Griswold vs Wagner waffle irons....

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Griswold vs Wagner waffle irons....

Postby doug hodder » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:07 am

Having cooked on both, I was wondering if you guys with a Wagner could tell me if the divider bars and waffle points are recessed from the outer edge or up almost flush with it. I borrowed Kevins and it's a cookin' mutha' on my Griswold I find that I can cook them just fine, but the divider bars are so close that when they drop out of the iron, the break at the joint and the clearance between the open holes is really close...a fresh batch of batter will lift the top iron as it begins to cook, something that didn't happen with Kevins...

I think I need some more practice before SLO....and seeings how it's just me...I've had my fill of waffles already... :thinking: Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Re: Griswold vs Wagner waffle irons....

Postby Kevin A » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:15 am

doug hodder wrote:Having cooked on both, I was wondering if you guys with a Wagner could tell me if the divider bars and waffle points are recessed from the outer edge or up almost flush with it. I borrowed Kevins and it's a cookin' mutha' on my Griswold I find that I can cook them just fine, but the divider bars are so close that when they drop out of the iron, the break at the joint and the clearance between the open holes is really close...a fresh batch of batter will lift the top iron as it begins to cook, something that didn't happen with Kevins...

I think I need some more practice before SLO....and seeings how it's just me...I've had my fill of waffles already... :thinking: Doug

Doug,
Both of mine, Wagner and Alfred Andresen (made by Griswold) have recessed divider bars. It's only a slight recess though. The points have more recession.
BTW, have you considered tossing the practice waffles in your freezer? :roll: ;) :lol:
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Re: Griswold vs Wagner waffle irons....

Postby doug hodder » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:26 am

doug hodder wrote:BTW, have you considered tossing the practice waffles in your freezer? :roll: ;) :lol:

Yes Kevin...that's where they are...I've got breakfast for the next week all made... ;) Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:50 pm

Doug,
I've noticed that with on the Heart Star, but they haven't been breaking appart on me...
Speaking of the Heart Star...
I had to take it to Kev's shop yesterday and bead blast it after the vanilla cream cheese incident...
Boy am I dumb...
I brought it home and tried something new on seasoning a fresh piece of iron...
I stuck the irons in my gas range to heat them up before putting oil to 'em.
My objective (Silly Norwegian) was to get the metal hot so the oil would penitrate deeper into the cast iron before flashing, giving me a better coat of initial seasoning... Still sounds good, but...
Maybe it was because it's a gas stove as opposed to electric... The damn things came out with a fine haze of rust on 'em from water vapor in the oven I guess... :?
I sure have been noticing lately that deep thinking things has been causing me more problems than success...
(Kevin, if you read this before heading into town, I'll take you up on that offer...)
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby pgwilli » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:53 pm

Vanilla Cream Cheese Incident!! :thinking:
I think I missed that one Dean...care to elaborate :lol:
Paul, Norma & the Girls
2014 Escape 21
2006 Chevy Trailblazer
pgwilli
Lifetime member

Return to Cast Iron