Cast Iron Hibachi Grill

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Cast Iron Hibachi Grill

Postby elginrunner » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:15 pm

My husband and I are relatively new to this forum - we have finally joined and are planning our teardrop build in the near future. In the meantime, we are always on the lookout for camping and fishing gear at yard sales, etc. Last weekend I came across this cast iron hibachi grill.....it has "Vicki Hibachi" on the front and the wood handles and wood base are still intact. Although it's rusted and needs some TLC, I couldn't resist when I asked the price and the response was "25 cents".....hubby may not have made the decision to buy it considering he is the one that will be sandblasting away the rust! LOL

elginrunner
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:45 pm

Great buy for sure. Try Electrolysis for the rust. It is cheap and easy and better for the metal. There is a sticky above on the topic if you are not familiar with the process.

Welcome to the board!!!!!
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby elginrunnerswife » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:06 pm

oops, thought I was logged in as me and not hubby.....but thanks for that info, we'll check it out!

~ERW
elginrunnerswife
Teardrop Inspector

Postby elginrunner » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:29 am

I was a gunsmith in a former life... I'll blast at 40 psi with 180 aluminum oxide.... is about as gentle as your can get this side of walnut media...... It doesn't harm aluminum housing, I'm sure that cast iron can take it!! Besides, these days I have to use any excuse I can to play with my toys....
elginrunner
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Cast Iron