Reproduction Waffle Dog Irons

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Reproduction Waffle Dog Irons

Postby eamarquardt » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:35 pm

I went to Southern California's San Fernando Valley today and stopped by the Sheehan foundry to see how much it would cost to have the two halves of a waffle dog iron cast using an original as a pattern.

The fellow said that he'd have to use certified "food grade" aluminum (which he happens to have) that is free of lead, arsenic, cadmium, plutonium, and spent uranium, just to be on the safe side.

He quoted $35 per pair of castings (one waffle dog iron). To end up with a functioning waffle dog iron one will have to drill six holes, tap two of them to 1/4-20, use screws and nuts or rivets to hold the two halves together, obtain two 7" 1/4-20 carriage bolts, some wood dowel with a 1/4" hole though it, and a couple of push clips to keep the wood dowel handles in place on the carriage bolts.

One would then have a very passable replica of a genuine waffle dog iron. The reproduction casting would, though, be 1% smaller than the genuine article (although it would take a real expert to notice this discrepancy) as a result of using an original as a pattern and the molten aluminum shrinking 1% as it cools in the mold.

So, with shipping, maybe some tax, and the additional materials one would need to purchase, and a bit of time, it is possible to have a reproduction waffle dog iron for about $50. If anyone is interested, PM me with an email and we can move forward. I'd be willing to get the castings together, provide some instructions, and ship them out by the most cost effective means.

Unfortunately casting small numbers of an item using an original as a pattern is labor intensive.

I'm not entirely convinced that it would be a better alternative than scrounging or shopping EBay. As we know, the last EBay unit sold for over $90.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby DragonFire » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:44 pm

I'm thinking about it....I know they are still out there in the wild...but $50 is about what I'd be willing to pay on evilbay...

Let's see what others think of the idea. It's a good idea..and I'm glad you threw it to see how it sticks. Hopefully it will allow the T&TTT folks to have WD and the antique dealers selling to the Hawaiians can keep jacking up the prices..and we will be set. At least we will have an iron to start with..and if you can go big time with it and have someone do packaging, etc it would be better...

Can the foundry carve T&TTT in the mold? So ours would be unique to this forum?? That would be cool.. :thumbsup:
'79 Grasshopper
Coleman Keepers 200a Gang
DragonFire
Donating Member

Postby Ratkity » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:13 am

Sending PM!
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby wired » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:49 am

Well I am considering it. $50 is a bit more than I was figuring, plus, I LIKE plutonium in my waffle dog!
wired
The 300 Club

Postby logman7777 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:35 pm

I know I have already made my interest known but sign me up for 2 finished or unfinished when it all comes together..
Coleman Keepers 200A Gang
Green Lantern Corpsmen
High Wide and Handsome Probationary Member
Happy Camping!! -Andy
logman7777
500 Club

Postby Big Dan » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:04 pm

What about the patent. Will that be an issue for sales? Or is the patent void do to the fact that they are no longer in production?
"Happiness is only real when shared" Alexander Supertramp
Big Dan
The 300 Club

Postby eamarquardt » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:18 pm

Big Dan wrote:What about the patent. Will that be an issue for sales? Or is the patent void do to the fact that they are no longer in production?

Patents are valid for 25 years so the patent has long since expired. I plan on poking around on the internet to see if I can locate anyone associated with the patent.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby Catherine+twins » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:55 pm

I'm still in for one.

Now, of course, you need to put up a web page like the one for the repro Tostites, http://www.toastite.biz/?gclid=CIu5-aPd ... hwodqDYHCQ. Hopefully the ebay crazies who push the Waffledog prices above $100 will beat a path to your door!

8)

Catherine
Build Thread Penguino II: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54919
Build Thread Penguino I: viewtopic.php?t=44431
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
"Oh, no, there it goes!!" Nov 10, 2012 as Penguino I blew over in high winds
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby wagondude » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:11 pm

I'll have to run it up the flagpole to see what SWMBO says. She knows I'm looking for one, was just hoping I could get one for $30 or less. All the hoarders...er...collectors here have driven the price way too high for my cheap butt.

Bill

BTW, thanks for looking into this.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby hazelc » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:51 pm

I want one too. Just let me know the whats and when fors
when all this gets to the buying stage.
Hazelc
hazelc
Teardrop Advisor

Postby doug hodder » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:19 pm

wagondude wrote: All the hoarders...er...collectors here have driven the price way too high for my cheap butt.
Bill

I don't think anyone is hoarding and I think there is only 1 person with 2 on the TTT forum and he stumbled onto the 2nd one, we're just beating the drum on it all......Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby DragonFire » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:22 pm

He didn't stumble, he's just lucky! :lol:
'79 Grasshopper
Coleman Keepers 200a Gang
DragonFire
Donating Member

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:25 pm

And we beat the drum very well...
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby doug hodder » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:27 pm

Waffle iron, waffle dog, Coleman stuff....many drums to beat....Walking Eagle
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby wagondude » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:07 pm

doug hodder wrote:
wagondude wrote: All the hoarders...er...collectors here have driven the price way too high for my cheap butt.
Bill

I don't think anyone is hoarding and I think there is only 1 person with 2 on the TTT forum and he stumbled onto the 2nd one, we're just beating the drum on it all......Doug

I was just joking about the hoarding (we all know that's just the Coleman stuff :lol: ). I'm good to go so will PM my info shortly. Now I need to begin my search for my b-day lantern.

Bill
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Next

Return to Cast Iron