How do you "Pack Iron"?

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

How do you "Pack Iron"?

Postby Steve Frederick » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:57 am

For those who bring iron camping, how do you pack it?
Bring just what you need, packed in the car?
Bring a basic set up, stored in a permanent spot in the camper?
How do you keep pieces from bangin' around in transit??
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Re: How do you "Pack Iron"?

Postby Joanne » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:44 am

Steve Frederick wrote:For those who bring iron camping, how do you pack it?
Bring just what you need, packed in the car?
Bring a basic set up, stored in a permanent spot in the camper?
How do you keep pieces from bangin' around in transit??

Steve,

I've been thinking about this issue too. Generally I just load the ovens and other DO equipment in the back of the SUV, but they take up a lot of space. I now have a rubbermaid toughbox that I put the chimneys, lid lifters, a small shovel, gloves, lid stands, and such into. That way I can throw that in knowing that I have all the little "stuff" and won't get to the campsite and realize I don't have everything.

The ovens are a different challenge for me. I had considered stacking them one inside of another, but I don't want the feet of one oven scratching the cooking surface of the one it is nested in. I think that making hardboard disks to sit in the bottom of each oven would solve that issue. Now I'm considering building a plywood box to hold the stacked ovens. The box would be partitioned with one large space for the ovens and a series of small partitions to slide each of the lids into. The box would be loaded from the top, so the lids would sit vertically on their edge.

I figure I could transport 3 to 4 ovens in each box.

I don't know if I'll start a box this weekend or not. Regardless I should grab a sheet of hardboard and cut the various sized disks.

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:54 am

Steve,
Are you considering making a CI Packer's CD?... :twisted:
(Put me down for one...)
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby Steve Frederick » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:34 pm

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:Steve,
(Put me down for one...)

Nah! Just have a slide-out drawer..thinking about whether to put iron in there, since I cook something in iron on most every trip.

I am already using the disk in the bottom idea..cut disks of 1/4" ply to keep feet from digging up the inside of the oven below.

Joanne, I like that partitioned box idea! Might try building one to fit that pull-out!! :thinking:
Blessings, Steve
Building Journals
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Postby Steve Frederick » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:44 pm

(Put me down for one...)

Want to pose for the cover???
Nothin' like a shot of a man "Packin" :lol: :lol:
Blessings, Steve
Building Journals
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Postby pgwilli » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:54 pm

Uh ...how much do 3-4 ovens weigh? Sounds kinda heavy to have all in one piece.
We keep them in separate canvas or nylon bags and just load them into the cabin. The number and size we take depends on what Norma is planning to cook.
We sleep on a 2" matress topper that we roll up when we travel so it stays clean. There are other foam pads under that when we sleep.
Ovens, chairs, tarps & such are arranged on the 4" foam pads that cover the floor of the cabin. That seems to keep them from bouncing around too much & I try to load the softer stuff around the walls to protect them.
Not exactly a place for every thing, but it works for us.
Paul, Norma & the Girls
2014 Escape 21
2006 Chevy Trailblazer
pgwilli
Lifetime member

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:13 pm

Steve Frederick wrote:
(Put me down for one...)

Want to pose for the cover???
Nothin' like a shot of a man "Packin" :lol: :lol:

Steve,
There's a shot I'm just itchin' to take... But I gotta get Little Feather done first.
I'm gonna do spoof shot just for fun...
Gonna take every piece of iron I got and stack it up around the galley. :lol:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby rbeemer » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:20 pm

Joanne,

I am in the process of making wooden boxes for my CI that will hold one pot per box with a seperation so the lid is part and the bottom in the other so I do not have to worry about condensation when stored. These boxes would also protect the CI from banging around and possibly cracking or chipping. The boxes will be made of a hardwood(oak or hard maple) for durability with an oil finish, they will not be masterpieces just very functional, will use dovetails to keep boxes together.

Having only one per box makes them alot easier to move.
Rick

If ducks had scales, would fish quack?
rbeemer
500 Club

Postby Joanne » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:59 pm

rbeemer wrote:Joanne,

I am in the process of making wooden boxes for my CI that will hold one pot per box with a seperation so the lid is part and the bottom in the other so I do not have to worry about condensation when stored. These boxes would also protect the CI from banging around and possibly cracking or chipping. The boxes will be made of a hardwood(oak or hard maple) for durability with an oil finish, they will not be masterpieces just very functional, will use dovetails to keep boxes together.

Having only one per box makes them alot easier to move.

I agree about your boxes being easier to move (and store) with one oven per box. I'm just trying to figure out a way to condense the volume of camping equipment I pack into the back of the SUV. When I go to a Dutch Oven Gathering I generally take two pop up shades, collapsable sawhorses and a house door for a food prep table, a steel DO cooking table, 8 to 10 ovens (sometimes more), 3 charcoal chimneys, two lid lifters and 40 lbs or more of charcoal.

(oh, and don't forget the 4 dogs :roll: )

If I can safely condense the ovens it would save me some much needed space.

I believe it was Danny who made these boxes for his DOs. I envision that these are similar to the ones you are making? I may try to make some like this as well.

I have an antique cast iron spider skillet that I am going to have to make a box for. The handle is quite long and thin so it would break easily. It's going to get its very own box.

rbeemer, post some pictures when you get yours done! I'd love to see them.

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby halfdome, Danny » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:06 pm

Joanne wrote:
rbeemer wrote:Joanne,
I believe it was Danny who made these boxes for his DOs.
Joanne

I haven't made anything to pack iron just nest dishes and other items inside & put them on the bottom/floor of the galley. I found out that I need to wrap what ever is nested in cloth material because in a 2,000 + mile trip the dishes rubbed off some of the seasoning. For those who pack lots & lots of iron , there's just no hope for you :lol: Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby wolfy » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:25 pm

There are all kinds of polyvinyl caps and such available at the local Menard's or Home Depot.....they usually come in sets of 4-8 in the bubble
pack or clamshell packaging. This gives you the option of having a couple extra in case you lose one or two. They're lots lighter than hardboard or plywood discs and WAY cheaper, & will not scuff the seasoning,,,,,,,,,,,,and 'specially so, if you pack the way you season........oven body downside-up with the lid topside-up on the legs of the oven. With the lighter lid on top of the legs of the oven body there will be less chance of abrading the most important part of the oven. Not to say that the seasoning on the underside of the lid when it is in the "cooking position and not the 'transport position....which are one in the same is not important :lol: , but when was the last time any of you have had a prollem' with your dishes stickin' to the lid :thinking:....unless it was just a fancy trick in liftin that mass of sticky-buns out of the oven without the advantage of a hot pad?

Didy'a :scratchthinking: yer' heads any in that description :thinking: . The individual boxes for each oven are the way to go for most of the seldom-used ovens, but for the two that you use the most....I'd say one box for the two of them and in the front of the compartment where they are contained. One huge yank and a grunt will get 'em on the ground and yer' good to go.
wolfy
Teardrop Builder

Postby doug hodder » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:48 pm

I've just been using a plastic commercial milk crate...measures 12x 18x 11, what's nice is that it has 2 handles built in and can deal with the weight...but am planning on some sort of a box in the future, need to figure out how to nest it all to minimize space and just got to remember to build it so that I don't get it loaded up and cause a hernia trying to get it in and out of the pickup. Skillets (2 small ones) in the trailer, DO's and waffle iron in the truck.

Courtney and Roy have a really neat idea...she got some old 35MM theater film storage containers, I think they are injected ABS plastic...holds a 12 DO perfectly, handles and latches...cool !! Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby jplock » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:35 pm

My iron is mostly stored in the under floor storage area. I keep the chacoal chiminey, Griddle (In blue blue case made out of old blue jeans) Case, waffle iron,lantern, the 12" DO sets inside the donut spare tire wheel, and my 10" DO is stored in the galley area for easy access while traveling. We dig out the big guns in the under floor storage when we are parked for several days. Even with all this stuff the tongue weight is around 160 lbs., so the tounge jack is a nescessity.

:) :) :)
jplock
Keep smiling!
jplock
500 Club

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:22 pm

I have a big starter chimney that my small DO & lid will fit into. I pack that into the small charcoal pan and all that on top of the little charcoal grate. It all fits in a 10" area. This all goes in the cargo area of the trailer. The bigger Do's go in the car.

This year I'll take along the Brinkman Smoker and pack it partly in the car and trailer.

I love to cook even for myself and the DO :applause: and the Smoker make it more fun. :thumbsup:
Last edited by Kurt (Indiana) on Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:22 pm

Sometimes I like to try different things . The Waffle maker will go along this year and will be packed in the trailer.
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Next

Return to Cast Iron