Oval Camp Oven

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Oval Camp Oven

Postby Woodbutcher » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:48 pm

My MIL called and said she saw a cast iron oval camp oven at an antique mall. She says it measures about 20" long. Stands on legs and has a flat lid with a rim for the coals. She could not remember if there was a bale handle on it. There were no makers marks on it. Has anyone seen a piece like this?
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby chezrad » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:11 pm

chezrad
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Woodbutcher » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:02 pm

No, she said it was a Dutch Oven with legs.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:31 am

I googled images for "cast iron roasters" and "oval camp ovens" and found several with flat lids and several with the liped coal lids but curiously none appeared to have legs.

This find sounds like something special !

Looks like someone is about to add to his collection. :thinking:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:10 am

Yea Bob, I spent some time last night searching and could not find any. My MIL will go back today and see if it is still there and is it really what she said it was. Thanks for looking.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:51 am

There is a lot of old, one off, stuff out there. If it's an oldie it will be baby butt smooth inside and rough as 40 grit sandpaper outside. The presence of a gate mark will date it to the late 1800's to the early 1900's ( those wiser please feel free to correct me if I am misinformed).

I am jealous if it is truly as described.

When visiting mom I HAVE to stop at Elvis's junk shop in Cave city KY a big monster table growning under the weight of a ton or two of cast iron. There is some junk iron but there are a lot of OLD OLD OLD stuff some unnamed some Griswold and Wagner. I found one nickle plated Griswold and the cross on the back all but covered the entire bottom of this 10?-12" skillet. Any big skillet $20.00 :thumbsup:

When (not if, when) you buy it we need pics !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:31 pm

Well the MIL went back today and looked more closely. It is large . It is on 4 feet. The inside is dished down or round as she described it. After a 15 minute conversation I am not really sure what I am going to get. She will go back and get it. I've wasted 20 bucks on weirder things then this. It could be awhile till I see her but I will post a picture of whatever this thing is.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:13 am

Woodbutcher wrote:Well the MIL went back today and looked more closely. It is large . It is on 4 feet. The inside is dished down or round as she described it. After a 15 minute conversation I am not really sure what I am going to get. She will go back and get it. I've wasted 20 bucks on weirder things then this. It could be awhile till I see her but I will post a picture of whatever this thing is.

When you first said oval I was thinking looking down on it I now think she was describing the side view which I would refer to more as bell like.

I bet I know ! Now that you described it as having the inside dished down and round. The bottom of the pot below is perfectly round , a jumbo softball would just set in the bottom.Here is my guess in the back of this group of some of my iron

Here is the same pot on the right!

They were called a Modlin or maudlin ( both spelled I am sure are wrong) and were used for boiling down jellies and jams. Often referred to (in error) as a bean pot.
They did not come with a lid originally as they were used to boil down the foods and the mositure needed to escape. However many adopted lids from other pots to cook other foods and even bake bread. We have made many monster loaves of bread in ours. I found a 10" lodge coal lid at a yard sale and it fit like a glove. They are great pots and it is probably quite old as most were replaced with aluminum in the late 1930's. Twenty dollars is a steal :x
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:26 am

Not sure Bob. It may be similar but she says it's oval in shape. There is a lid that fits but the handles on the two do not match. I think it will be a surprise when I get it.

You have a nice collection going there!
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby doitright » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:38 pm

Here is a photo of a pot I have. It has no top but dose have legs and a rounded bottom.

Hope this works have not done a photo in a good wile.
I have more photos of it in my album.
doitright
doitright
REAR DOOR CAMPER
1959 REAR DOOR SCOTTY
doitright
The 300 Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:18 am

That sure looks like what she described. Do you know what it was used for?
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Joamon » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:03 pm

I have looked at those before and I believe I was told they were used for making soap. Not sure.

Keith
Joamon
Teardrop Master

Postby doitright » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:55 pm

Woodbutcher wrote:That sure looks like what she described. Do you know what it was used for?

Well the last owner used it to start plants in. Other than that I know nothing. Sure wish I had a lid for mine.
doitright
doitright
REAR DOOR CAMPER
1959 REAR DOOR SCOTTY
doitright
The 300 Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:40 pm

Well it is just what "doitright" has, the exact same pot. But I still have no idea what it is for.

This shows the lid. Still don't know what it is?????

If anyone can help identify this thing let me know.

Thanks,
Steve
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Betsey » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:48 pm

It's a cast iron stove! The lid is the griddle & the pot is the oven...can use both at the same time. Although you might have to raise up the oven a bit...seems it legs are a tad short...

Looks to be in nice shape! Very interesting....

Betsey 8)
Betsey
1000 Club
1000 Club

Next

Return to Cast Iron