Lodge square griddle pan, that I had noted previously, had dropped from $26 to $16, so I jumped on it.
  • I remembered the cast-iron skillet my Grandma used for cooking breakfast, always slick and non-stick, while my mother always had a semi-rusty skillet, and switched to Teflon in the '60's. I presume that I'll have to clean my new one like my grandmother, with just a scraper, a hot rinse, no soap, and oil it immediately. My mother used Brillo soap pads, and let it sit dry (no oil). Nothing stuck to Grandma's skillet, which was thrown away by my uncle, so it was not passed down. Nor was my mother's : she threw it out, as a lost cause. So, now I'm the third generation to use one (my wife never had one), and I've already seasoned it twice, and cooked Spam on it once. Altough it came pre-seasoned, I did it again anyway, before I used it.
  • The Spam stuck a little to the raised ribs, but released easily, though I was cooking at 375 degrees on an induction cooktop. My Ikea Grilla, when new, performed about the same, but when more worn, not as well. I cleaned and oiled it afterwards, as did Grandma, so I presume it will age and cook as well, later. I did notice the surface was a lot rougher than her skillet (but hers was 50 years old at the time); it shouldn't matter, I cook on the raised ribs, for the striping, regardless. I'm also not sure how eggs will work in the Lodge...maybe I'll use the Ikea, for that. Just a flirtation with cast-iron; I'll give it a go, and maybe I'll replace my wife's crockpots with cast-iron Dutch ovens, if I like it.
  • Ikea Grilla.PNG
    Ikea Grilla.PNG (169.13 KiB) Viewed 269 times
    Teflon non-stick, my old go-to
  • Lodge Grill Pan.PNG
    Lodge Grill Pan.PNG (198.7 KiB) Viewed 269 times
    my first cast-iron cookware, my future go-to Spam cooker
Green Lantern Corpsmen...("Northstar"/dual fuel splinter group) >
    VEHICLES:
  • '09 HHR Panel 2.2l , '08 Cobalt 2.2l DailyDrivers
  • '66 Chevelle Malibu 7.3l (10.7sec-1/4mi) NostalgiaDragRacer
  • '04 Chevy 2500HD 6.0l TowVehicle
  • '98 GMC 1500 5.7l TowVehicle
    TRAILERS:
  • '99 16ft CarHauler
  • '07 Puma 20ft TravelTrailer
  • '13 "Mechatavismus Minimus 4x8-HHRv" TinyTravelTrailer
working on it
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: my first cast iron griddle (never had cooked on any befo

Postby bobhenry » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:04 am

Do yourself a big favor and find on OLDIE cast iron skillet and a nice little 10 - 12 " dutch oven for camp cooking ( you can use them at home too) A good flea market or even yard sales have wonderful old iron. I personally can not begin to see myself frying eggs in a ribbed skillet. I think it would be very frustrating. I made scrambled eggs topped with cheese yesterday morning for breakfast and when done I was able to wipe out my very old trusty 3 notch lodge chicken fryer with a paper towel. I keep a square Wagner and a shallow unknown skillet and the chicken fryer all at my gal pals and they make each and every meal I cook. I have about 85+ pieces some are in the barn camper, some are in the tail gating trailer some are in the teardrop, some are in the caboose and a bunch are on the wall in the house in a house. I gave the first cast iron cooking seminar in 2011 at the Crossroads of America national gathering. I will be doing it again this summer, hope to see you there !
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
9000 Club
9000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:16 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trowX9DxwVI

Here is a link to the seminar.....
bobhenry
9000 Club
9000 Club

Postby working on it » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:54 am

bobhenry wrote:Do yourself a big favor and find on OLDIE cast iron skillet and a nice little 10 - 12 " dutch oven for camp cooking ( you can use them at home too) A good flea market or even yard sales have wonderful old iron. I personally can not begin to see myself frying eggs in a ribbed skillet....
I haven't been to a flea market in 20 years, and only went to please the wife...I'll look around. If I can't find an old skillet, which brand of new "un-ribbed" skillet would you recommend? Or just get a rough surfaced one (I presume the surface will be rough-like my griddle skillet-when new), and lightly sand it until smooth? And season it first, of course. Or, perhaps the little polycarbonate Lodge grill scrapers would work for scrambled eggs (they fit into the grooves perfectly, at least for cleaning)? I'll try them later on, today, just to see.
Lodge grill scrapers.PNG
Lodge grill scrapers.PNG (212.42 KiB) Viewed 222 times
Green Lantern Corpsmen...("Northstar"/dual fuel splinter group) >
    VEHICLES:
  • '09 HHR Panel 2.2l , '08 Cobalt 2.2l DailyDrivers
  • '66 Chevelle Malibu 7.3l (10.7sec-1/4mi) NostalgiaDragRacer
  • '04 Chevy 2500HD 6.0l TowVehicle
  • '98 GMC 1500 5.7l TowVehicle
    TRAILERS:
  • '99 16ft CarHauler
  • '07 Puma 20ft TravelTrailer
  • '13 "Mechatavismus Minimus 4x8-HHRv" TinyTravelTrailer
working on it
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby wagondude » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:07 pm

If you can find a good dear, the old ones are the way to go. But there is nothing wrong with a new Lodge skillet. Also, after a couple of good seasoning rounds, look up bee's wax seasoning. You won't be sorry.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:37 am

Well if you don't like flea markets there are other avenues to good OLD iron....

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/search/Sea ... wthumbs=on
bobhenry
9000 Club
9000 Club

Return to Cast Iron