cast iron abuse

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

cast iron abuse

Postby bobhenry » Thu May 05, 2016 7:53 am

I have to confess I have been a bad boy. I tend to use my pickup for a rolling tool box/dumpster and with the spring gathering looming up on us I decided to see if there was still a floor in the bed of my truck. An hour later I found it ! A score of 2 extension cords 3 dog leashes 5-6 ratchet straps and 4-5 elastic and rubber hold down straps and 2 very large bags of scrap and crap. I finally came to my biggest sin. It seems I had lost the lid off of my 10" dutch oven on the trip home last fall. My poor forgotten lid ,while some what sheltered by my cross box tool box, has endured winter snows and spring rains for the better part of 6+ months. I was very very ashamed :oops:

While the house in a house still has no running water I did take a few paper towels and some bottled water and wiped it off and was both surprised and relieved that there were only a few tiny rust spots. The bees wax coating I gave it right after cleanup last fall had done its job. :thumbsup:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Re: cast iron abuse

Postby Woodbutcher » Thu May 05, 2016 12:38 pm

SHAME !!! Bob, of all people, not you. That lid needs some love now.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Thu May 05, 2016 1:29 pm

Bacon. It deserves bacon grease. I suggest you get a lb. of thick sliced bacon from your local butcher and fry it all up nice and crispy. Then after making half a dozen BLT sandwiches with plenty of mayo, just slather a goo smear of bacon grease all over that lid... on top of the bee's wax, of course.

But do eat the bacon, yum. :lol:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby logman7777 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:05 pm

Cant do that with a new pan.. Do tha bacon grease seasoning, three woodsman omelets and call it forgiven...lol :thumbsup:
Coleman Keepers 200A Gang
Green Lantern Corpsmen
High Wide and Handsome Probationary Member
Happy Camping!! -Andy
logman7777
500 Club

Postby ae6black » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:28 pm

I don't get the big draw of cooking with bacon Grease even on top of a bees wax seasoning. Every time I try it, everything always sticks. When I try to cook eggs in bacon grease like I did when I was a kid, they get crusty and always stick to the pan. Gotta be doing something wrong. I can remember Grandmother keeping the bacon grease drippings in a pan by the stove and using it with almost everything. I have much better luck with spray veggie oil on a bees wax seasoned skillet.

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:11 pm

Art, are you heating the pan up very well before starting to cook with it?
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:39 am

Eggs in cast iron...... Get the oil hot( smoking hot) turn the heat off count to 60 and drop in the eggs. They will skate around. A cool skillet allows the egg to settle thru the layer of oil before it starts to cook giving it time to attach itself to the cast.
Try it and report back !
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby ae6black » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:46 pm

typically, i preheat the skillet then start frying the bacon on very low heat. I move it around a lot so it doesn't stick. Than then when the bacon is done and put on the plate with a paper towel underneath to soak up excess grease, I crack a few eggs and let them sizzle in the hot skillet that has plenty of bacon grease in it, they always stick. When I cook with just sprayed on cooking spray starting with a cleaned with hot water ci skillet, my eggs come out perfectly.

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Return to Cast Iron