Found a Goldmine of Iron

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Postby dmb90260 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:20 am

Brick:

It turns out you got the best buy. My low waffle iron arrived today and one of the ball swivel things is broken off. It looks like a fairly new break. After checking the packaging I looked at the ebay pictures again. It was missing then too. I am learning to look closer, the seller did not try to hide the problem. I am not all that bothered, I now have a fully functional base for $10 and waffle irons needing a bases show up all the time. This is a Wagner 1892 model and there are some up already. I am off to the Trailer Trash Bash in Albuquerque next week and having my trailer reskinned there the following week. The work is being done by Larry Hill of Retro Restoration. When I am back home in early Sept I will start the hunt again and probably use the snipe software.
Right now I have two waffle irons and neither looks a nice as yours.
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Podunkfla » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:38 am

dmb90260 wrote:Brick:

It turns out you got the best buy. My low waffle iron arrived today and one of the ball swivel things is broken off. It looks like a fairly new break. After checking the packaging I looked at the ebay pictures again. It was missing then too. I am learning to look closer, the seller did not try to hide the problem. I am not all that bothered, I now have a fully functional base for $10 and waffle irons needing a bases show up all the time. This is a Wagner 1892 model and there are some up already. I am off to the Trailer Trash Bash in Albuquerque next week and having my trailer reskinned there the following week. The work is being done by Larry Hill of Retro Restoration. When I am back home in early Sept I will start the hunt again and probably use the snipe software.
Right now I have two waffle irons and neither looks a nice as yours.

Dangit Dennis! Sorry about the busted waffle iron? Yep there's a couple more on there without bases... Only they seem to want just as much for them as a whole one? Yeah, I was really lucky as to how nice that last one I bought was. I now have two also. So, I guess I'll be lookin for other old iron now.
<B>~ Brick
<I>... I've done so much with so little for so long... Now I can do almost anything with nothing! </I></B>
Image...Lots more pix here!
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

Postby Kevin A » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:25 am

Dennis, can you post some pics of the break?
I'm wondering if it could be welded. We have some nickle rod at work that can be used to weld cast iron, you might look into that possibility.
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby dmb90260 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:36 pm

Kevin A wrote:Dennis, can you post some pics of the break?
I'm wondering if it could be welded. We have some nickle rod at work that can be used to weld cast iron, you might look into that possibility.

It is not a simple crack, the piece is broken off and missing. It is the round swivel piece. You should be able to see it here:
http://tinyurl.com/2zl5fp Or see where it used to be. :cry:
Dennis
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Kevin A » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:49 pm

dmb90260 wrote:
Kevin A wrote:Dennis, can you post some pics of the break?

It is not a simple crack, the piece is broken off and missing. It is the round swivel piece. You should be able to see it here:
http://tinyurl.com/2zl5fp Or see where it used to be. :cry:

Ah, I see what you mean. I didn't realize the piece was missing, BUMMER...
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby Mary K » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:01 am

Y'all Hijacking Cast Iron Crazy People... :lol: :lol:

Looks like I will be going back to Ma& Pa's Hardware to pick me...um..I mean, my "roommate" out a skillet. Can ya believe she asked for one for her birthday. I want to get a big one that you can cook a lot of spaghetti sauce in. Thats her favorite dish to make...and from scratch too.

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby forestfrog » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:43 am

MaryK wrote:I want to get a big one that you can cook a lot of spaghetti sauce in.

If you can't find one big enough, just let me know...the antique/thrift shop up the road has a cast iron section. They have a MONSTER Griswold (#14 I think), it has to be at least 16" in diameter and 3" deep....all for the bargin price of $165.00....OUCH! :shock: :?

Too rich for me, but it would hold alot of sauce, LOL! :lol:
Kristi
~*~Stand still and be awed by Nature...~*~
forestfrog
Teardrop Master

Postby Mary K » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:54 am

forestfrog wrote:
MaryK wrote:I want to get a big one that you can cook a lot of spaghetti sauce in.

If you can't find one big enough, just let me know...the antique/thrift shop up the road has a cast iron section. They have a MONSTER Griswold (#14 I think), it has to be at least 16" in diameter and 3" deep....all for the bargin price of $165.00....OUCH! :shock: :?

Too rich for me, but it would hold alot of sauce, LOL! :lol:

Ha!! Thanks, I'm getting heartburn just thinking about all that sauce it could make :lol:

:thinking: Yea, thats pricy.... $165...humm thats a new Fantastic Fan. Fan...Skillet...fan... skillet...hard choice... :no:

Mk.... er... I mean.... Spanky :Oh Brother:
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby dmb90260 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:59 pm

Kevin A wrote:Ah, I see what you mean. I didn't realize the piece was missing, BUMMER...

That just means when I get back from my trip next week I can start working on that e-bay gold star. I have see bases go for as much as the waffle irons so I am a little ahead of the game. 8) :D
Dennis
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:12 pm

Mary,
Cabela's has a 20" skillet for 39.00...
I came so close to having Kevin pick one up for me, but wanna keep TDN happy.
(I agreed to a cast iron moritorium for a while)
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

What's so great about this waffle iron?

Postby Podunkfla » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:15 am

Hmmm... $81.00! :shock:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0157914933
<B>~ Brick
<I>... I've done so much with so little for so long... Now I can do almost anything with nothing! </I></B>
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

Re: What's so great about this waffle iron?

Postby Eunice » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:43 am

Podunkfla wrote:Hmmm... $81.00! :shock:

I dont know but that same seller has a high base for 79.99 plus 39 shipping! think we have caused the prices to sky rocket since we have been buying so many!?
Eunice
Eunice
former director
Jefferson State Chapter
TearJerkersImage
Eunice
Jefferson State Tearjerker

Postby Podunkfla » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:42 pm

keneunice wrote:
Podunkfla wrote:Hmmm... $81.00! :shock:

I dont know but that same seller has a high base for 79.99 plus 39 shipping! think we have caused the prices to sky rocket since we have been buying so many!?
Eunice

Yep... I wouldn't be surprised we have inflated the asking prices of waffle irons quite a bit. I now see lots more with minimum bids way higher than I did a year ago. :o

I just cancled a bid on a neat "heart shaped" one a little while ago, after I PM him about shipping cause he wanted 25 bucks? I will prolly regret it though... it looked like a nice one and it went for $23.50. I have a feeling a member here got it. I think we are bidding against each other a lot too. :(

Funny thing is, one lady out there is buying all the heart shaped irons she can evidently? Her feedback shows she bought 4 in the last month or so... Some at amazing prices? Plus, there is one listed with a BIN of $300.!

I saw the same thing happen with Stanley/Bailey hand planes a few years ago. The average prices have at least doubled since then. Good for me I guess? I have about 50 of them... I may sell them off one day.

Note: Here's a nice one still at $9.45 with only 2 hours to go!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :WNA:US:12
<B>~ Brick
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

Postby Geron » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:00 pm

Podunkfla wrote:Note: Here's a nice one still at $9.45 with only 2 hours to go!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :WNA:US:12

Ok, Brick,

I have a watch on that one. We'll see how high it goes now.

I'm ready to start clickin'.

g
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby apratt » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:58 pm

Who is bidding on it?? if no one here I will try.

never mind it just went more than I wanted to pay by the time you figure in the shipping.
Arthur,

ASL spoken here
apratt
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cast Iron