How about a Cast Iron forum section???...

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Break the bank

Postby Guy » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:18 pm

Dear Earl,

They play "break the bank". :D

But they do some mean cookin' in them. Dean has a whole collection of small ones. At the next IRG he plans on making individual Prime Ribs for all attendees.
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:22 pm

Earl,
Jim's inlaws live in Japan.
That was our magic connection.
I think Jim is leaning towards selling his... Wasn't happy with the shipping cost.
I was tickled pink just to get one...
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby Loader » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:40 pm

Hello Guy. Hope all is well. You are right, some of that iron can be high, and to think they call oil "black gold".

Thanks Dean, I figured a connection had to be in place. I just returned from a couple weeks in Korea, didn't see anything like that there. Figures, I lived in Japan for 4 years, and Lodge wasn't marketing it then.

I would think the shipping would be high, unless you have a military connection that can use an APO address, then you'd be ok.
Earl & Kerry

"Loader"

Blue Yonder Build Thread - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42611

ImageImage
Loader
Platinum Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:46 pm

I think they are out of the reissue ovens. My connection over there said that the only ones they could find were about $600.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:34 pm

madjack wrote:...seems to me, that this IS the cast iron section...not much else gets put here that is not CI related...if we started a CI section, we might as well delete this forum because it won't get used much anymore......
madjack 8)

My My... Aren't we a killjoy today. :R
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby cherokeegeorge » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:53 am

Hey Dean asI recall Jack dosn't own any iron........hmmmm. :thinking:
George

For info on hitch covers
Teardrophitchcovers.com
cherokeegeorge
A Merkin Indian

Postby madjack » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:10 am

cherokeegeorge wrote:Hey Dean asI recall Jack dosn't own any iron........hmmmm. :thinking:

...actually George, I own quite a bit of iron...it's just that none of it has legs or flat lids and it was all meant to be used on a stove top, hung over a fire or in an oven...as to my other post...just the facts m'am just the facts :D
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Joanne » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:01 am

Hey Jack,

I just posted a nice Garlic-Herb Bread recipe here the other day. Of course I made it in a DO, but there is no reason it couldn't be cooked in one of the Outback Ovens.

As a side note, I diced and dried some of the leftover garlic-herb rolls to make dressing with and it came out GREAT!

I think there have been some really good recipes posted here. I don't post here very often because I only like to post the recipes that I have tried and enjoyed. On the cooking group I'm on a lot of folks just post recipes that they have never actually cooked.

Joanne

madjack wrote:
cherokeegeorge wrote:Hey Dean asI recall Jack dosn't own any iron........hmmmm. :thinking:

...actually George, I own quite a bit of iron...it's just that none of it has legs or flat lids and it was all meant to be used on a stove top, hung over a fire or in an oven...as to my other post...just the facts m'am just the facts :D
madjack 8)
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby wolfy » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:36 pm

I'm a new member and a dutch oven cook since the Last Whole Earth Catalog days...which means I'm a SEASONED D/O cook. My brother and I lived out of one on our way to Alaska in our converted '67 VW bus converted into a camper from J.C. Whitney plans in '72.....that's a whole 'nuther story and I could write a book. I kept the journals that I wrote and took lots of slide pictures with my old Minolta 101. I have considered writing it up as a book as it was reminiscent of Bill Bryson's Thunderbolt Kid crossed with some Steinbeck, Kerouac, and Kurault.

I think this cast iron section is a great idea! I like this place, but it's mainly because of this section, the camping tips, and the cheap traveling that the tears make possible. I've got lots of stories, but I think I got off on the wrong foot with my tongue-in-cheek first post. Sorry if it did, but it kind of tends to be my style :BE
wolfy
Teardrop Builder

Postby Joanne » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:06 pm

Hey Wolfy,

I understand the whole foot-in-mouth problem. I've eaten my share shoe leather. :lol: I'm sure as you spend more time here and folks get to know you, things will be just fine.

I have a fantasy to spend a year or two doing the "gypsey" traveling thing. Unfortunately I have a job and two kids who will be heading for college in the next few years. I think it's going to remain a fantasy for the foreseeable future... :oops: Oh well.

It's good to see another "iron bottom" around here. :lol:

Joanne

wolfy wrote:I'm a new member and a dutch oven cook since the Last Whole Earth Catalog days...which means I'm a SEASONED D/O cook. My brother and I lived out of one on our way to Alaska in our converted '67 VW bus converted into a camper from J.C. Whitney plans in '72.....that's a whole 'nuther story and I could write a book. I kept the journals that I wrote and took lots of slide pictures with my old Minolta 101. I have considered writing it up as a book as it was reminiscent of Bill Bryson's Thunderbolt Kid crossed with some Steinbeck, Kerouac, and Kurault.

I think this cast iron section is a great idea! I like this place, but it's mainly because of this section, the camping tips, and the cheap traveling that the tears make possible. I've got lots of stories, but I think I got off on the wrong foot with my tongue-in-cheek first post. Sorry if it did, but it kind of tends to be my style :BE
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby cherokeegeorge » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:44 am

sorry Jack.I must plead temporary insanity as an up and coming dutch ovener I sometimes forget that theres other kinds of iron out there. My deepest apologiesto the man whose iron has no legs. :lol:

I still like the original idea though.
George

For info on hitch covers
Teardrophitchcovers.com
cherokeegeorge
A Merkin Indian

do section

Postby Eunice » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:17 pm

what happened to this? It just sort of dropped off. Are we going to get a cast iron section?
Eunice
Eunice
former director
Jefferson State Chapter
TearJerkersImage
Eunice
Jefferson State Tearjerker

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:35 pm

Well,
It'd be real easy for me to go in and do some tweaking to the management page in the forum administration section, but Jack seemed to think that the recipe section would die if we did that...
Personally, I think both a recipe section and a cast iron section would do just fine, but I don't want to cause any waves around here...
I was a big wave maker here in the past and quite frankly, I kinda like the low profile status these days...
Jack is without a computer at the moment and I'd like for him to agree with doing this, 'cause he puts his heart and soul into this forum... It's kinda like his baby.
Just wish Jack's iron would grow legs... :lol:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby dmb90260 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:46 pm

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:Jack is without a computer at the moment and I'd like for him to agree with doing this, 'cause he puts his heart and soul into this forum... It's kinda like his baby. Just wish Jack's iron would grow legs... :lol:

Is he really without a computer or has he just been lost in the vortex of the Thread Killer Thread? Someone should kill that thing but make sure Jack is clear first.
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:01 pm

Oh what the hey... Let's try it.
There is now a Cast Iron forum just below Recipes on the General Index page...
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

PreviousNext

Return to Cast Iron