DO-Cast Iron ?? from Novice user

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

DO-Cast Iron ?? from Novice user

Postby Nobody » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:37 pm

I just recently acquired (inadvertently :o ) a couple of No-Name dutch ovens. First an 8" (2qt ?) that appears to be unused, still has some of the wax preservative on it. Second a 10" (4qt ?) that has apparently had some use as it has some seasoning, with a few small (dime size) mild rust spots. Think I can get the rust off without having to resort to the electrolysis method :thinking: . There're no, none, zip, nada, identifying marks, stamps, etc., on either of them so I'll assume (yeah, I know what that makes me :roll: ) they're cheapies. Still, they appear to be pretty well made, walls are of even thickness, lids fit relatively tight & smooth with no rocking, & the bails are evenly curved where they fasten to the iron 'ears' so they raise & lower smoothly with no hang-ups. Question - The smaller one has legs that are approx 1 5/8" long (seems kinda tall?) & the legs on the larger one are barely 5/8" long. Anyone know of a reason for the disparity, & can these be used successfully with charcoal without using some sort of stand/support for the shorter legs? My first (and last) experience with DO cooking was as a teenager 50-some years ago. I cooked biscuits (from scratch) and cornbread (also from scratch) in a DO over/under campfire coals at hunting camp in the 1950's. Turned out pretty good as I remember, at least the other guys 'cleaned' 'em all up ;) . I'm not really thinkin' of going 'all out' on this DO thing but I might just do a little experimenting when the spirit moves 8)
Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

do cooking

Postby Eunice » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:28 pm

look at the recipes in the cookbook and the thread on this forum. It is a lot of fun and I am finding some great food!
Eunice
Eunice
former director
Jefferson State Chapter
TearJerkersImage
Eunice
Jefferson State Tearjerker

Postby doug hodder » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:57 pm

Harvey...you don't need to get out of control on it, but it does add to the fun of camping when you can do a 1 pot meal. I figure that it is something new to learn and will blow away those in the big RV's...hey, anyone can cook in a microwave!!! :lol: Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Return to Cast Iron