Animal or Vegitable fat for seasoning?

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Animal or Vegitable fat for seasoning?

Postby caseydog » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:00 pm

I am a diehard believer in using animal fat, like lard, to season cast iron. But a lot of web sites say to use Crisco and other vegitable fats.

I find that vegitable fats leave my CI sticky. I hate that.

Am I starting a Ford vs. Chevy kind of argument?

Let's hear form the rest of the CI folks here.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:04 pm

Olive Oil is the healthiest and I use it in the spray can, it's great :thumbsup: Lard isn't allowed in this house. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby doug hodder » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:36 pm

Caseydog...I use Crisco on mine, and they aren't sticky, meaning gummy from oil, at all...you just need to season them off hot/long enough so that any stickiness is gone....I think the big thing is...no salt in the oil used. I have a Cabelas 12" DO that isn't as smooth of a casting as some of the older vintage iron, but it still comes clean like it's non-stick...the one I got with the custom made lid however....I'm afraid it's going to be tough to cook in without much clean up...it's a rough casting, and I've done a bunch of seasoning on it. Kevin and Dean have access to a bead blaster, so can blast the face on a waffle iron without tearing it up...I've cooked with their iron and it's killer for non stick, when well seasoned...Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby pgwilli » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:53 pm

My 10th grade Biology teacher taught us in '68 that hydrogenated vegetable oil was worse for you than animal fat…
That said, I use Crisco on my DO’s. By the time you bond it on to the C.I. surface in the seasoning process, you r cholesterol won’t notice the difference…
And Danny you're right about cooking oil, but I hate to think about trying to use olive oil for any high heat applications.
Paul, Norma & the Girls
2014 Escape 21
2006 Chevy Trailblazer
pgwilli
Lifetime member

Postby Eunice » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:32 pm

halfdome, Danny wrote:Olive Oil is the healthiest and I use it in the spray can, it's great :thumbsup: Lard isn't allowed in this house. :D Danny

I had the same thought as Paul. Danny when you season/reseason your DO doesnt it smoke at high temps using the olive oil?
Eunice
Eunice
former director
Jefferson State Chapter
TearJerkersImage
Eunice
Jefferson State Tearjerker

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:20 pm

After I do an initial seasoning of Crisco, all I use after that is olive oil...
Whether it be wiped on or sprayed on...
I pretty much lube up the inside of the oven with olive oil before cooking and if it's wet or tacky after washing with hot water, I throw it in the oven when I get home.
I don't like storing my iron with wet or tacky oil on it...
When I first started my stack, I did just what manufacturers advised... Wiped them down with oil, inside and out.
My stack glistened for about ten minutes, then I noticed something...
Wet oil on the outside of a DO is a great magnet for cat hair...
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby doug hodder » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:24 pm

Dean....shave the cat...that's what I did to Daisy!!! :lol: :lol: doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Re: Animal or Vegitable fat for seasoning?

Postby Joanne » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:31 pm

caseydog wrote:I am a diehard believer in using animal fat, like lard, to season cast iron. But a lot of web sites say to use Crisco and other vegitable fats.

I find that vegitable fats leave my CI sticky. I hate that.

Am I starting a Ford vs. Chevy kind of argument?

Let's hear form the rest of the CI folks here.

CD

Hey CD,

I user Crisco for the initial seasoning (high temp 500 degrees or so). I use Pam or veggie oil after washing.

A lot of my recipes call for precooked hamburger or sausage, so that adds to the seasoning. In a sense we are all seasoning our ovens with animal fat every time we fry or sear meat.

The only criticism I've heard about using animal fat is the possibility that the oven could go rancid if you don't use it regularly.

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby asianflava » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:07 am

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:My stack glistened for about ten minutes, then I noticed something...
Wet oil on the outside of a DO is a great magnet for cat hair...

Not if you have them in bags. Our cat climbs all over them but no hair stuck to the ovens.

I prefer vegtable oil. Used on my iron and it isn't sticky. I've heard that the bad thing about using animal fat is that it can turn rancid. Though, I don't know what kind of time frame they are talking about.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby caseydog » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:31 am

I am not talking about using lard to lube my pan for cooking, or for a wipe-down after washing. I just use it to do the actual seasoning of the cast iron.

When cooking meats, I let the fat in the meat do the lubing, if there is enough fat in the meat. I try to use butter, in very small amounts, if I need a little extra fat while cooking in my seasoned cast iron.

When I cook in my All Clad try-ply cookware, I use olive oil as the fat. Same with my coated cast iron. I can wash those with soap, so the residue doesn't matter, anyway.

I just have found that using a vegetable fat for the actual seasoning always leaves my cast iron sticky. And when I had two dogs in the same house as the sticky cast iron, things got nasty in a hurry.

As for health concerns, I wouldn't think it would matter what you SEASON a pan with. I would never, ever COOK with lard. And, I only cook in my seasoned cast iron when I go camping, for the most part. I don't consider the healthiness of foods when I camp cook. My philosophy is to TRY to eat healthy every day, but when on teardrop time, bring on the red meat, bacon and eggs, and fry 'em up in butter.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:43 pm

keneunice wrote:
halfdome, Danny wrote:Olive Oil is the healthiest and I use it in the spray can, it's great :thumbsup: Lard isn't allowed in this house. :D Danny

I had the same thought as Paul. Danny when you season/reseason your DO doesn't it smoke at high temps using the olive oil?
Eunice

I haven't had to re-season my 2 D.O.'s they are fairly new. I think the Griswold waffle iron I just won I'm going to strip it and re-season it but maybe with Crisco as so many here have suggested and then cook with the olive oil. My meats are always the leanest available so I can't rely on them for seasoning too much. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby jeepr » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:39 pm

I seasoned mine with Crisco. It seems to have left a good coating, not sticky. I know my Grandmother used good old lard for seasoning and cooking.. But I don't think her cast iron cooked any better than mine.
Mike C.
jeepr
The 300 Club

Return to Cast Iron